Deep Ellum Seeds – 6 month Update

Robert here, from Deep Ellum Seed company.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in our genes. We are incredibly humbled by the enthusiasm and grateful for all the support.

Last time that we posted was like early summer 2018 and a lot has happened since then.

I will save you some time and say now, that I will not be able to release beans for sale this month as originally planned.

I do have some seeds to give away, but not enough backstock to supply retailers. I’m hoping to have at least 2 strains out for 4/20 and a handful of others out towards the end of this year. I simply didn’t anticipate the demand but even if I had, I’m about 7 months behind schedule.

With respect to breeding, I hardly got any work done from April 2018 through October 2018.

Through a series of mistakes and missteps on my part, compounded by irrepressible actions of 3rd party individuals that the DoctorDank and I were involved with, and further exacerbated by inevitable “acts of God”, I lost what amounted to 7 calendar months’ worth of breeding time. I could write a novel about all the things that went sideways. I’m sure I will laugh about it someday.

In October I switched gears, restructured operations and by Christmas 2018, I had managed to get things back in order.

Then the next setback came.

My best friend and long-term business partner, DoctorDank, has since made the decision to step away from the seed company, in order to pursue more lucrative avenues of the cannabis industry.

The Doctor Dank’s family has expanded over the last year, and I can’t blame him for aspiring for more than just a lowly breeder’s salary. I wish him the best of luck in his endeavors. When he chooses to return, the DoctorDank will always have a home here at Deep Ellum.

So, as of today, as far as Deep Ellum Seeds goes, I’m running the show all by myself for the time being.

DoctorDank was the face of the company, he dealt with people and he did all the paperwork. It will be challenging for me to step into that role; I’m more comfortable around my plants than I am around people.

All posts under the handle: “deep_rob” will now be written by personally by me. I will do my best to keep up with social media, but please bear in mind that I’m doing this all by myself.

I am by no means deterred. These setbacks only serve to solidify my dedication and strengthen my work ethic. I’m confident that if I stay focused and motivated, I will be able to adapt and overcome.

THE LABEL
I have my genes which are the majority of the label’s breeding stock, except for some of the Mexicans and some of the Afghans that were the Doctor’s.
He kept most of his father’s lines from the 70’s and 80’s and I also gave him a selection of my genes.
I retained The Black, but only b/c DoctorDank simply hasn’t retrieved them yet. The loss of some of his Mexicans and Afghans does change some of my projects and cancel some ongoing things, but I can deal.

THE BLACK
Although I have the only living Blacks, I’ve listed them as “static”. I’m just sitting on them. Out of respect to DoctorDank, I will NOT be releasing The Black under the Deep Ellum label. Perhaps things will change, but right now, I dont feel that it’s cool to release his baby, given the history and how BC Bud Depot fucked us. I do however, have Black hybrids that I will release, as I have no moral objection to hybrids.

CBD
Something else that the DoctorDank has that I dont, are advanced chemistry degrees. So I lost all lab access, which means my CBD lines are at a standstill.
My CBD lines that I have now in seed form, are variable like most CBD seeds out there already.
So my CBD projects are all on hold until I can get lab access, in order to assist me in stabilizing the lines. If I drop any CBDs, it will be S1’s off my female that we already know the percentages, and with an explicit disclaimer denoting variability.

NEW GENES
In order to stay relevant, I have been acquiring new genes to work into my antiquated lines.
I bought some retail beans and I traded some of my cuts for other cuts. I did make an attempt to purchase cuts, but the first dude that I encountered was kind of a dick. So I abandoned the idea and simply traded with people locally. I’m still looking for new stuff though.
I love my old Dutch stuff and Texas lines, but I feel that I need to infuse in new blood if I’m going to compete with the thousand-some-odd breeders that there are nowadays.

One final note: last year, I allowed others to sign-off on the free Black/Champagnes, however I would’ve liked to seen a bit more stability before we sent them out. Now, since I’m doing this by myself, the choice of when to release beans is all mine and I’m holding back on stuff until I am totally satisfied.

Once I wrap up the next few test runs, I will have some stock to release.

I sincerely thank everyone for all your patience and continued support.

I’ll be in touch, cheers!

–rob

16 Likes

Good to see ya back!

Lot of ups and downs but it seems you have a plan and it all starts there!

3 Likes

All of these ups and downs mean that you will come back stronger than ever. Looking forward for your beans.

3 Likes

Damn! That really sucks though your persevering and moving forward in spite of all the obstacles…anything worth pursuing is often difficult :wink:

That’s too bad as the 3 I have going now are looking pretty uniform and really good

Currently on their 4th week and sexing under 12/12 before the final pot…i’ll definitely keep an eye on them :wink:

5 Likes

Hey @deep_rob, good to see you around again. I hope all those troubles and challenges are behind you and have given you something to help you moving forward. Just wanted to show you what I got out of The Black/Champagne beans I got from you. These babies are at 7 weeks after the flip and doing well. Will be wrapping them up any day now. Hope things work out well for you.

(Edited because I accidentally posted the same pic twice on the first one. Second pic shows the size of the huge cola on the other plant.)

10 Likes

Whelp, I dunno where else to put this soooo…

Out of the 3 plants I showed ~8wks ago of the Black x Champage, only 1 was/is a girl though that’s all I need to try this creation out. She went from this…

To this in 4 short weeks

I’ll update again at the end of the bud run :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes