Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

@potpotpot @FieldEffect its very low odor! It’s been steamed and ground like bone meal but I think it smells less. It’s a nice creamy white/golden color so not bleached or anything but the steam sterilization makes it just sort of dry fishy boney smelling, I like it actually. It smells like a human food grade product. It’s one of the least smelly things I use honestly, I don’t notice a funky decay smell with it like I do bone meal from cows even when it’s just as clean to start. If there’s anything I’m questioning using inside it’s Photosynthesis Plus, that PSB/PNSB smells exactly like an enhanced version of the swamp I grew up next to in late summer. Whew!

4 Likes

Ahh good, that’s a relief haha. Didn’t want my house to smell like low tide haha.

And my wife is actually awesome with all the inconveniences of indoor growing. The only thing that has ever been an issue was when I had a bunch of garden starts in the living room and gave them all some garden tone. That smelled really horrible haha.

4 Likes

Oh yeah for sure the Espoma -Tone products are awesome and also smell like hell, I use Tomato Tone when I reamend dirt but I’d never topdress with it indoors my god

8 Likes

Some updates from the nug dungeon:

Vortex seed run just finished Week 9:

Plants from @catapult are looking sweet:

Cat Scratch Skunk

MM#31 reveg

JTR moms x2

Some Black Cherry Soda BX and Bay Breeze cuts that are soldiering on in plugs

And then a few seedlings that are ready to pot up to flowering size containers, mostly @dinopartychucks fems but another TGTB G-Unit fem in there too

24 Likes

Ortega Mix buds, nice daytime hybrid smoke I definitely didn’t end up with the pure Ortega this time, too balanced and foxtaily:

26 Likes

Thanks to @Stinky for today’s mail call, some Euro outdoor classics to try this year in New England and chuck onto/with:

17 Likes

Very cool….hardy outdoor genetics! I have always wanted to run viking and the guerrilla gold.

7 Likes

Ya! I love these lines they sound amazing and like some real throwback genetics to when cannabis had to adapt or die. It’s incredible what some of these Danish breeders and Canadians etc have done with a few decades of hybridizing landraces and acclimating them to new latitudes and elevations. Also the use of auto or semi-autoflower tendencies in the pre-automatic breeding era, this is really where that stuff comes from at least philosophically, all these breeders and chuckers selecting for the early flower or auto flower traits they found in Thai (Thaiphoon), Afghani (Viking), Lebanese (Leb27), Moroccan (Early Maroc), Swiss (Erdbeer/-purt) and Siberian ruderalis too (Mighty Mite/Guerilla Gold).

I’m trying to expand my collection of Northern OD heirlooms and acclimated landraces especially from Esbe, Bald Man Lala, Philosopher, ACE/RSC and the like. I can really see myself getting into using those hardy and vigorous genetics to both have easy plants for new growers with yard space I want to help out, and the potential of crossing those into our beloved modern selections of things to add toughness speed and raw weird cannabinoid and terp profiles.

12 Likes

Hi @Dirt_Wizard, good to see the seeds made it to your end! Thanks for the mention :slight_smile:

Really hope you’ll take the lines further or make some nice crosses with them. Next summer I will pop a few of my leb27 x viking cross I made a few years back. I’ve seen many really nice phenos in my friends gardens from that cross.

Good luck my friend!

12 Likes

Yes I will definitely be using and spreading these genetics besides trying to reproduce some more myself to have a stateside stash and another Fgen to return to you! Thanks for the chance at these, I have to send something back for you that’ll do well at 50N soon, I am happy we can all share these old and rugged genetics to bring health back to a tired gene pool of indoor only breeding

8 Likes

I smell thrips, those little buggers!

1 Like

Man I’m fighting off thrips like a mofo right now! I went away for a week and made the mistake of putting down a very rich compost tea on everything in my dirty tents and came back to a nightmare of a lesson to learn about that. Currently cleaning and spraying daily and getting them under control but I’m gonna have to wash everything flowering right now very thoroughly uuuuuughhh.

I’m slowly winning the battle with BTI, PureCrop1, and Safer insecticidal soap, I gotta get some sticky tape up today in every tent and also hit them with a silica foliar

6 Likes

Been dealing with those bastards myself, thought they were gone but nope, in my big room they are back AGAIN! Ffs, what’s the silica foliar for in relation to thrips. I’m using beneficials which are keeping the larva etc. at bay at soil level , but the ones up on the leaves not so much, think I’m just gonna try and come up with the stuff for JPS 1 and done as I know it works! I hate those little pricks

2 Likes

My favorite beneficial bug for Thrips are the minute pirate bugs.

3 Likes

Toughens up cell walls, like armor

3 Likes

I thought maybe it had a special benefit I didn’t know about via thrips. I use silica regularly already, not sure if it helping at all with those little pricks though :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I spray AgSil16H which is potassium silicate, it doesn’t kill bugs but they hate it and it helps the plants toughen up their cell walls fast to resist the sap suckers. I believe stabilized mono-silicic acid is actually a pesticide but I don’t have any in house

Just like @breadwinner said

2 Likes

Got some updates due today, for my own bookkeeping here’s where things are at:

-Autoflower fem pots- 30 days from sprout (15g plastic, three plants in each of two pots)
-BLB/HashTash/G-Unit fems- 5 weeks from sprout (just repotted to 3g plastic)
-Sowah G F2 from @Boozer- F70ish? (5G plastic)
-Stardawg x JTR cut from @catapult at F12ish in 5g fabric pot, need to take cuts soon when I thin it
-Vortex seed moms x4 at Day F67, gotta check one of them for intersex today while removing fan leaves from all of them, I gave out clones to a handful of members here and @catapult stress tested them for me and reported instability in one of the moms. That’s why I tried to go big on the plants in case one ended up being unstable genetics :flushed::sob::cry:

Big Don “Warbird” clones:
2x in flower, one in 2G fabric one in 5g plastic F56?
1x mom just flipped to flower in 1g plastic needs repotting to 3g
1x clone coming along strong in 3x3 tall needs repot
2x moms chilling

Vortex F1 clones: they’re all good, got a bunch and should probably give away duplicates to locals here once I get my pest problem cleared up.

Cat Scratch Skunk #7 from Catapult is potted up to go to flower soon

Mothers Milk #31 cut finished reveg and is throwing normal healthy green leaves again instead of yellow mountain laurel single finger freaks, that’ll get used eventually but there’s a traffic jam first

And last but not least, 2x Bay Breeze #2 (Zkittles x Kush Cleaner) and 1x Black Cherry Soda BX2 plugs managed to survive with healthy white roots for a month, I guess I’m doing something right! Repotted those up and now I know they’re tough genetics I guess.

14 Likes

Glad you got some survivors there:)

I run clones in a dome on a bed of perlite and verm and can usually get a good couple months before they get too annoyed at me. Roots go down into the medium and might even come out intact (with certain and steady care), or they get abruptly pruned when it’s time for transplant

I think this is a tray from that same round of cuttings you got.

Here’s my secret weapon for watering clones.

I use this at first cause you can direct a very controlled spray (think sake from the hibachi place, lol) Once the clones got roots shooting out I use a cheap pump sprayer that saturates them quicker but w more over spray.

Black Cherry Soda bx2 about 35 days in

13 Likes

Dang, go science! Seeds have stomata just like leaves do!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0d-qd4rEgF/

17 Likes