Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Oh that’s interesting to know, so there’s a lot of anthocyanins going on in there…

Bernabeo is a bit of a mystery, it’s very old genetics from Italy but the terpene description of hot sweaty feet that I’ve seen makes me think it must be Afghani IDK

2 Likes

Hot sweaty musky feet is for sure a pretty apt description, it also has a bit of a “hempy” “herbal” smell to it to go along with the sweaty feet. It smokes fairly nice too.

I was just kind of peeking to see what’s there to run a bunch more of them, and definitely will in the future.

And FWIW my flowering room does get pretty cold during lights off (14c) but I would imagine it would express the colors at any temps.

Hopefully I can find a nice one to keep around for making CBG edibles.

EDIT: Excited to watch those Rhinestone Villain and Villain OG, that MV#5 makes some cool offspring.

3 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard I’m itching to buy that 3 pack from Hoku! I keep adding Lovebone, Witches Brew, and Circles F2 to the cart… and then backing out.
Soon.

3 Likes

You’re like me going for those Type II crosses, looking for him to say:

“elevated levels of THC”

“runs a little hot”

Gimme dat spicy hemp.

4 Likes

Yup yup. Also interested in resin production for minor cannabinoid hash!
And also the potential for 19% CBG from the Circles F2? That’s just wild.
I wonder if the ideal micron collection bag is different than for THC dom flower…:thinking:

3 Likes

I think it will be similar but a little different from a couple things I’ve seen:

These folks use 140 micron:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microgrowery/comments/k1liwk/cbg_trichomes_are_crazy_milky/

If you’re squishing rosin:

“ The melting point of cannabigerol and its thermal degradation were determined using differential scanning colorimetry and thermogravimetric analysis. It was noted that CBG melts at 52 °C (in comparison, the melting point of cannabidiol is 68 °C) [28]. It was also observed that thermal degradation of cannabigerol occurs at approximately 150 °C (CBD thermally degraded at 250 °C). For both CBG and CBD, these temperatures are close to their boiling points [28]. In contrast, other studies have shown that cannabigerol (like Δ9-THC) exhibits greater solubility in supercritical CO2 as the temperature increases (at a constant pressure), while cannabidiol shows the opposite trend [29].”

That’s from this awesome new CBG paper:

ijms-23-07929.pdf (1.8 MB)

Off to bed now, enjoy!

12 Likes

Yes Dirt!!! I can hear Dragonaut playing just from looking at the cover, love Sleep!

6 Likes

Whoa! I totally bookmarked this post.
Awesome info and links neither, and greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

My ex turned me onto them and other stoner doom metal like Bongripper, DOOM, Sunn O and others. I’m an oi/street punk/ hardcore sorta guy but I also like old metal and this stuff is really hits the same feels stuff for me as Lighting Bolt or grinding older Judas Priest. I liked Iced Earth a lot until I realized how bad their politics were and then their singer got arrested at the Capital on Jan 6 :sob:

7 Likes

Um what are these exactly :face_with_monocle:
Those in no way resemble any trichome I have ever seen :eyes:
Those look like spider eggs

5 Likes

Right? I guess the high CBG strains present with opaque white trichomes, I was trying to figure it out and my best theory is that if we assume (and I think that this is safe) that minor cannabinoids fill the same role in plant health as terpenes in that they fight off pest and disease pressures, and also the environmental pressures of high UV or very dry climates. That’s when the plant gets weird and evolves to survive, right? Cannabis fills niches in ecosystems like humans do, which is why we have been partnered with it for so long, just like dogs, just like rats. CBG does a lot of powerful weird things we’re learning and I think the white trichomes are an extreme UV response from whatever landrace population this came from that developed CBG in higher amounts as sunscreen.

“ Potential Benefits of Cannabis Trichomes to the Plant

The exact benefit of cannabinoids and terpenes for the plant has yet to be discovered but several findings point to defense-related functions. This is consistent with a common role of trichomes in many plant species (Levin, 1973). Early studies have also hypothesized that THC protects against ultraviolet (UV) radiation, as cannabis plants produce significantly elevated levels of THC when exposed to higher levels of UVB radiation, possibly resulting in the development of geographical chemotypes (Pate, 1983). A recent study found that CBD could be a potential sunscreen additive as its application to human keratinocyte and melanocyte cells led to improved cell viability after exposure to UVB radiation, suggesting that cannabinoids protect cells against this type of potentially DNA-damaging radiation and supporting the geographical chemotype hypothesis (Gohad et al., 2020). These findings indicate that cannabinoids may be secreted and concentrated around flowers to protect the reproductive organs – and thereby the next generation – from the effects of sun damage; genotypes that originate from closer to the equator will produce higher levels of cannabinoids due to the higher incidence of UVB radiation in that region.

Terpenes may act as deterrents against herbivory, as the monoterpenes α-pinene and limonene repel insects are present in higher concentrations in flowers while sesquiterpenes, which are bitter to mammals, have greater concentrations in the lower leaves (Potter, 2009; Nerio et al., 2010; Russo, 2011). This apparent range of terpene profiles, dependent on organ and position, is in line with probable causes of damage, as insects would be more likely to damage the flowers and herbivorous mammals are likely to focus on the larger fan leaves. In addition, cannabinoids and terpenes can complement each other to provide plants with a complex defense mechanism against insects. The ratio of monoterpenes to sesquiterpenes determines cannabis resin viscosity while CBGA and THCA are toxic to insects. Altering the ratio of terpene types to increase viscosity can trap insects while CBGA and THCA induce apoptosis as shown on cultured insect cell lines, thus protecting the plant and critical tissues like flowers as they develop (Sirikantaramas et al., 2005; Russo, 2011).”

“ Five key compounds [THC, CBD, cannabichromene (CBC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN)] and their acid precursor forms have significant antibacterial activity against several methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains through bacterial membrane targeting (van Klingeren and ten Ham, 1976; Appendino et al., 2008; Farha et al., 2020). This suggests that cannabinoids, including those that are typically secreted in low concentrations, have a broad range of benefits, acting both within and outside the plant, particularly with regards to cannabinoid production in flowers when compared to the rest of the plant (Farha et al., 2020). However, while there is an increasing understanding of the defensive properties of the major metabolic products produced by cannabis, the lesser-known compounds must also be given attention. As there have been over 200 identified cannabinoid and terpene compounds combined, the costs for producing this vast number of secondary metabolites must be investigated to elucidate their individual benefits and roles in plant function. Transcriptomic studies into these lesser-known compounds and their expression in response to common stressors could provide an important start into answering these questions.

Overall, the range of potential benefits of these secondary metabolites strongly suggests that they play a key role in the general health and survival of cannabis plants and their progeny through a combination of factors. To corroborate this, genomics, transcriptomics, and metabolomics studies must be conducted to confirm hypothesized characteristics associated with various trichome morphs, their development patterns across different tissues, and their non-uniform metabolite secretions. Evidence is required to prove that these compounds are not simply by-products of other biological processes but truly have a primary role in defense mechanisms. To be meaningful, these studies should not only include cannabis cultivars that are the result of centuries of breeding, but also naturally occurring types that are not products of human selection activity, though these are rarely available. One hundred ten whole genomes of cannabis cultivars, from wild plants and historical varieties to modern hybrids, with a focus on Asian sources to account for the likely domestication origin, were recently sequenced and analyzed to provide an invaluable genetic framework for the history of the plant; the resulting information can be applied to secondary metabolite investigations (Ren et al., 2021). With time, the validity of these hypotheses is sure to be determined thanks to this new genomic information, along with valuable insight into the impressive complexity seen within them.”

fpls-12-721986.pdf (585.6 KB)

That article is part of this really excellent review series that I recommend looking at (available as a single PDF or EPUB but it’s too big to post):

8 Likes

The few papers I had recently, and from the videos and such from that Dr.Bugsby guy, state that cannabinoid production is in no way affected by UV or light exposure. Might get more trichomes, but the overall content is the exact same as if there were less. No extra Terpenes nor THC were produced.

Indoor grown cannabis yield increased proportionally with light intensity, but ultraviolet radiation did not affect yield or cannabinoid content.pdf (1.9 MB)

2021 Bugbee Decreasing Blue Photons Increases Yield.pdf

Best bet is maybe they are produced as a deterrent to predators but I have a suspicion this entire plant was actually domesticated a long long time ago to produce these things regardless.

8 Likes

Are you serious? After all that talk about HPK and you’ve got a hybrid in the fridge? Haha…

I realize it probably wouldn’t be useful breeding material because of the SL mom, but still… Might be worth a look.

8 Likes

I had just received it like two weeks ago from a late trade, and it’s already on the way to DW now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Only snow lotus stuff I’m holding onto is the Blue Tara f2 and ix, this pack of goji og f2 from @ramblinrose, and a pack of Love Triangle(TK x Snow Lotus). Oh I and I might still have a pack of snow monkey(GG4 x SL) I haven’t given away yet :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

No, no! I meant it might be worth a look for YOU. I don’t want anymore seeds haha. I’ve got plenty of those Pura Vida f2’s left and some other Pure Kush/OG-type hybrids in the fridge. I was just thinking, you know, after all that shit with those HPK clones you got, it might be worthwhile to check out those Solo’s Stash seeds.

But I guess Dirt Wizard can let us know how they turn out instead… haha! Oughta be good if can you find some HPK leaners, @Dirt_Wizard.

6 Likes

Have you guys ever try using agave nectar, coconut water and or honey as a sugar source for compost teas? I’ve been using the first 2 to replace molasses and sporadically using honey. Been getting decent results lately. Gonna try date syrup at some point just for shits and giggles. Idk just throwing it out there I know there isn’t much of a difference and they’re just food for microbes but the coconut water (vita-coco) has some nutrients in it; Mag and K mostly, and been definitely noticing a difference. There is vitamin C in it too which, I didn’t know before, is actually really good for plants in moderate amounts.

7 Likes

Oh I thought you were giving me shit for having the pack after tossing the cut due to herms :joy: not that I thought you wanted it or I did lol it’s all good. DW should be able to pull out something amazing!

6 Likes

Same boat dude, grew up big into punk and hardcore, minor threat, black flag, etc. etc. found the stoner doom stuff later on when I lost the energy to run around :joy::joy:

9 Likes

The Youth of Today to Shelter pipeline

4 Likes

I like molasses in compost teas because it’s high in Mg and Ca. While whatever sugar source we use for the teas might be “just food for microbes,” that doesn’t mean it doesn’t eventually become plant-available, for lack of a better term. It’s all gonna break down and be used by the soil/plants at some point.

At least, as far as I understand it haha.

Check out Electric Wizard if you haven’t already. I fucking LOVE their album Dopethrone.

9 Likes