CBG breeding and varieties

This also talks about a little about this subject in the discussion:

Development and validation of genetic markers for sex and cannabinoid chemotype in Cannabis sativa L. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcbb.12667

To follow up: i’ve grown out some of the Canaparoma CBG. It had 50% germ, and of the 5 plants I grew, one was CBD dominant. The others were all CBG dom. All had a similar habit; that of fiber hemp. Very airy, low quality flower.

Kwik Seed Company also now has CBG. I have not grown this one yet.

2 Likes

Just started a couple of the Kwikseeds CBG femmes. Regs were out of stock. Hadn’t even considered that the progeny could be all over the map as far as cannabinoid content. Hell of an oversight on my part.

Getting it cannabinoid tested is fifty bucks out here, plus a few hour drive and a gram or so per test. Looks like TLC plates might be the way to go, to verify CBG before bringing it to a lab.

3 Likes

Yea. I would guess the main reason you would get a non-CBG dominant plant would be pollen contamination during seed production. I am curious about the kwik seeds. I have a pack but am doing other things atm.

1 Like

Does anyone who has grown the CBG strains have any suggestions on harvesting? Do the trichomes swell with resin like traditional cannabis? I can’t nail down any information at all on this topic. I am sure each strain is different, but its so confusing. Actually, not all that confusing since there is basically no cultivation related content to be found, from what I have seen so far.

Also wondering about organic feed. Do they like to eat? Are they like autos in veg that like very little fertilizer? Again, sure it is strain dependent. I recently bought a 6 pack of fem Desert Snow CBG from CBD Hemp Direct and they won’t get back to me with information. I am sure this is because it is the same strain they grow for retail and also legal issues about cultivation suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone!

3 Likes

Cool. I had never heard of them. I am curious to hear how they turn out. CBG trichomes are white and opaque. I have cut the CBGs very early when I have grown them, but they never turned amber. CBG resin is ‘dryer,’ and less greasy than a normal variety (which also varies, but compared to any average THC flower). I assume most varieties that are >15% CBG that have been released right now are probably Oregon CBD knockoffs (I have heard more than one story of CBG seed segregating for autoflowering, which is a telltale sign).

6 Likes

I can’t thank you enough for this information! You just cleared up so many questions I had. Any nute issues? I honestly wish OG still had the karma system. You would be getting some right now!

1 Like

I emailed Oregon to see if they had some basic info on their CBG strains for nutrient needs etc. Hopefully they have a PDF or other format for their farmers. Again, I can’t thank you enough!

1 Like

check out Hoku seed co they have cbg and cbd.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff. I hadn’t heard of them, but they are were following me on instagram when I went to check them out. It looks like they are doing a lot of stuff with some Italian hemp CBG and CBD cultivars.

Oregon got back to be today! I was impressed, they must know I am not a customer. Here is what they had to say:

“CBG trichomes are finer, more pointed, and less resinous. All of our CBG varieties have similar finishing times as our CBD varieties. When planted in early June they finish in mid to late September. Indoor production would be about 8 to 9 weeks in flower till maturity.”

From this, I am guessing they must be on the Indica spectrum?

If I ever become a farmer, I will be going with these guys. Class act. They did have a link to nutrient suggestions, but it doesn’t’ really work. I am guessing there is a problem with the site.

Also, the seeds came today and I have one in water. We shall see!

4 Likes

CBD Hemp Direct got back to be today. Here is what they said. I have never seen this nutrient line before. I will have to investigate.

“Last summer in OR and NV we flowered outdoor in 7 weeks. Some of the field we fed advanced biologics root innoculator and floraflex v1 v2 b1 b2 throughout the season. We are doing a lot more greenhouse CBG this year.”

My seed is in the peat pot.

1 Like

Dutch Passion now have two varieties (as well as a THC-V variety I wasn’t aware of)
CBG-force and auto CBG-force for 15-35 euro/seed claiming ~15%CBG and 1:100 THC:CBG ratios

Hemp Direct is selling something called Desert Snow claiming up to 20% and less than 0.3 (I suspect this is from Oregon CBDs work).

Hoku hemp has a variety of CBG strains, apparently built off European varieties (Italian and swiss).

I have grown the Kwick seed CBG. It was much more resinous than the CannapAroma, but fairly airy, with tall fiber structure. Much more promising, though still only advertised as an 8% CBG plant.

Lastly, this is something that has sort of thrown me through a loop on the CBG breeding theory and I would love if someone could explain it to me: the Whistler Farm’s Shiatzu Kush clone that is about 1:1 or 2:1, THC:CBG. I would have thought this ratio shouldn’t really exist. So clearly other things that I don’t understand yet are happening here.

5 Likes

To update:

CannaBiogen is advertising an auto CBG plant.

1 Like

I just put 2 grapey walter auto cbg and 2 fantasmo auto cbg into peat pods to start. Im very excited for them.

2 Likes

I don’t know of these. Who are they from?

I believe both are mephisto. I got lucky and got some from Sebring, I believe he’s out now though.

https://diygreenlife.com/seed-shop/

I have never heard of Sunnyland Seed and there is not a lot of info. Are these an F1 cross of Hoku CBG auto x Mephisto autos, so probably just THC-dom? Or are they taken to the F3+ and fixed for CBG dominance?

No idea. I’ll tell you in a few months when I make edibles from them

1 Like

I second Hoku Seed Company for CBG and mixed ratio crosses that are Open Source. Great company.
I appreciate you putting all of this info together @anon4675195
I’m working on mixing all three CBG CBD and THC together. My personal favorite flower combination.
Recessive and double recessive traits seem to be involved with CBG inheritance, similar to Auto traits using Mandelian models. In my understanding at least.

4 Likes