Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

I smoked some of this ISO shatter from cleaning my grinders and it’s no bueno- got a plastic/vinyl taste to it besides the fresh hot terps I was hoping for. Don’t know if it was the ziploc I washed them in (probably, I heat up the bag with the ISO and grinders in hot water) but I think I got some plasticizers into it. I can taste chemicals at pretty low levels and this was not so bad that I didn’t smoke half the bowl but I didn’t finish it. I’ll use the rest of this for topicals or toss it and make sure to only wash in glass from now on, and maybe without salt. I don’t think it was my plastic grinder because that’s Tritan, which is as inert of a lab grade plastic as it gets, alcohol shouldn’t touch it.

11 Likes

One tip that makes sense to me and that I’ll be doing (thanks @Tonygreen and whoever else does this) is to keep the seeds in the buds for a full month or two of dry and cure before I shuck them. My plan is to hang and dry the whole plants like usual for three weeks, at 50% RH the first 24 hours then up to 64% and work it down to 60% a percent at a time on the Inkbird every five days or so. Then the whole plants go into a big sanitized storage container with latches and a little thermo/hygrometer taped to the side where I can read it. I open those once or twice a day and flap the lid at the plants 5-10 times then close back up. After three weeks of that I’m going to take the seed branches, put them in another bin with a mini dehumidifier, and dry them down to 50% for a few days then crush the weed, shuck the seeds, and make some mixed dry sift. Hoping for around a hundred or so seeds of each chuck but we’ll see, I know that’s always unpredictable.

12 Likes

Hi @Roms hope you are well, I was just reading back in my grow log to find some information and I realized that I posted a link (probably quite a few actually) to your discussion of some strains on ICMag. Now that you are here on OG, can I ask you to talk a little about the Erdbeer or Erdpurt and other Alpine strains that you know about? I have always been very interested in these for their hardiness and adaptability to a cold wet northern climate like mine, as well as the beauty of many Alpine BLD or hemp genetics. They live on it seems, since they are good options for outdoor above 42N, especially in coastal or northern rainforest climates where moisture is always a problem.

10 Likes

How were the nl1 x acc nl1? Got a few freebie packs of them, sound pretty cool though didnt find much info on the acc nl.

5 Likes

Pissy piney lemon sounds great to me, I just had an OG Mix from Fleur Du Mal that cured up into a sort of ammonia Sprite flavor with some stinky basement funk in it, great flavor and effects. B told me that it was likely, based on when I bought my mix pack, True OG x Janis, which is the NCGA Blue Widow x Sensi Silver Pearl.

5 Likes

The AKBB NL#1 x ACC NL#1 seemed to be overall smaller in height, later flowering, with more sweet berry terps, and some more variation in bud structure. High narcotic stone with amazing terps!

This is in comparison to the pure AKBB NL#1 offering

7 Likes

Awesome, Interesting to have more berry in it. Appreciate the info!

5 Likes

No problem…curious to see what you find in your pack!

4 Likes

Hi @Dirt_Wizard ya good to see your boxes and mastering, healthy happy clean bravo bro! :green_heart:

About the Swiss Erdbeer indeed I have been interested for a long time given my IBL work of strawberries from pure Mazar I Shariff but I only done research, never really grown it.
At the time i was starting to learn and explore cannabis and I’ve quickly understood that Hindu Kush heirloom is like building block of quasi all modern strains derived from Northern Light, Bubble Gum, Skunk etc. Mostly from Afghani so!

Then you know that before the hippie move to India and Pakistan there had been cultural precursor in the 30s like Ella Maillard, Swiss adventure. So possible that some seeds import from her and friends and then gradually acclimated and reproduced, just my thoughts and hypothesis ^^

Anyway Alpine Seeds is one of the best in Europe, big up and respect! Their Erdbeerli cross with Steve’s cut SPG sounds great for example, btw i think the Sweet Pink Grapefruit is also pure and Afghani, i’ve grown and smoked this cut for few years and i really felt family vibes with my Mazari. Peace

10 Likes

Here’s Esbe’s Hybrids From Hells vibes :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you @roms for this response and hypothesis, I love it! I am a big proponent of historical theories of import and origin that go farther back than the normal tales of the Hippie Trail, and also have a great interest in solo female adventurers like Freya Stark and Dervla Murphy, but Ella is a new one to me! It makes me want to think that it was her or a friend of hers that Breeder Steve met in that alpine village around Ticino where he got the Purpurea Ticinicis, she lived in that area in a village of that description in the eighties and nineties so it’s possible!

Edit: I got the story wrong, Steve got the PT from Felix of Owls Production, who is the one who met the ladies in the village.

8 Likes

Day 16 of flower, still LDSC Tall in the back left and Icy Grape back right, with Blue Tara front left, but the LDSC Short is in the center now, since Sowah G stretched up nicely enough to hang with her sisters outside the 1200 umol zone on the front right. Everyone is looking a little dazed and floppy since I turned them and their phototropism is off; also bent over some tops ninety degrees to try and let other branches make it up to an even canopy.

Day 6 of seedling/veg, everyone’s happy and healthy now, got the lights going up a tick every day or two now towards the full 130w in a week or two, after I lift the light a bit from the current 12” above. I’m bottom watering these this time around in the plastic pots, with daily spraying down to keep the tops moist, I want to see if it speeds up rooting like people say so I’m doing a good bottom soak when they get light until they go into the 2G fabric transplanters, which I might bottom water in saucers as well, we will see:

And some lovely mail today from @BasementBeans

22 Likes

Flower room looks great!! Enjoy the beans dude, I’ll be keeping an eye on the thread :grin::v:

8 Likes

Thanks man! I’m gonna split these up between my Dad and a few friends and I think they’re going to really enjoy them.

5 Likes

Looking at the schedule ahead, I have some planning to do for the spring and some delegating of garden tasks to other folks I’ll be growing with this year. First up is my current flower tent at Day 17 of a projected 77 for the Sowah G and LDSCs, probably a week less for the Icy Grape and Blue Tara. So that puts at least four of my seedlings on veg mode until April 21, 61 days from now. I’m going to get my 2x4 setup this week and swap the B-spec in there as soon as I get my QB96 setup framed and hung in the 3x4. Then I’ll let the six female seedlings ride out veg in the 3x4 while Vortex gets sprouting in the 2x4. That’s what makes sense to me now, I will see if it stays that way.

In seed news, I finally got (almost) everything packed up for the first Dirt Wizard Magic Beans Giveaway, going to try and have the first postcards hit the mail tomorrow:

22 Likes

Before anyone gets too thirsty I’ll say that I have reserved for @santero one of each Hoku pack, the Icy Grape, and Blue Tara, since he’s looking for indica medicinals. The rest? Who knows, it could be you! Also there will almost certainly be some extras getting packed up, my fridge runneth over with seeds thanks to Overgrow.

In grow updates, Day 17 of flower and Day 7 of seedling/vegetative growth:

And this is someone’s cute little camper van I walked by, and a tree:

19 Likes

Interesting bit of information in the descriptions for Hoku’s new CBDV drop that just hit:

“Our CBG auto comes out of the original La Crema CBG seeds we purchased back in 2019. We didn’t realize it at the time, but eventually we learned that they were F2’s of OregonCBD’s White CBG. This resulted in several different flowering times; from auto-flowering, early flowering, and full photo-dependent. We also found several males in the La Crema seeds, which were later used to create our CBG autos as well as our Circles CBG line. The Circles CBG is currently available as F2’s whereas the CBG Auto line was never released, but given out as freebies.“

Fuck yeah the White CBG, The White is such a mysterious and dank strain:

13 Likes

I can’t wait for the Vortex show. Both Apollo 13 and Space Queen are strains I’ve grown in the past and they were both top knotch. Apollo 13 and Apollo 11 are def both in my top 5 favorites list. Can’t wait to see some bud blasts.

Edit- I figured I’d add this… as many people don’t know the story… but Vortex actually won the 2010 High Times Medical Cannabis Cup, 1st Place in the Sativa category… entered by “Patrick of Grean Bicycles” as what he called… “God’s Pussy”… it was actually Vortex grown in Supersoil. Subcool posted a thread about it once on RIU.

8 Likes

I am excited too! If I wasn’t doing an all fem run this time for efficiency in flower production I was maybe going to run some of the Groundbreaking F2s I have of Vortex or the Vortex x Chernobyl freebie I got with it, but that’s going to have to wait. I don’t have much Space Queen experience but I’m pretty deep into Cindy and Apollo crosses, they’ve been consistently fire for me so far! Got a bunch still waiting to pop, once the Vortex is in the works I can start thinking about what comes next.

7 Likes

Oh fuck yeah thank you dude! I hadn’t seen this yet, gonna read it on the bus in the morning:

5 Likes