Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Research dump :poop::

True pot sizes for Elite and Pro-Cal brand nursery pots:

Dramm white paper on biofilms (scary shit, well-written):

Biofilm in the GreenhouseSM.pdf (434.8 KB)

Soil CEC fact sheet from Cornell Agricultural Extension:

factsheet22.pdf (28.5 KB)

Very cool and comprehensive book from Australia by Pam Hazelton about interpreting soil test results, written for both land users and professional testers/agronomists, there’s a lot of interesting publications from CSIRO that I want to dig into soon:

Interpreting Soil Test Results, What Do All The Numbers Mean {Pam Hazelton} [9780643092259] (CSIRO Publishing - 2007)_1.pdf (2.5 MB)

A mineral analysis of Montmorillonite clay, which is an interesting clay colloid I’ve been learning about and need to get some of, my soil is lacking in clay content:

Montmorillonite-Mineral-Analysis.pdf (196.9 KB)

USGS report “Minerals of the Montmorillonite Group”

USGS- Minerals of the Montmorillonite Group.pdf (3.9 MB)

Some soil CEC charts:

IMG_2365

Variation in liming effect (Calcium Carbonate Equivalence) and P-K of different wood ashes used by Maine farmers:

9 Likes

Been a hot minute since I posted here, lots of spring projects around the house, painters just showed up this morning to start taping off the house for our full strip and lead remediation primer encapsulation, then the nice paint job. Gonna be a beast of a month with this but we got the best guy around and I can tell his crew is good. This was definitely a case of buy once, cry once.

Anyways, also been reorganizing the Magic Wand Factory, got some plants ready to flip to flower in a few days, and I’ve been working on my seed starting with practice and some different, simpler techniques with direct sowing into my soil cut 1:1 with perlite. I have been needing more LITFA in my sprouting to stop killing seeds and my numbers keep improving, so that’s good. I also realized that I’ve basically been running semi-continuously so I might as well just start popping seeds every week or two especially with the third tent now giving me 2x4, 3x4, and 4x4 options. I have a few more days of cleaning and setup to do before the big reveal but my space got a lot nicer and more organized to help my brain do stuff.

Veg tent was pretty chaotic before I got half of the big girls out to the 4x4 to root out and adjust spectrum before flip. Now it’s just the three Hoku- Villain OG in the back left (by far the smallest, weakest plant, not very impressive so far but steady), OC V2 front left (beast beast beast plant, obviously hemp, have to fight the damn thing back constantly- I love her), and Rhinestone Villain front right being the best structured and behaved overall- she drinks almost as much as the larger OC plant, isn’t finicky, seems to have good stems. Scattered around on the floor are three Malana Himchal Pradesh in the large squares and a TGTB Big Don in the fourth one. Two FDM Ortega Mix in the tall 3” squares. The 3” short squares are pairs of Bad Dawg Gorilla Bubble x Cake Fighter, Ortega Mix, @LouDog420 / @Tonygreen Bubblehead #9 x Violeta, some Triple Spice from @Foreigner and a single pretty pale but sprouting bag seed from some Ethos Kitchen Sink I got at a local dispensary a few years ago and found while repacking seeds into cryotubes lately.

In the big tent are my three Type 1 ladies this round, in 15 and 25 gallon fabric tree pots from 247Garden, which have really changed my growing. On the left is a TGTB G-Unit fem, which is bred with the dometop GB BX5 male for that extra chonk. She’s gonna need topdressing immediately with how much she took off vs the other two after getting out of a 2G fabric pot, since she landed in a smaller pot with a slightly richer mix but look at her go she’s getting half the tent for sure! On the right in the back is a Useful Seeds (RIP) Chem D x Bag of Oranges from the Secret Santa this year- thanks mystery gifter, she’s looking amazing. Front right is Blueberry (Archive cut) x T-1000 from CSI, made and gifted to me by @iamyou_youareme . She’s a weird lady! Shaping up to be just as much of a mutant freak as the Blue Tara I just finished, which is exactly what I want in a Blueberry plant, nice work!

27 Likes

Looking good!

Wish I could find buy-once, cry-once contactors here. We have lots of the mediocre ones it seems, buying AND crying multiple times :rofl:

Thanks for all that research and digging you did, helped me a TON. When I was first reading that post I had to check which thread I was looking at. Appreciate your time sharing and researching!

Cheers man!

4 Likes

She’s getting her freak on! Haha, I just commented in my log about that plant, but I mis-read and thought the plant on the left was the BBxT-1000… the plant on the right is looking cool! It actually doesn’t look much like the BB leaf structure, maybe more of the T-1000 is coming through on this one? I wouldn’t expect a lot of stretch from her, the way’s she’s looking now. You getting any discernible smells from the stem rub on that one?

7 Likes

@iamyou_youareme Just stink skunk gassy pretty standard good weed smells so far, maybe a little blueberry smell in there. I did just defoliate the top layer last night and bend it all over out to try and get some spread on before stretch. It looks a lot like the Blackwater x Apollo I grew that was very Mendo Purps structured.

6 Likes

Damn o had some catching up to do here. I know I’m a little late but congrats on your harvest Dirt! I can relate with the springtime project list, it’s kept me away from keeping up with my OG reading. Hope it all irons out nice and flat for you soon buddy :heart::v:t2:

6 Likes

Cross-linking some emerging biofungicide/IPM research about botrytis cinerea and cannabis:

8 Likes

Due for some updates here on my garden but for now check out these baddies that just came in the mail, the only thing I bought for 420 other than some seeds from @vernal because, well, it’s a Jackson a pack, son. This Loran’s Kush Cleaner work from 707 has been on my radar, these two in particular that seemed to go fast, I might get more in the future especially that Blue Dream x KC. Snowhighs older seeds are on sale over there, they are close with him and have a lot of his stock old and new available. The freebies on top are pretty sweet too, nice seed bank!

22 Likes

Looks like a good haul :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Got the G-Unit fem on the left going hard, Blueberry x T-1000 on the front right, Chem D x BOO back right:

Malanas are lovely, totally stress free plants:

Ortega Mixes (two plantings):

Rhinestone Villain front and Villain OG in the back:

Big Don:

Got a cheap drying tent and a buttload of perlite @ $25/bag shipped (I LOVE STACKING CODES):

And check out this sweet pickle truck:

24 Likes

That G-Unit is overgrowing your tent!

Which Ortega mix is that? The initial freebie release that’s a mix of Ortega and Ortega x African Sherbert or the breeder mix with the Afghan and NL crosses? Super curious about the banana flavor baudelaire mentions especially in the Ortega x African Sherbert, if I recall correctly.

You are about the best online shopper I’ve ever seen with a magical capability of finding things and discounts!

Have a great day, they are looking good!

6 Likes

This is the first freebie release that I got direct from Baudelaire, it’s the Banana Sherbet crosses!

7 Likes

Very curious how that turns out, I’ve got a pack of those.

3 Likes

That @vernal pack just hit and son, that’s what a hundo should look like:

A note on the Xmas bud:

15 Likes

The Garland is fantastic herb! I grew out his Garland ‘A’ cut that was used in the Garland F2 V1, and the Appalachian Super Skunk mama that was used in the Frogspawn, last year and enjoyed both of them very much. @Weedison ran the Garland ‘X’ cut that was used in the Garland F2 V2’s. I wonder what used for the V3 there :thinking: i didn’t get nor see any of those but I have everything else. Need to get to those at some point here. All definitely worth running!

12 Likes

Hmmm…I have a bunch of random Garland crosses from him…

3 Likes

v3 was an accidental (technically “unavoidable”) pollination of another Garland female I had around flowering during the actual pollination. However, it was a lovely plant so I sorta kept them anyway for freebies. Giant OG kush golfball nugs, globular and very little leaf. Pungent sweet fruity-acetone kush scent. v4 was the other happy accident plant that was more very light green spear colas with a strong baby poop kush smell.

@Dirt_Wizard hey pal glad they made it. God bless you, US postal service. Don’t overlook those Tobago peppers!

11 Likes

sounds like a tk leaner :drooling_face:

8 Likes

Nice sale on at Kropduster, $17.50/pack for 5 fems or 10 regulars plus freebies, flash sale code FLASH50:

Lemme just get an email saying I got this job in time and I might have to get dumb with it for some Heime Cheeba RKS:

9 Likes

Lol you guys, I took all the seeds out and counted, since you never know what’s in the opaque packs the first time you order from someone, lemme tell you the good news, my brothers, sisters, and others:

IMG_2830

That is about 60 each of Pale Flesh and Wolfsbane, 40 Frogspawn, and just over two dozen Garland F2 V3!

All for a Franklin and a Hamilton for the (quick, padded, tracked) journey to me. The brain math says that’s a smidge more than sixty cents a bean.

20 Likes