Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Oh cool those are cheap, they don’t say on their page that they break down but the BAS folks would know about that.

https://floraflex.com/default/flora-flex-florafoam-incubator-plugs?gclid=CjwKCAjwvpCkBhB4EiwAujULMo_65hgD026dn0R_rC1t1hOoMtKKXnsx7Q5EOp6aPXJnRYLN8_BvWhoCMcoQAvD_BwE

I did find these compostable ones from a big gardening place that look good, maybe I’ll try them after I use this bag of Root Riots up, they’re about the same price, 55x for $22 for the bag of refill plugs, and their whole little kit actually looks pretty nice, it’s a floating styrofoam plug tray that rides on a water reservoir underneath in the tray, smart!

6 Likes

Job training rocks!

18 Likes

Definitely need the adjustable wrench and pliers for that one :yum:

5 Likes

That was to take apart the bathroom sink with…

5 Likes

Well, hopefully not an every night sort of occurrence.

At least “take apart the bathroom sink” implies the former rather than the latter…I hope anyway

5 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard maaannnn…… reading those two post instantly came through may head of like damn, then puttin the two together and hoping it’s only vomit. The latter would need some explaining behind it.

3 Likes

The Vortex run will be cool to watch, I have a strong feeling the F2’s you make will be better vs Groundbreaking Seed Group and the Vortex F2’s they made, I haven’t seen any documentation at all as to what traits they kept in mind while selecting moms and dads, except the rather brief description that is on genetic supply’s website.

Which leads me to believe they may have culled some good recessive phenotypes out of the gene pool, just because they were a little viney and not as robust.

I remember several times hearing Subcool say on the Weednerd show on YouTube and also in his threads on RIU discussing that recessive genetics are often very potent, and certainly could pass those traits along to the offspring.

All in all when it comes to preserving strains, I’ve always been in the school of thought that nothing should be culled, as that could be limiting and definitely could bottle neck the genetics, which would potentially reduce the different phenotypes that may pop up, some of which could be desirable.

That’s why in my opinion, there is such a big difference between doing a preservation run OP style vs breeding by selecting parent plants for specific traits, which takes a very good nose, eye, and experience as well.

Happy Growing, and Peace! :peace_symbol:

10 Likes

Yea I’m kinda on the fence with those myself, I’m definitely looking forward to @Dirt_Wizard project! :pray:

4 Likes

Day 29F:

G-Unit

Chem D x BOO

BB x T-1000

17 Likes

Looking fantastic! Liking the BB x T1000 leaves.

G-Unit gaining some weight fast.

5 Likes

@FieldEffect It’s going fast and I know it’s the genetics but I wish I had two so I could know what the effects of the Osmocote are, I think that’s part of why she’s so steady and big. If she smokes well I may be using Osmo combined with organics in the future often

5 Likes

I’m intrigued to hear how it finishes up!

I expect it’ll be great. Sure is popular with other types of flower farmers. The rose club around here resells small bags of various NPK ratios.

Then again, I’m probably set on raw organic inputs for a few seasons by now. But that’s never stopped me from changing anything :rofl:

5 Likes

Just headed out of town until Sunday night, I won’t see the flowering girls until Monday. Did a bunch of repotting today, and put Big Don into the flower tent after a heavy pruning, topping, and topdressing. She’s a viney lady for sure, the sprout self-topped early and it has two main stems from about 2” up, then lots of long looping things that were trying to come up but too floppy. I cut everything back to the top 4-5 nodes and topped them, hopefully I get decent structure off the main stems which are plenty thick and stiff:

Veg tent is much cleared out, the last Malana got a brutal branch snapping and topping to get her down wider, she wants to be a column so bad despite having already been topped twice. The two smaller Ortega mix got potted up, hoping they’ll catch up to the bigger one with a little pot restriction on the latter. All four Coop DPDP are doing great, I potted two sprouts from the newest batch, one each Frogspawn and Sowah G F21. The remaining three Copa Zip Tape and an FDM Janis all went into 3” tall squares to root out while I’m gone, hopefully I’ll come back to ten more healthy sprouts, and maybe some plugs that came up in my absence. No germ on the @BasementBeans CDLC S1 tho, I’ve had a hard time getting these auto beans to sprout, any tips?

5 Likes

Also, my HLG 550 is failing, the driver is only pushing 2-300 watts at max instead of 485+

I didn’t have time to get into it but I want to disconnect the potentiometer because I’ve read those go bad like that vs drivers usually just crap out? Has anyone else experienced this with an HLG after less than a dozen grows?

Tagging folks who would know like @ReikoX @Mr.Sparkle @Shadey @Gpaw

5 Likes

I had my rapid LED COB lights potentiometer (or maybe the dimming part of the driver) go bad and felt like the light power quadrupled after disconnecting the dimmer. There was a noticeable gain on the quantum meter but I don’t remember off the top of my head what it was

3 Likes

@syzygy YES that’s what I was hoping to hear. I’ll get back to them on the morning of F30, so that should be plenty of time for them to bulk up under full power. I’ve been running the light so low, about 8-12” instead of the 18” I usually do for max spread, and just rotating the plants through the smaller hot spot every day. They’re looking actually very nice and I think this might be a lesson to hold off on the power until later than I usually do :pensive::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

This is an external pot on a box next to the driver, it’s an Inventronics but basically identical to a Meanwell HLG. I should be able to disconnect it for the rest of the grow and order in a replacement for next round, whew!

2 Likes

Bummer! I grew a few of those out recently and went 5/6 on germination, just seed straight to soil. Those seeds wound up on the small side of things, I was a little worried about germ when I made them but they seemed to test OK. Let me know if you want some replacements :v:

2 Likes

I still have plenty to try! They were very small, I think I’ll try Root Riots this time around and not crack them, will keep you updated!

1 Like

Here’s a guide to all the little things in veg right now:

The dome on the floor is Inkbird controlled to 80-85F and sealed up, it’s got two @Boozer Sowah G F2 and five @vernal Frogspawn seeds still coming up and a first attempt at lazy cloning with a top from Big Don in a Root Riot with some Techniflora IBA cloning gel.

Overgrow Co-Op Dutch Passion Durban Poison from @Guitarzan

7 Likes