DIY Wine Fridge Dryer share your version

Well i dont run default though

Even better maybe we can get someone else who does more testing for fun !!!

1 Like

I have had the dryer running for 7 days now. Here is the graph for that time period. We will continue droping .5 RH every day this next week. The graphs are for the same time. One is RH and temp the other is VPD. The machine runs on RH but it does have a VPD Reading on it as well so I figured I’d share that as well. The graphs are the exact same time period.

2 Likes

I don’t have a wine fridge yet so I’m using a old frost free fridge. It’s been about seven days now, the humidity started around 72% and bounced around for about three days then the average humidity started to become more stable and trend down. I was thinking of taking it to about a average stable 50% RH so that when it’s taken out and brought up to room temp hopefully it will fall between 58-62%. The bud is in a cardboard box just drying out. What do you think of these stats taken today?

The one above was afternoon. This one is at midnight.

2 Likes

Hey Bud looks like it’s doing what it’s supposed to. The one thing I would watch is how fast it reaches 62 percent RH. Not the ambient RH but the moisture in the bud. I think it would be a good idea to monitor the moisture remaining in the bud with a moisture meter to be accurate. I got mine from Home Depot but Amazon and lots of retailers sell them not to expensive 30 bucks or less. We like to see 12 to 13% when testing buds. Put both probes entirely inside of the bud to get proper results on the test. This will just help you not to over dry. If you dry too much, it will basically stop all curing at that point because the moisture has been removed already so no curing is possible after that point. Looks like you’re doing a great job. This would just be to ensure your drying is controlled and not over drying.

1 Like

This is the inexpensive wood moisture meter that I use to check moisture in the buds. 12 percent is ideal for bagging up. 13 percent on this test still has moisture left in it and curing is still possible. When you get down to 10% or less there’s no moisture left for curing. Just wanted to share the meter since I mentioned it so those who want could follow along.

5 Likes

Cool, I’m looking at them now. Wonder if the pinless ones work as good?

Go for the ones with the pins… you need to put the pins inside the bud for accurate readings. Cheers

Thanks, that was another question. I see some checking the stems and others the buds with the meter.

2 Likes

Check the buds not the stems.

Curious if any of you use a dry herb vap over traditional smoking and if so what you like to have your final humidity to?

I generally use 62% boveda packs but have been thinking of trying 58%. Some say the drier 58% vaps too quickly.

I like 62 aswell but I don’t dry vape.

1 Like

I find that 62% usually works fine but sometimes I run into a strain that needs a little lower. 58% seems slightly too dry but
I can get there by ‘airing’ the jar. :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Update on Dryer- The weather has been baking outside here the last 2 plus weeks. Unfortunately 2 major wild fires are ripping through the mountains on either side of us very sad they were finally recovering from previous fires this will be a huge loss locally. We are all safe but have friends much closer to the evacuation orders be safe everyone… We are praying they get a hold of these fires soon. Back to the dryer… The record breaking heat 100 plus and the humidity has been in the teens so ambient RH outside the dryer had a minor effect slightly speeding up the dry. Even in my house RH was low 25 to 30 percent so 15 days total in the dryer then I went to groove bags back into the second unmodified wine fridge for long cure. The buds were sweated overnight in turkey bags outside fridge before going into grove bags and into storage fridge. The moisture meter was on average 12 to 13 percent before going to groove bags. Here is the graph for the dryer run on this pull.

1 Like

Well… it’s not about wine, but I got a question for you @BTYGMO . What is it about GMO that checks the boxes for you? I’ve never run any or any crosses with it that I’m aware of.I ask as I have a couple packs of Genus GMO crosses. Romulan/Korean Skunk or Killer Chem. Leaning towards Killer Chem as I’m running it crossed to BCG13 now. No real info on either.
Didn’t mean to hijack your wine thread. I don’t drink. I did print wine labels for about 30 years. Everything from Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck to labels for wine from Moldova. Friggin’ Russian mobsters paid our Xmas bonuses that year. Thugs right out of a bad episode of Law and Order. Hadn’t thought about them lately!

1 Like

@crownpoodle When GMO is done well the flavor profile can be very different than what everyone else is going for. I often find I’m the only one with a GMO and people love something different in flavor profile. Certain crosses ect have great long lasting effects and less of a couch lock even when taken very late flower. The cut I got from Burning Bush before he shut down recently (still wondering why?) was HT cup winner a few years ago. It can easily test into the 30’s on THC and also has non candy terps. I like variety so I keep it in the mix but it’s a keeper!!! But to be honest I should update that profile as I’m into lots of strong flavors not just GMO lol… But I like to mix the candy and savory flavors lol

1 Like

Any other loud savoury recommendations ? Incense / exotic wood shavings types

2 Likes

It’s like dinner and later on you’re looking for dessert lol. The flavor profiles are there as stated lol… Some people wouldn’t like that sort of flavor. Some people will be surprised they do lol… There’s a lot of crosses with the GMO background I haven’t dived into because Donnie hit all the boxes for me. So I just been hunting for Strong flavor profiles from OG and lately blue berry ect. But I always run Donny. @crownpoodle

1 Like

What’s up Buddy!!! I did not like any of the incense flavors that I had tried but that would have been dispo nugs to be fair I have not ran them. I find the stronger savory flavors tend to have GMO in there line. There is a bunch floating around but Donny has held a seat in my garden for a few years now. The cut I have was clone. I take no credit lol I just got the clone. Im sure there is seeds available somewhere but I have not looked. I would imagine anything with GMO in its background with a good reputation, should give you some different terps. I’m waiting for Jaws to come out with those cheese flavors lol… I have High Hopes there will be some good flavors there !!!

2 Likes