Do you smoke Thai?

Oooooh! I love surprises! No Colombian gold, sorry. My Western Hemisphere seed stash is miserably small. Plenty of sativas, but most are from India, and unworked. I promised my pack of vintage Mexican seeds to Guitarzan for a Mexican landrace thread due to happen around Christmas time. I know you know this already, but for anyone else Reading Please join in the fun. We are on the landrace thread currently talking about it. That vintage Mexican is a mix of Central and South American genetics that are very old. Open pollination. So no pure anything, but everything should be excellent. He will be making some seeds, and something should come out very Colombian gold dominant I would think… but that’s a long time from now.

I’ll make sure to have my eyes peeled for that one for you.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m hoping to join in the Christmas cheer. Just scored some beautiful Hawaiian seeds from a new member. Maui Wowie and Kona Gold. Watching GLG for the Mexicans to drop again. CG is a foundation strain for so much of what I want to work with i need to get it in my stable. Trying to run some AG now but two out of three that came up are runts because of bad starter mix, lost 16 killer seeds. Ohhh well, dropped another 20 various last night.

2 Likes

I agree. It just wouldn’t be cost effective to use opium or oil in any weed. Opium is basically unrefined heroin, so you would know it if you were smoking opium. Thai stick was just the opposite, all high.

Plus the bud would crumble to put in a joint just fine, no oil in it. It was just that it tasted so unique and so strong that everybody tried to glamorize it. The only thing that makes sense after all of the these years and what I know about pot is a fermentation/cob type of curing period. We would get them in wax paper bricks of 1/2 pound I think.

Hey, on the mexi seed run, I popped 10 of those old seeds and nothing popped. I had cracked them with my teeth but nothing. So, I decided to look inside one, and sure enough there was a healthy lookin germ inside. Unfortunately, I broke it in half, so I’m back on the hunt. I know they could be viable.

Maybe I’ll take them a few at a time and apply different methods to them to see what works best and go from there.

2 Likes

I feel your pain all too well. At least you had something to replace them with. Sucks losing killer genetics. If you grow enough from seed, it’s bound to happen at some point. Usually when you change from something that works well, to something you haven’t done before.

1 Like

Yea I also think the weed was just damn good @Instg8ter. It may not look like Skunk to you but it has a very unique effect where it can be very energizing and inspiring and it a totally different thing than some of the weed you get stoned on. This gets you high. I wouldn’t want to lace a good thai with anything, just smoke it as it is. Wish I could have had experienced the old sticks. Smoked a lot of south east asian but never sticks. Some have been wrapped with red, green, blue and yellow strings but never to a bamboo stick. I know the good stuff here is really good so I would believe the old sticks were pretty damn good.

@GMan that would be something someone would do where there is a climate like the tropics too. It’s not easy to keep things and if you have tons of weed you’re going to sell you might want to preserve it as good as you can to be able to sell it for a longer time. Today people put it in the fridge but it’s not a fool proof way as it will loose some flavor and smell being kept that way for months. But back in the 60s and earlier there were probably not that many frigest around where they grew fields so they would have gone for something like that rather than cooling it I would think to. I don’t know for sure but I have had some weed that seemed to be treated very different after harvest and I suspect it was something similar to COB. Maybe not totally but something along those lines. It was the exact same for a year. Exact same flavor and effect for a year. The guy just had it in his refrigerator and cut it like slices of a big loaf. Like meatloaf hehehe. The slang for ganja around the south at least is beef, neua, hahaha.

4 Likes

Ohhh I’m with you brother, my whole point was that it is like no other, most Hawaiians and early x’s used Thai as one of their foundation strains, because they are special. I would think string color denoted cob/fermentation dates of multiple harvest, long cure theory. I think the only place you would find any refined oil is in the wrapped sticks as a glue for the natural leaf wrap.

You would not need to go around burying jars. Not familiar with the tropics but at frost point here 48” deep @42 N the temperature will be a stable 54 degrees or so. A 5-6’ (deeper there I am sure) deep root cellar would take care of the Slow moist cure with no mold. Strings might delineate crops in a perpetual grow and storage with several harvests a season?

3 Likes

Hmm, not sure how it would increase THC but fermentation could create some sort of amplified effect. The Thai stick I had in Alabama and out on the west coast was always the same, same taste, same look, everything.

That may also be a reason it was so popular. Thai Stick was always Thai Stick. I never saw any knockoffs. That’s another reason a cob type cure seems likely since the taste was always the same. It’s what made it so good. Fucking yummy good. Two or three hits on a pin joint was it.

It was very meticulously wrapped on the stick by skilled people who must have really taken their time. Like they had nothing better to do. It was always tied with bamboo fibers on a bamboo stick. No colors back then.

2 Likes

@Instg8ter Yea I agree they are very special in the effects and I am biased as I just love the kind of effects. I would suppose that growing weed in Hawaii would also be a good idea as the climate is very special. Maybe the string thing would be an indication on batch like you say if growing perpetual like you can here it would be a good idea to not forget which batch has been curing for how long hehe. I also always saw one color at a time, never multiple colors but to be honest most of the commercial weed around these parts are not tied with string only pressed. 10 years ago the strings were more common in my experience.

Yea the tropics is brutal to most things when they are cut. Fruits, vegetables, weed and seed all go bad pretty quick. I am from north Europe and it’s nothing like back home where things last a whole lot longer most times of year.

@GMan maybe the cure would make some THC transform like cure does and like growing plants different times can do. I don’t know, just speculating now. It sure does seem to be a good idea for keeping weed longer with better flavors and smells.

I can see a whole army of women working extra tying flowers to sticks. One thing that definitely is a fact still in these parts though is that if one entity has some success in a process it is often copied. Not saying the sticks were copied but maybe they were eventually grown in more than one place. But again I am only speculating. It seems to work that way with most businesses here though. They see one person having success and then you see another, just the same kind, business pop up around that first. In tourist areas you can definitely see this kind of behavior where there can be the same kind of shops all along the same street. Oh the tourists like massages, boom you have ten of those shops in a row. Or the market. Oh people seem to love fish cakes so everyone’s frying fish cakes.

The sad things is that it was probably the “war on drugs” from the west that put an end to those glory days as it is now very dangerous or very, very expensive to run any kind of operation like that in most areas here. Only in the most remote places can you feel a bit safe yet if you’re caught with it, they can pretty much take you for everything you have. Even with the new medical kind of rules it doesn’t mean anyone can smoke or grow it, far from it. I had hopes that they would use it as a crop for all the people to be able to grow and eventually, when the whole world gets off this trip of trying to kill cannabis culture, that they could export it. Nothing like those south east asian types grown in south east asian climate under the sun. even grown under the sun but in a different climate, I would expect things to change a bit. There’s something special with this climate and you can taste it in fruits and other crops as well. I would love to see thai sticks come back and people being able to grow it properly. That is probably the number one problem with quality these days, the ability to grow it properly.

4 Likes

There’s probably people out there with pretty good versions of C99. It’s a bit weird that the new MrSoul contradicts the old MrSoul on quite a few points regarding his old crown jewel. He even changed his story on how that whole cubing process begun, let alone ended. He also seem to have changed his tune on weather or not good generations can be made with his seeds. It’s just stupid to say things that it won’t be good. I get that it won’t be the exact same and selling them under the exact name like copying it is not an honest way to go about it. I have tried Joey Weed and Mosca, both did pretty good jobs and had some of those exotic flavors in there. I have tried a lot of hybrids which are also pretty good, like the one with Strawberry Diesel, I really liked that one.

Never tried Kiwi seeds, are they from New Zealand?

2 Likes

Kwik seeds. Not Kiwi seeds. Sorry about that. Seeds go like hotcakes. Sounds killer… ( Kiwi seeds is from New zealand lol)

2 Likes

Hahaha no problem I just read it like that and thought they were referring to NZ. Never heard of Kiwik seed either though but there’s a lot of new things I haven’t had the pleasure of getting to know yet. What is their C99 line story? A lot of the people that made their own versions seem to use a simplified nomenclature like F2, F3, F4 etc. where it’s maybe not that simple. Not if talking about the true state of the genetics as the original C99 release was a third backcross to a female clone it’s hard to make true F1 seeds or true F2 seeds from those and think they will behave like true F1 or F2 lines would. But I think most of the cannabis community at large use the simplified way of talking about different generations of seeds with just saying F1 for any cross of two different hybrids and then if one buy seeds and make some with those it’s per automatic an F2 but genetically it’s a bit more complicated. They won’t behave like and F1 or and F2 if the starting point isn’t two unrelated and stable parental lines that made the seeds in the first place.

That being said, whatever generation they’re on there’s probably some nice stuff in there. Joey made what he called F2s from original C99 seeds and Mosca did both something he called “BX-1” and “F1” which doesn’t make much sense but I liked Moscas touch to most of the seeds I tried from him. He seem to have a good selection pallet and eye. The flavor of the BX-1 was really nice, almost better than the original but I didn’t find that tiny phenotype I love so much in his BX-1. I didn’t find that one in Joey’s version either but those were grown in maybe 2006 or 2007 so not the same as he sells today. Moscas version was made with Walley Duck’s version of C99 crossed to I think Reeferman’s version or a clone. Both had better yield and better flavor in general than most of the versions I tried but they didn’t have that special one which is just fantastic in effect. Moscas seemed to be a bit more on the stronger stemmed and beefier flower side than normally which is nice for a lot of people but it was also a bit more mellow in the high. I had one that was really tropical fruit and one that was really sweet and with similar notes just more candy like. Joey had more of the orignal funk left in them. This is from memory though…

2 Likes

I read up a bit on the Kwik Seeds C99 (https://kwikseeds.com/product/cinderella99-cindy99-c99-strain-cannabis-seeds/) and it seems to be a seed bank right? Not a company making seeds? So it should be the new Brothers Grimm C99. I don’t really buy the new MrSoul’s statements on it being “exactly like the original” nor did I buy everything he said back in the late 90s and early 00s online either but I liked some of the plants so it matter little. The picture they use in the link above looks nice though. I think the big difference, for the nit-picking like me, would be that the new release is made with new male selections. I think this is the reason it is P97 and not P94 like the very first release, maybe he didn’t have more of the P88 seeds to make the P94 generation anymore. He also used to make the old C99 offerings with more than one male each step this new release seem to utilize one male selected. I really don’t mind but it’s a bit of a trick calling it “the original” when the ingredients clearly has been changed a bit.

He came off a bit thick for me when he made his return so I have stayed away from the new version of both plants and company. Also he change the original story of how the Cinderella “cubing” begun which is also odd to me. He used to talk a lot about this “brother of Princess” which would be a male plant that he found in the same bud as the three female clones he used (Princess, Genius and Cafe Girl). Wonder if that was just a story back then to cover the base of it not being an accidental hermie pollination that his bag-seeds came from. He used to be very against feminized seeds as many were back in the 90s. He changed his tune on that too these days as most of the offerings now are feminized seeds from BG. He even speaks on “how to make feminized seeds” as opposed to saying they were all bad like he used to. Money can change the most stubborn mind I guess.

Funny though how he came back and talked a lot about original and such things. I remember the old days when the old Brothers Grimm sold seeds. They had more than just the Cinderella 99 and Apollo offerings. They also sold their version of White Widow calling it Grimm Widow and they also used that Widow to make things like Ice Princess and they even copied Greenhouse Seeds Great White Shark (Super Skunk x White Widow) calling their own version Grimm White Shark using both Super Skunk and Widow from Greenhouse Seeds who were also actively selling these lines at the time. Not too original in my book but they actually had a pretty good version of the Widow. Sugar Blossom was a really good one as was the Ice Princess. I had a friend who grew a lot of White Widow back in those days and it’s very hard these days to find a Widow like the old one.

2 Likes

The c99 is an IBL at this point. It’s from some guy that continued to grow the original Brothers Grimm, and I believe he was at F 5 or at F6. Kwik seeds sales the real seed companies whole entire lineup. If you want Real Seed Company stock, and you live in the US, you would go through these guys. I think you could probably order from the Real Seed Company if you wanted to. The owner of the real seed company is a collector himself, and other collectors give him their findings as well. Kwik seeds has only sold real Seed Company stock until recently, when they started carrying hybrids and heirlooms.

3 Likes

I don’t agree with the IBL thing but that’s just me, like with the F2, F3 etc. it’s just not that simple as backcrossing to a recurrent parent and fix all traits. Backcrossing, even over multiple generations wouldn’t make a line stable for all traits hence it can’t be an IBL. Soul tried to say these things back in 2000/2001 as well that C99 was a “true breeding” variety but it’s not. It doesn’t take anything away from it though, it’s a good line, I like it. I would agree with the statement that C99 is a bit more stable for some traits that most one to one hybrids sold on the general market today though. I especially like it crossed to other good lines but I have also seen a lot of variation between different versions and within versions of C99. It’s definitely more “work” put in to make a 3 or 4 times backcrossed version of something than just crossing plant A to plant B and call it a new name.

I guess I got the wrong impression about the Kwik Seeds if it’s not selling Brothers Grimm stock. I don’t know what The Real Seed Company is either but it’s cool if they did their own version. I would probably like to try that more than the new version from BG. The picture isn’t any one I have seen before and like I commented it looks nice. A bit beefier than the phenotype I liked best in the originals and some of the later versions but it look real nice. I know that some of my friends swear by Peak Seeds which is also a few generations from the original release and it seems to be different than say Mosca’s selection of the line. It’s always interesting to see what a good aficionado can come up with making a new version of something you like.

2 Likes

The c99 does breed true for several traits. 50 day flowering time. Pineapple and tropical fruit flavors and smells. Decent yield. Short and stocky stature. IBL status is achieved at the Seventh Generation, but with proper backcross it can be achieved in three. Strain don’t have to breed true for every trait to be an IBL, only some traits. These traits of course, should be passed on to progeny in a true IBL. Since he picked up the original c99, which was third and fourth generation I believe, and he brought it another five or six Generations forward, always selecting for the same traits, (which you could expect to see if you make seeds and grow them out)the grower that continued his c99 line has achieved IBL status in my book. Of course everything depends on the starting stock as well. C99 is not a multi-hybrid. It is haze, which is an IBL crossed with something else, and I think I know what it is, and it was also very stable. If you start with two stable varieties and make a cross with the two, achieving an IBL is much easier afterwards. I think many people made c99. When I looked at it and it’s flowering time I knew immediately what the secret ingredient was, and I would expect others did to. Because they started with different parents, they would get different results. I agree, that IBL is not such a simple term. But I did read that’s something only has to breed true for the selected traits to be an IBL. For instance, my greeting goals could simply be a short plant with big buds. If I Grow from seed, and all the plants are short with big buds, I have achieved IBL status, for a short plant with large buds.

4 Likes

Well it all depends on how one define the term IBL and if it should be true for all traits or just some. I do agree that through most of the C99 lines I have seen there’s been a few things that seem to be dominant, like early maturing flowers but I have also seen variations in flavor, smell and high which to me makes it not true for those traits. Not all C99 have a tropical flavor/smell but many do.

C99 is supposedly a Jack Herer as the bud where the seed the mother (the recurrent parent in MrSoul’s backcrossing schedule) came from was allegedly Jack Herer from the Sensi Smile Coffee shop. It’s no way of knowing if the pollen came from the same female plant, another female in the same line, a male from that line or if it was totally unrelated. The genetics of Jack Herer has never been disclosed by Sensi Seeds but it’s allegedly a mix of Skunk#1, Northern Lights 5 and Haze. Nevil said it was the same breeding pedigree (not the exact same plants) as his Super Silver Haze which is (NL5 x Haze C) x (Skunk#1 x Haze C). So even if it was only Jack Herer involved it has at least three different lines in it’s making.

I do agree though that C99 usually is worked much more than a usual line and if people also are continuing that work down the filial generations it would sure be more inbred but also the result depends on the selection each step.

I still have some quotes form almost 20 years ago when Soul talked about his second release of C99 which was the P97 or 4th backcross. He said that the results were counter intuitive and gave more variation than the P94 or 3rd backcrossed generation did. Maybe I am just too hard on the definition of IBL but this discussion was up already back then when Soul called his C99 true breeding which set some people off. Again I agree it seem true for some traits but even the P94 were not all the same.

I have also seen Chimera lay out a bit more complicated genetic models on what happens if you filial breed the C99 and it will segregate more but then again applying selection is key. His model, as far as my layman comprehension of genetics go, was assuming using all plants which I assume people have not done when making their own versions of C99. They applied their selections on the line.

2 Likes

This is one of the old quotes about C99 and how he made it, not that it states that the 3rd backcross is what he calls “Cinderella 99”, not the 4th like he states today.

2 Likes

Jack Herer and Haze make a 50 day plant? I dont think thats possible. Is it? I think Haze was crossed with something else to make C99. There were many years there was no Brothers Grimm C99. I thought this was because they lost their genetics somehow…and didn’t have the stock they needed to reproduce it. Yet Haze and Jack Herer have always been easy to find. Doesn’t make sense. I think someone is hiding the ingredients of this secret c99 recipe! Not many strains flower in 50 days. In fact, for sativas there is only one. And the structure of it looks exactly like the Kwik seeds photo of cindy. I think that Ciskei from Tropical Seed Company was used. TSC received seeds of this short flowering gem from a defunct seed company, and reproduced it to make it available again. This would explain why Brothers Grimm couldn’t make c99 for awhile…there was no Ciskei available. Then tropical seeds releases it, and c99 is reborn a relatively short time later. Ciskei is a 55 day Sativa. Tsc has/had a photo of a Ciskei plant that looks remarkably similar to c99 on kwik seeds. Just an educated guess on my part, but everything matches better than jack herer.

6 Likes

Yea that was my point to as C99 is quite early and even Jack Herer, which is not a pure haze by any means, would flower for a few weeks longer in my experience. I don’t know what those females that came out of the bud in Amsterdam was and nor does MrSoul. He and others used to assume it was Jack Herer pollen that made it but it could be anything. I agree that making a filial generation of JH wouldn’t always produce such fast flowering plants.

No they stopped selling seeds in 2001/2002 and their stock was finished by 2003. I think the new MrSoul have elaborated a bit on the story as to what he did during the time he was gone. The old company was MrSoul and Sly, the new company MrSoul teamed up with Duke. Don’t know if he (Soul) really got all the building blocks like the real Princess cut but I guess if people kept it alive and gave it back to him it’s possible but the new releases would be new selections on the male side hence why he is selling P97 or the 4th backcross, I don’t think he had any P88/C88 seeds left to select from so he took P94 or C99 and selected a new male and did yet a backcross, in best case scenario.

Yes I agree with you on the Kwik Seed photo being a real nice one, I sure think it looks better than Brothers Grimm’s new photos of their new C99. Never grew the Ciskei or saw it so I don’t know. I think the structure of the Kwik Seeds C99 looks on point due to their selections. I have seen other people making their versions of C99 that were like that too and there are some that are different in that they’re not that branchy and they make bigger flowers with a bit more mellow high than the kind of energetic and up beat high of some of the C99 phenotypes.

Something sure is hiding in that initial cross with JH that Soul bought buds from but what has always been the million dollar question. The funny thing is that the sister, Genius, makes similar type of seeds so getting two seeds in a bud that gives offspring that flower that quick sure points to something else but JH added to the mix. I actually think some of the Genius offspring flowered even quicker for me. I always took my C99 to 56 days or even 60 not that you couldn’t cut it at 50 but I grew under 400 watt lights back then. I had some Apollo 11 and some other crosses with Genius and C99 in the mix that were done right on day 50 and they were really good. I agree with you there’s not many lines with that quick flowering time delivering that type of high.

2 Likes

Check out the pictures of tropical seed companies Ciskei. You may have to go on a website other than tropical seeds to see the photo of the full plant I am talking about. I hadn’t heard the story of the Jack Herer being used. Maybe Jack Herer was crossed with that small South African variety. Crazy how much it looks like c99 from Kwik seeds. All this talk of c99 has me wanting to grow it, but my plate is full for the summer. Anyone reading this have ciskei? It would be interesting to cross this with Haze, and see what comes out… what are the flowering times for Jack Herer? I seem to remember 9 weeks? Is that about right? I never did smoke any of that. I’ve heard it’s wonderful. Last question. When is the finish time Outdoors 4C 99? I know it flowers fast, but I heard it’s a late starter. Please include latitude

3 Likes