Do you smoke Thai?

It’s good old memories. Miss smoking that weed. It’s been a few years but I have smoked a lot of south east asians since which is also pretty nice when you find the good stuff.

As long as the guy did good selection I bet those are nice. Some of the private ones have been the best ones I tried actually.

Hahaha tomorrow man, hahaha… when you get them to grow you have to post a few pictures, always love to see a nice Cindy plant.

4 Likes

Great info there. The c99 I picked up is kwik seeds version. I regret not growing them this year. Next year for sure. I didn’t know so many companies offered it over the years. You’re lucky you have tried so many. Now I know to look for the floppy phenos. I’d like them best I think. What is yr favorite SE Asian? I never tried any from there. Have you checked out any of the offerings from the landrace team or Kwik seeds? Wondering what you would think about the descriptions of these, and if you think you’ve had them before.

3 Likes

Same here @GMan. Would love to see a grow of those…

2 Likes

I never grew any landrace south east asians indoors but I have had the pleasure of smoking a lot of really good ones in this region. It’s hard to tell where they came from if I didn’t know the guy growing them (commercial offerings). That is why I call them south east asians as many people, if you put the “thai” tag to some of the commercial offerings, would come out and say “all the weed is grown in Laos anyways” though they might know as much as me where the weed actually came from. A few times I know I got weed from Cambodia, or at least I had a good source that I knew that told me so and it was a bit different from the normal commercial offering. So it’s hard for me to say one particular region or country where the “best” comes from. Usually to me if it’s good it’s good if it’s not I try to find something else. Almost all weed that obviously came from somewhere in the south east asia region have similarities though there are some variations.

Usually the weed I smoke have been grown in south east asia under the sun which also makes it quite special in my opinion. Same as if people get true Afghani plants and grow them and make hash, it’s not the same as the hundreds of years of hash making tradition in that specific region. I like to try the varieties grown in location if that makes sense. The environment and the special circumstances makes for special weed. It’s the same with tropical south east asian types in my mind. They just have something special to them and when they are really good, they are spectacular. I like the effects too so I am biased. I like to get high rather than stoned though I won’t discriminate too much against stoney stuff.

That being said I have seen two main types if I had to put some sort of general category on the weed. There are green types and brown types. To me the green types are much more common when dealing with commercial batches. The green (when it’s good) is often more obviously potent or “stronger” than the brown though they have slightly different character. It’s a bit like red and white wine I suppose, I am really a beer person though so this comment might set some wine people off. They will both get you high but in slightly different ways. That being said, there’s variations within the two main types but I had really good examples of both.

The green type is more of the typical “trip” weed I read people tell stories about. It usually comes on quicker though there are some that seem to have a delayed and gradual building up of effects. Some make you real calm and happy where some might make you a bit tense like looking over your shoulder. Some are more obvious in their effects where some are a bit subtle and just enhances light, color and mood. Some of the strongest (which is really a highly subjective measurement) have been green types. The really good ones are very long lasting and they can cause me to eat a lot of food and ice cream. If they have been grown and taken care of (usually non commercial ones) they might even have a nice smell and some flavor. The pressed bricks, even when they have a good effect rarely retains smell and flavor well over time.

The brown type, when really good, is a bit different. It’s just something to the quality of the high that feels more like a dream. It’s usually warmer and kinder to the mind some to the point I think I didn’t get high enough and I smoke too much. I have seen some that looked almost like broken up coco beans or chocolate though I never had ones that tasted like chocolate or coco.

I have had some really good examples of both the above as I said and when they are really good both are highly enjoyable to me. The best brown is like a dream and it comes on slow, very smooth and keeps me smiling and swimming (if on the beach) for quite some time and then it very gradually subsides back into normality. Where some of the strongest greens can have a bit more of a crash effect if I don’t smoke more after a few hours but not all of them.

All in all the private things I have had the pleasure of smoking have always been the best even some that were maybe not as strong as some commercial they had more of a personality or character to them which I enjoy more and more the older I get. It’s not just about getting high, it’s about what kind of high as well. I remember a friend where I live now that gave me a branch that he cut off a growing plant (so it wasn’t dry but totally fresh) and I smelt it and it was just intensely like lemons or lemon grass. I have had very sweet smelling ones and some that turned brown when drying and the resin was actually amber with a kind of plum and dried fruit flavors to it which was really nice. That sort of thing you very rarely see when smoking commercial weed.

I had some really nice commercial weed from a guy where I used to live for a few years working. I would go to his place at least once a week and get a nice slice of the weed he sold and it was always very fresh and savory. I think it was treated differently than most pressed (though it too was pressed) weed and it jus retained flavors and color in a different way. It was really nice smoke and and it was always good where some places might have good weed one week and the next it’s just dry bricks with seeds. I remember that when smoking that good one I would roll a thin joint and have a coffee in the morning and that little thin joint would burn forever. It had this nice, incense essence to the smoke and at times it reminded me of some of the haze types I smoked as a kid. Not really fruity but a nasty kind of incense quality to the smoke. It would linger if smoked out the window in the room to the point my wife would complain hours later asking me if I smoked indoors (which she hates).

I could go on and on about these types and the different funny experiences I’ve had over the years. Sure I had some really disappointing experiences during this time as well. Usually though the scenery here would often make for a good mood which I always felt added something to the smoking experience. I have gone to the jungle or mountains and come across some old guy who loves to smoke bamboo bongs and when I came he didn’t have much dried but he went out and nipped a few flowers off a growing plant and with a special kind of technique quick dried them and we smoked some within 30 minutes that blew my mind. That I wouldn’t have believed if I hadn’t experienced it myself. Micro waved weed back home was never a favorite though I have had those experiences too. Of course properly dried weed is always better but sometimes you’re just out in nature and meeting new interesting people who share your love for this herb and you have a real nice experience even with some half wet weed. Going on a long-tail boat to a far off beach or talking long walks in the jungle through caves and to waterfalls really enhances the experience of getting high in my mind.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for that. Great descriptions. Makes me want to grow some Thai! Have you noticed any hybrid genetics popping up on the scene mixed with the local Thai? Or do you think the Thai landrace’s are okay for now?

2 Likes

You have some on the way brother. 2 month cure but well worth the wait. I got a new press in and smashed a Thai nugget about a gram. Showed the wife how to use a dab rig. “Two hit and quit” weed. Looked over a half hour later and she was out with her eyes open on a magic carpet ride. Said she could not feel her body…:joy:

4 Likes

Man, you can go on like me but your stories are so much better! I’m guessing of you smoking a little Thai High while writing that. Man, I was mesmerized. (I’m getting whacked on some Uzbekistan)

I have more sativa stuff in my house now than I’ve had since the 70’s paper bags full of mexi seeds. I’m going to start trying to manage what I have. I’m going to have to dial in the new space better for humidity, temp, and airflow. aka, money. heh I can’t wait.

Maybe I’ll be able to smoke some of my garden, close my eyes, and go hiking and swimming through the wilds of Thai with you, heh. It’s gonna take some getting used to again. I haven’t been smoking any sativa for a long time. Sativa dom, but not much serious sativa. I have some to grow so I’ll need to train hard!

1 Like

@Upstate I am biased as I said as I really like to get high rather than stoned and my descriptions are much more vivid about NLD types than WLDs. I have personally not seen any hybrids sneaking into the “thai genetic pool” as in the commercially and locally grown being hybrids. I think they’re just south east asians but I haven’t seen it all. What I have seen, but it was made pretty clear to me, was imported flowers. I smoked what they said was cali weed on a tropical beach. This one guy sells local which is not that expensive but usually pretty good. He sometimes also have some imported hash from Nepal which really took me back to the 90s. Haven’t seen the Nepalese in Europe the last 20 years almost but there it was again. It’s a bit of a mess to keep it here in the tropics as you have to put it in the refrigerator or it will just be a sticky mess. Really love the Nepalese hash the most as it is also up high rather than knock you down stone. Rolling a joint of thai weed with small bits of Nepalese hash mixed into it was the closest thing to meditating with my eyes open man it was good.

He also had some imported flowers. Now it’s not easy to get valuable information regarding “where does this come from” in this part of the world. Most people will just tell you something someone made up or make shit up themselves and the first time I smoked the imported flowers I just thought it was indoor grown here. It was hybrid like indoor weed and the guy told me it was “Skunk”. Yea right I thought. And it wasn’t. Then an american guy were there with me and bought some and he told him it was “Kush” so I was like “aha, he’s using the terms that he think we call indoor weed. Europeans, mostly english, will call a lot of good indoor grown “Skunk” and americans will call it “Kush”. Then one time I asked to get some of the indoor weed and it really had a skunky smell. I asked him what it was and he said “Fernando”. I was again like “what the fuck” but then when I smoked it and after talking to the guy he told me he got it from america through a guy. This particular time it was SFV, San Fernando Valley and it actually made sense to me. Really nice smoke with a loud smell and a bit of citrus to that flavor. Another time he had one that smelt really strong, similar but more like a Chem or Diesel type to me, really loud and it was stoney as fuck, especially when I am used to the south east asian types it hit me so hard I couldn’t drive home for a few hours.

When I sat there and smoked and had some conversations with other people he went and got a small bag of weed that was purple, almost black. This english guy said he knew it was “Forbidden Fruit” which is supposedly some new (at the time) strain that I had never grown, smoked or even heard about. This kid smoked cali weed all the time in London he said and this was it he said. He begged the guy to buy the little bag of weed for a silly amount of money which I thought was funny. He got to buy half the bag which was about 3 grams, as the thai guy said he could buy half and the rest we would smoke together. The english chap was pretty set back by this as he already paid for it and got his half bag when the thai guy went on rolling a fat joint and smoking it with me and a few others for free hahaha. I thought the chem/diesel type was far better which I had bought a few grams of and already smoked. The Forbidden Fruit was to me more typical of purple weed which I am not the biggest fan of but it was good. A bit too stoney but I was already wrecked.

The english guy told me what the strain was supped to be and I can’t remember it today but he didn’t get the fact that I was a grower and I have been a fan of weed since the 90s. He was like 22 and “knew it all” so I let him go on about how great it was. He was more exited about it having that name than the smoke I am sure.

But the short answer, I have not seen thai lines crossed with western hybrids and grown for commercial bartering here but I am not saying it doesn’t happen. But I would say I should have seen some if it was very common. It is much, much more common to see south east asians as the commercial offerings. The indoor bud or imports are quite rare in most places. I still remember that my american friend that intreduced me to that place where they had it all said to me before we went there the first time that it was like an Amsterdam coffee shop and a thai reggae bar had a love child and it was kind of true, I thought it was better than both.

4 Likes

@Instg8ter some can be like a magical carpet ride, especially if you haven’t smoked in a while and have low tolerance it can really get to you. That’s why I love it, the mind trip is much more appealing to me than falling asleep in a beach chair and waking up when everyone’s gone home. Just more active and fun. Thai weed rosin would be magical. The closest I got was some plants I grew myself and let them really finish so they had a much richer resin content than usually here. I had to trim them myself and the trim hash was just magical. Head felt like a ballon tied to a cement block just light up in the air with a big smile on my face.

3 Likes

@GMan thanks for the kind words. I do tend to ramble on and just go with it and this type of weed kind of tickles my writing nerve a bit. When I am in a good mood I could probably write half a book before rolling another one.

Yea man, come here and let’s smoke some bamboo bongs with the natives and go into the wild. Nature is a trip in itself here and smoking things grown in this environment kind of connects you to the whole thing. It’s weird to me as it seems the effect is geared towards the total experience of being here in the tropics. I think I enjoy these thai types much more here than I would back home especially in the winter. It just feels right in some strange way to smoke these here as they’re tuned into the climate. Wonderful to go roam the rows of pineapples and through the durian and mango trees with the occasional papaya and banana tree breaking the symmetry. Eating fresh tropical fruits after smoking this weed is really nice too. Even water mellon tastes loud and have distinct flavors that linger on the pallet where as back in northern Europe it would just taste bland. I love to eat the local food here too as spices seem to go very well with the weed too. It used to be much more common to see people grow weed here I have been told. Some older folks always tell me when they see me smoking that they want to put it in their curries which they used to do a long time ago. Weed here in the south is called a few things when speaking slang but one of them, when it’s really good weed, is “gaeng kiaow waan” which means green curry (word for word “curry green sweet”) or just kiaow waan which also means green curry.

There’s nothing like smoking a nice joint and having some food and then go driving in the country side on a motorbike letting the wind cool off the worst of the heat. Just a fun thing to do but one should be careful driving anything in this country as it is a high risk for accidents, they drive like crazy. But the back roads in the country side far from touristy places and police checks are nice. People always smile and wave hello when you pass them with a big grin.

3 Likes

Ohhh she liked it, especially with her Fibro acting up, said she felt her head was floating and disconnected from her body (pain). The Purple Thai rosin is just that, a beautiful plum color and the smell is of a fresh bouquet of tropical flowers. None of the Slight unripe banana taste that was there the first month of cure. I have 2 clones running now and have brushed the lowers with some Pineapple Thai that’s an 80 day strain. PPT - Purple Pineapple Thai anyone? I will let these go a bit longer than the first to see if itboost rosin without ouch lock.

2 Likes

Man, I love reading your stories. I’m the same way when I get buzzed. I write a lot. Heh.

I bet it’s a blast hitting the countryside on a motorcycle. Or the ocean areas.

Maybe I can create a special strain that will make me wealthy so I can travel a little. Lol. peace

3 Likes

@Instg8ter sounds wonderful with that rosin and that unripe banana thing really is a nice way of putting that floral fruity kind of taste, made sense to me. Sounds like a special plant you’ve got there for sure!

@GMan thanks for the kind words once again! It’s just a blast to smoke and enjoy the simple things in life here and I am lucky to be here. I am not rich and I am not traveling as I live here and have done for some time and I still remind myself every now and then how lucky I am to have this as my everyday experience. Especially now when most of the world’s been on lock-down it’s been nice to be locked down here.

2 Likes

@StocktonT that’s why I’m leaning toward the two month minimum cob cure theory. Right now after a month and a half the fruit aftertaste in the flower is more sweet like the rosin and smoothing out daily.

2 Likes

Keep rambling! My only complaint is the constant need to wipe drool off my chin lol! Next best thing to smoking is yr descriptions! Nepal hash pellets in a thai joint… … my goodness that sounds epic. Do you find seeds in the local stuff much these days?

3 Likes

Yeah bro, I hear ya. I lost almost everything almost 5 years ago and came here to Colorado to a small simple town in a very rural part of the state. It’s really cheap. It’s a legal state and our city has lots of pot shops to collect tax money so I’m in heaven.

Since here I was able to put together the purchase of a cheap property together with the help of a sister. I live a few miles out of town, have mountain views, can hike out of my neighborhood, have a state park lake 2 miles away and animals that come to visit often.

So, I don’t have money like in the past but I have so much more. I grow pot on my property freely and food, too. Go fishing, and kayaking at the lake and always messing around outside and in the mountains.

Living closer to nature and people who live by older ways makes the whole relationship with pot so much nicer. I don’t get to travel like the old days, but I landed in a place of pure peace and joy imo.

Yeah, I’m with the others; I dig the stories. I love talking with @Sunvalley in South Africa, and @Pedro_Bann in Australia, and my buddy @Saxo in Germany. I really get such a kick out of it. I wish I could pick up and come visit all of you! But the next best thing is a pot forum full of people who can let you experience it through words. Pretty cool shit. peace

15 Likes

@Instg8ter I hear you on that for sure, usually though I can’t wait that long, hehe, I like to smoke it smoke it and then oops it’s gone. The locals I meet and smoke with most of them are amazed that I can’t turn down a bong or a joint, I just keep on smoking. I love it and most of my close friends back home we smoke a lot so we are not used to people smoking one joint and then “no thanks”. Two of my best friends went to Morocco a few years back and they took a bus up to the mountains where they grow and make hash. The farmer had to tap out before they did. They smoked hash and oil with him. The best of the best rarely leaves the country so they smoked some really good hash but he eventually had to tell them he needed to sleep and they kept smoking. They even asked if they could smoke some of the weed as they wanted it to mix the hash and oil with it and they don’t like to smoke tobacco.

I wish I still had access to that Nepalese hash though but I don’t. My stories are not always what I am smoking now though I am a weed guy and I love to smoke thai weed but mixing that Nepalese into a big joint of thai was heaven. Not easy to find hash around here though and that place is a bit away from where I stay now. I used to live there and work around that place so I would go most days I had time to. It’s also nice to have a joint or two of the indoor/imported weed from time to time but it’s so different in effect to these south east asian types. I like these better but the variation is something I really like.

3 Likes

@GMan I moved to Asia after a divorce back home and I just needed to get out and travel and do something completely different. Always traveled to Asia for holidays and I thought “where was I happy last” and I went. Have know this culture for 20 odd years and always loved the people, food, culture and weed of this place so it was really a good decision to go. I wish I could grow much more as the weather is good for growing here but it’s also very dangerous to do any serious growing here. Especially if you’re a foreigner like I am. Where I am now is way off the tourist path though which is nice but one have to speak the local language here, not many speak english.

The only thing that is not good with growing a lot is the fact that you can’t really go anywhere if you’re keeping things alive and constantly growing. I had a few of those back home when I kept a garden running all year, you know the times I had to cut it down at harvest and give clones to a few friends and hope they would still have them when I could start up again but I had to start over a few times. A garden usually keeps you at bay for a bit if you’re serious with it and traveling isn’t that easy. The other side of the coin is when traveling about like I did the last five or so years is that it’s hard to keep a garden. The first years I stayed in more populate areas which also made it impossible for me to even grow a few plants but there were a lot of commercial weed around.

I hear you about nature and people living another kind of life. That is what the experience for me is about right now. Here things haven’t changed that much the last 50 years if you take away the newer cars and the smartphones. I love that they stick to their way of life more here than in tourist towns. I also grew up in a rural place so I like this kind of mentality though it’s much more preserved here than back where I come from. The climate here is so good for growing most things which also makes it so nice. Fruits and vegetables and we have a lot of things from the ocean as I live close to it. The food is amazing. Europe changed a lot the last 30 years and not all have been good change in my mind.

I hear you about the pot forums too. I have spent way too much time online since the end of the 90s when I first discovered the forums and it’s nice when one finds a good home like overgrow here when it popped up again seem to be. I used the old blue site a lot and had a great time until that winter morning when I tried to log on and it was just gone. When growing indoors me and my friends found a lot of nice seeds from the online community both commercial and private things… that is a whole other post… those old lines I still think about them…

5 Likes

I have a few Nepalese dropped now, bad germ rate , hope I get at least a female for a taste. I am running a few of my Thai again for a x with pineapple Thai on the lowers and more bud so I can cob cure a batch and make some Thai sticks also. Have two so I should be set on head stash, also have some larph I can squeeze for rosin, no more than two hits from the vape. Grabs you right behind your eyes…love it!!!:beer::sunglasses:

3 Likes

nepalese hasch??

its been a while,i was smokeing some black hasch. this piece of nepalese i got from a dutch friend last year. the quality was better back in the 90`,i must say!! it´s hard to get good hashish nowaday…even in Amsterdam!!

…moroccan…

6 Likes