Doc D December 2022 seed run

I’m not sure about that. They were freebies, if you spent over 300 on the July orders.

3 Likes

In general I agree, but in this case we have documented communication, with Doc, giving his blessing specifically for Overgrow to do repro runs.
If he said yes, I say it’s fair game.

10 Likes

Of the bandaid or just asking in general
He’s a nice enough guy he’d say yes doesn’t mean it should be done with what could be considered his flagship draw

I’ve known end interacted with docD on and off for a little over a decade

I have no doubt he said sure about you guys doing repros
But just because something can be done doesn’t mean it should be in regards to the bandaid

13 Likes

He’s made so many great things from what I can tell

I see so many here with massive lists of his gear

Doing a pure bandaid repro just seems to me, to be pretty whack of a move

sure the masses want free bandaid beans and I doubt I’ll get much love for this but if you want bandaid stuff grab it from doc when he makes it next.

ethics

14 Likes

I see what you’re saying, and I don’t agree; if I ask for someone’s consent, and they expressly provide it, I’m going to act on that. Everything else is just a story in your head. I just don’t understand why you would doubt Docs sincerity when he enthusiastically supports reproductions.
F2’s are never going to significantly reduce demand for F1 stock from the breeder.
I respect your position, and moral code even if I think it’s misplaced in this instance.
Certainly nobody would fault you for being a conscientious objector to that seed run!

11 Likes

Hello HeadyBear, did Doc-d sign-off on a seed increase for the Bandaid Haze specifically? As well, repo (reproduction) can mean different things to different folk.

I do not know if Docd considers the Bandaid Haze (if that is what is being considered) as a current line and whether any F increases would interfere with his ability to sell seeds from that line. He should be able to specifically agree to the Bandaid Haze or clarify that it is being retired.

This idea differs from retired lines, doing crosses, et al.

No one can prevent anyone from doing increases on current lines but it will run into difficulties if within OG without an explicit sign-off. There is a variety of rationale behind this. You can view some of the past discussions regarding similar concerns for Bodhi. In fact, if you haven’t already, a discussion response from Bodhi provides a decent baseline for what is considered being respectful to breeder efforts and livelihoods while treating genetics as being free, generally. Here:

If you can provide additional insight here before expending the effort, it would be appreciated and will help to avoid issues.

10 Likes

These guidelines posted by Bodhi are solid and while I can’t speak for Doc…I suspect he would agree with Bodhi on all these points too.

11 Likes

Hey @Northern_Loki
I’m secondhand info here; the original communication with Doc that I’m referencing was done by @highminwin , so he can speak to exactly what was said.
I believe the language was “it warms my heart when people reproduce or hybridized my lines”, and it was in the context of this specific forum doing reproduction.
I’m sure that further communication could/should happen if BAH was selected for a project.
I don’t have a dog in this race, as I won’t be a part of the seed run; I just felt it was important to be clear that some communication with Doc has happened around breeding with his lines.

11 Likes

i just sent doc d another email to clarify his feelings on us repro’ing his bandaid haze line. i’ll report back if/when i hear from him. of course i have no desire to take from doc d’s ability to support himself, so if he says he would rather us not repro the bandaid haze, i will absolutely respect that. i’m not trying to ruffle any feathers here… just trying to get some good seeds to good people.

18 Likes

I think the bottom line here is overgrow members should, I believe, reproduce or increase seeds that doc d isn’t actively selling or going to remake. Even if he approves it, that doesn’t mean we SHOULD.

Of course, this is just my opinion and anybody can disagree. Doc d probably would be ok with it. I’m just trying to say we should stay classy and pick something that isnt being sold or remade.

15 Likes

I agree 100 percent with Leetdood.

Can’t really add to what he said cuz he nailed it.

6 Likes

Lol I did the same thing! Oops, sorry for the message bomb Doc!!

1 Like

This sums up what I’ve been saying

4 Likes

I do

Afpak x
suge pk
Topanga
Hollywood
98’ Hindu Kush out of humboldt
Russian kush
Skywalker G cut

Whatever you name it

Actually wait never mind I don’t need to take beans out of someone’s hands I’m sure doc will send me some

Good luck on the hunt tho

4 Likes

That would be cool to cross the AfPak to those cuts

3 Likes

Common courtesy is to not release F2’s of a strain someone is currently selling F1’s of.
Vaults get lost/seized/burnt, so its a godsend when someone can send you F2’s of what you just lost…look at DJ Short getting back f-gens of his lines he lost his parents of.

That doesn’t mean you cant F2 them - just, put em in the fridge for a few years. Or, at least keep em in there til you get express permission from the breeder himself.

Every seed is a piece of magic, so it can help the breeder to pop beans and hold onto - even back up with a buddy - keeper clones. But, be sure to keep the circle small, and keep the breeder in that circle.

8 Likes

^ this tho

4 Likes

Right I’m gonna try and get doc to send me a 100 or 200 pure if he has em left

I never once said you guys couldn’t do it

Your operating under the assumption it’s fine became he said yes

But like said I would lose the respect of the community for deciding to do that and would make me rethink being more generous here

Ethics are important
Common sense is too

7 Likes

Is this even for general distribution? My understanding is there’s like less than 10 people even in on it but I don’t really know how a community seed run works.

In any case I don’t have any iteration of BH seeds so I wouldn’t be able to participate in that.

I just freed up some space this weekend and will be popping seeds in the next week most likely, probably leaning towards A5 x DE at the moment if anyone wants to hop in on that? The other direction I’m willing to go is a sativa x afpak mashup.

CBH x A5tbx has kind of lost priority for me since I heard so I won’t be growing that for flower but probably still gonna dunk a 1-1.5 pack going straight into 12-12 and reveg anything that seems worth it. But in other words I’ll prob have a wee bit of cbh x a5tbx pollen but not a lot (I normally get very little pollen flowering in pint containers and will likely only be collecting from one or two).

5 Likes

yes these seeds will be put in a co-op box. I have Zang x afpak and cbh x a5ht but I won’t be able to start them until decemberish.

5 Likes