Does conventional breeding and filial notation apply to today's polyhybrids?

4 Likes

LOL… It’s grade-10 biology, no conspiracy.

3 Likes

Sounds like some damn Rusky Bot bullshit meant to make me vote republican. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Bot has been compromised…end transmission.
-KGB

5 Likes

yeah thats what i was reading before asking, its like french to me.

2 Likes

Aight, so imagine an allele is one Lego brick, and again let’s just use one trait as an example. How about the smell of the buds.

Each different smell is encoded on each allele. Let’s say a blue Lego smells like berries, and the yellow Lego smells like skunk, the green smells like pine. If there are only blue Legos available the plant is homozygous, if the mother gave a blue and the father gave a green, the plant is heterozygous. If the father offered a yellow and the mother had none to offer, there’s another term that I can’t remember at the moment.

Granted this if hella oversimplified, it’s just a way of putting breeding projects down on paper and successful breeding projects are not dependant on this knowledge. With computers and gene sequencing you can start a million plants on the equator, test each and every single plant, and tell the computer what your final plant should look like. The computer will then tell you which plants to breed together to get what you’re looking for.

That is the future of breeding

6 Likes

even simpler?:

homos f1’ing= IBL/PUREBRED X OTHER-IBL/PUREBRED

heteros f1’ing= ANYHYBRID X SOMETHINGELSE

?

this thread is a storm to beginner me.
overgrow breeding glossary for FAQ?

:evergreen_tree:c.s
edit: p.s. …very tempted to make bad jokes about young F1 drivers :wink:

4 Likes

I’m a beginner in the science of breeding as well so I’m not sure if you’re praising the thread or confused by it. Lmao :grin:

Edit: Everything we’re struggling to wrap our brains around is explained here.
https://passel.unl.edu/pages/informationmodule.php?idinformationmodule=957885794

3 Likes

Fascinating, all kidding aside @Worcestershire_Farms! :cowboy_hat_face:

Excelent my friend. You guys are skoolin’ oleskool and it’s greatly appreciated. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

confused mostly, but thanks for that link. bookmarked it because i’ve just come out of trim jail. scissors lead to hash & i ate a bunch of raw trim this morning. phyew!

:vulcan: (stuck together)

c.s

4 Likes

Nice videos @Scissor-Hanz. Some additional interesting videos from the same author:

Genes, Alleles, and Loci

Punnett Squares - Dihybrid Cross

Something off topic but good to know: Acidity, Basicity, PH of Salts in Solution

Then, there is this neat calculator (be sure to click the frequency button):
Punnett Square Calculator

8 Likes

Uuhhh… good bye. :grin:

4 Likes

I feel you. People can write about shit and use all the fancy terms and make it sound so difficult to understand. Lots want to pull quotes from RC’s book which may be one of the most boring books I ever read. I’ll normally try and read it on a plane. Sure fire way to put me to sleep.

Best advice I can give if you want to breed, is just do it. I been at it almost 40 years and couldn’t quote half the stuff people talk about online, but I know what to look for to make things happen.

Also, if there is a lot of hype around a certain strain chances are it’s just that. Most wouldn’t know a good genetic if it hit them upside the head.

BreedByExample

9 Likes

You guys do a great job. I don’t want to get in the way. :grin:

4 Likes

We’ve all very clearly stated that this is not our area of expertise. Maybe instead of shitting on the attempt, add something to the conversation.

We would love to hear it

5 Likes

My apologies,
It was not my attempt to shit on the thread, and my response was in direct response to Ryasco. The message was, don’t take all of the terminology used and focus on that. Just get out there and do it. Like everything else there is a lot of trial and error, and don’t settle for just ok. Dare to be different.

Some things can only be taught by experience, and the only way to gain that is by doing it and taking notes. Traits I breed towards I am sure are different from traits someone else breeds for and even that changes as the next strain is being created.

9 Likes

It is as simple or as complex as you like. You can watch all the videos, learn all the words, and approach it with a very scientific mindset.

Or.

You can find two plants you like and cross them, then get two plants you like from their kids and cross them.

Rinse, repeat.

If what you like remains fairly stable then you eventually will find most of the plants you grow end up very similar. Keep breeding the ones most like the ones you want and when over 95% of your seeds produce plants pretty much the same you have created your own stable line.

Now find two more plants from different stock and do the same (can be done parallel to the first line)

In an ideal world all four grandparent plants came from very different breeding lines and had different characteristics that you liked.

When you have two stable lines, cross them and you will have your own F1 seeds. These will be very homogeneous and vigorous. Now comes finding which plants produce the best cross from your stable lines. You will find some cross well with any partner, and some cross very well with a specific partner. You will be looking for offspring that carry many of the traits from all four ‘grandparents’.

No fancy words, or punnet squares (although that is about as simple as it gets), or knowledge of more than ‘what you like’.

I feel @LED_Seedz followed the second route which will produce plants just as good as any other method. Hell, it gave us pretty much everything we ate or wore for hundreds of years…

9 Likes

No apologies necessary. I just know that you’re a wealth of knowledge and a tough nut to crack. It wasn’t my intention to come off so abrasive. :grin: it’s all love brother

7 Likes