Does conventional breeding and filial notation apply to today's polyhybrids?

do you wanted to be picking a male and female from each generation to make the next or breed them back to a parent?

3 Likes

Iā€™d avoid breeding back to the parent, unless you just canā€™t find the desired characteristics in the next generation.
Plants have a more forgiving genetic make up when it comes to inbreeding but one shouldnā€™t press ones luck.:relieved:

4 Likes

i still donā€™t understand really about heterozygous and homozygous. so is it possible for polyhybrid crosses to be homozygous at ā€˜F1ā€™?

2 Likes

I donā€™t either, but never the twain should wed. :grimacing:

2 Likes

You can get an idea here. Itā€™s pretty basic, but hard to explain.

2 Likes

4 Likes

LOLā€¦ Itā€™s grade-10 biology, no conspiracy.

3 Likes

Sounds like some damn Rusky Bot bullshit meant to make me vote republican. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Bot has been compromisedā€¦end transmission.
-KGB

5 Likes

yeah thats what i was reading before asking, its like french to me.

2 Likes

Aight, so imagine an allele is one Lego brick, and again letā€™s just use one trait as an example. How about the smell of the buds.

Each different smell is encoded on each allele. Letā€™s say a blue Lego smells like berries, and the yellow Lego smells like skunk, the green smells like pine. If there are only blue Legos available the plant is homozygous, if the mother gave a blue and the father gave a green, the plant is heterozygous. If the father offered a yellow and the mother had none to offer, thereā€™s another term that I canā€™t remember at the moment.

Granted this if hella oversimplified, itā€™s just a way of putting breeding projects down on paper and successful breeding projects are not dependant on this knowledge. With computers and gene sequencing you can start a million plants on the equator, test each and every single plant, and tell the computer what your final plant should look like. The computer will then tell you which plants to breed together to get what youā€™re looking for.

That is the future of breeding

6 Likes

even simpler?:

homos f1ā€™ing= IBL/PUREBRED X OTHER-IBL/PUREBRED

heteros f1ā€™ing= ANYHYBRID X SOMETHINGELSE

?

this thread is a storm to beginner me.
overgrow breeding glossary for FAQ?

:evergreen_tree:c.s
edit: p.s. ā€¦very tempted to make bad jokes about young F1 drivers :wink:

4 Likes

Iā€™m a beginner in the science of breeding as well so Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re praising the thread or confused by it. Lmao :grin:

Edit: Everything weā€™re struggling to wrap our brains around is explained here.
https://passel.unl.edu/pages/informationmodule.php?idinformationmodule=957885794

3 Likes

Fascinating, all kidding aside @Worcestershire_Farms! :cowboy_hat_face:

Excelent my friend. You guys are skoolinā€™ oleskool and itā€™s greatly appreciated. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

confused mostly, but thanks for that link. bookmarked it because iā€™ve just come out of trim jail. scissors lead to hash & i ate a bunch of raw trim this morning. phyew!

:vulcan: (stuck together)

c.s

4 Likes

Nice videos @Scissor-Hanz. Some additional interesting videos from the same author:

Genes, Alleles, and Loci

Punnett Squares - Dihybrid Cross

Something off topic but good to know: Acidity, Basicity, PH of Salts in Solution

Then, there is this neat calculator (be sure to click the frequency button):
Punnett Square Calculator

8 Likes

Uuhhhā€¦ good bye. :grin:

4 Likes

I feel you. People can write about shit and use all the fancy terms and make it sound so difficult to understand. Lots want to pull quotes from RCā€™s book which may be one of the most boring books I ever read. Iā€™ll normally try and read it on a plane. Sure fire way to put me to sleep.

Best advice I can give if you want to breed, is just do it. I been at it almost 40 years and couldnā€™t quote half the stuff people talk about online, but I know what to look for to make things happen.

Also, if there is a lot of hype around a certain strain chances are itā€™s just that. Most wouldnā€™t know a good genetic if it hit them upside the head.

BreedByExample

9 Likes