EarthBox vs. RainScience Bag

The main selling point to the octopot was the “zero run to waste”.

You pour and go and fill it when it’s running out.

You can even gravity feed it with a 15-55 gallon barrel of premixxed nute solution.

This helps with the “I’m leaving for more than a week and want to keep everything topped off.”

Also sorry for taking over this post, if our octo-rep ever got off her a$$ and did her job, she could push out more info.

Calling you out again @OctoKaley.

5 Likes

Same thing with the Earthbox. Fill it and go. I add organic nutes in the water, top feed it twice. Once right before flower, then after about 5 weeks.

The large reservoir in the original holds enough to last a week or so in veg right now.

2 Likes

No worries about that. This is all about helping others find alternative ways to grow that may best suit their situation.

I like that you can gravity feed. Another friend bought some boxes and is setting up an auto watering system for hers on timers.

3 Likes

Some people here including myself have made a DIY octopot 1 gallon. I javnt tried growing in it yet but others have.

All from amazon.

Bag is 3 gal, rez is 1 gal. 10x10

6 Likes

Interesting. Someone is doing something similar on this thread using dollar store purchases. I love good hacks of system

4 Likes

Here is @firehead giving it a go

He’s using a 1 gallon bag

One of these days I’m going to take a clone and grow it out in the diy octopot

I think I spent 60$ for it all

2 wicking rez
4 3 gal fabric bags (I’m going to make my own with weed control fabric because these grow bags are thick af and can’t breathe well.)
And like 20 4 inch net cups

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I just measured my Octo’s. My sides are rolled 4” and my soil is an 1-1.5” from the top. I can stick my finger 3” down and it’s still pretty dry.

But I also am in a pro-mix/perlite mix and adding only 33% perlite. Also using Jack’s nutes based on Jetdro and @ifish feeding schedule.

3 Likes

2 weeks into flower.

13 Likes

One thing that could turn people away from the octo is size and look. Definitely would stick out on your patio…lol

Height could also hurt someone growing in a smaller tent.

3 Likes

Very true. With the Octo, soil level is around 20”.

3 Likes

Yeah height can be the issue.

2 Likes

Lovely vibrant colour @Joker , they very happy indeed , great work : )

3 Likes

DIY Octogrid

35 days of veg, first day of flip.

11 Likes

How many plants do you think can squeeze in an original? 3 small/medium plants? Im a small grower. (That’s what she said)

2 Likes

I would only do 2. You will most likely get more from them, than 3 in small pots. 7 gallons of soil for 2 plants should carry them through if kept smaller and amended right.

5 Likes

Is this an organics only thing or you ever think of running coco/perlite in a hempy bucket against these?

3 Likes

It is not necessarily a organic thing, although I am trying to keep the playing field as level as possible.

This is more of a learning other ways and trying to share knowledge with others. If a way of growing using something different can help a new or established grower, be better, than this is a successful thread.

So I will definitely put it on the list of things to try. Feel free to add about them here. It is about learning and helping others.

5 Likes

After looking into it a bit more hempy buckets, some run organics too. Here is a thread. I watched the video portion linked, and the recommendation was to use coco instead of peat other than that no difference.

In the vid they actually discuss how long between watering…not sure it is safe to go a week without watering as they say with coco in the media.

2 Likes

I’ve ran Hempys a bunch before and I had to water daily… I never tired it Organic though, always used MegaCrop…

the max days away from watering was 3 because I used Vermiculite mixed into it. With hempys you want to water as much as possible because that’s how the air reaches the roots. More air = more roots = more budz.

3 Likes

Well damn… Missed the free shipping sale on earthbox.com they were having…

1 Like