EarthBox vs. RainScience Bag

@Joker says the same thing. But, in the name of science…lol

2 Likes

@Tinytuttle I plan on doing it. I will put the Earthbox against an Octopot and document it here. The original box holds 7 gallons of soil and 2 gallons of water.

I think it would at least be closer than the Rainscience bag is right now.

I will get 2 more clones that are similar in size like this time to do the test with.

7 Likes

The biggest difference would be rez size. I would love to see that head to head Ron!!

3 Likes

Can’t do that, the reason is the soil at the bottom of the bag is saturated, and the soil up top is dry, this helps transpire oxygen to the roots, without air stones.

As a test last run, I dropped the sides by 6 inches, and the soil was sopping wet.

I have my sides rolled by 4 inches right now, and about a inch deep the soil is wet.

50/50
Coco-coir / Perlite

Make sure you do minimum of 40% perlite in your soil mix, because the soil needs to breathe, you cant just grab a bag of home depot special and throw it in it.

I don’t supplement the soil with nutes, only Mycorrhizae, and I feed with Jacks Nutes every watering.

Which lasts up to 9 days in veg or 4-5 days in flower between waterings

4 Likes

Sweet thanks for sharing the science behind it! Live this kinda of stuff that’s the same reason Iv done some home aid versions of wicking systems but with cords in instead of peat moss and the like and wicking felts in 10X20!trays

3 Likes

I don’t use a bag of HD soil. I make up my soil and amended it. Been using the same soil for a couple years now.

Mine will be in soil. I run a 70/30 in all my grows, or at least try to, so that is one difference.

2 Likes

The main selling point to the octopot was the “zero run to waste”.

You pour and go and fill it when it’s running out.

You can even gravity feed it with a 15-55 gallon barrel of premixxed nute solution.

This helps with the “I’m leaving for more than a week and want to keep everything topped off.”

Also sorry for taking over this post, if our octo-rep ever got off her a$$ and did her job, she could push out more info.

Calling you out again @OctoKaley.

5 Likes

Same thing with the Earthbox. Fill it and go. I add organic nutes in the water, top feed it twice. Once right before flower, then after about 5 weeks.

The large reservoir in the original holds enough to last a week or so in veg right now.

2 Likes

No worries about that. This is all about helping others find alternative ways to grow that may best suit their situation.

I like that you can gravity feed. Another friend bought some boxes and is setting up an auto watering system for hers on timers.

3 Likes

Some people here including myself have made a DIY octopot 1 gallon. I javnt tried growing in it yet but others have.

All from amazon.

Bag is 3 gal, rez is 1 gal. 10x10

6 Likes

Interesting. Someone is doing something similar on this thread using dollar store purchases. I love good hacks of system

4 Likes

Here is @firehead giving it a go

He’s using a 1 gallon bag

One of these days I’m going to take a clone and grow it out in the diy octopot

I think I spent 60$ for it all

2 wicking rez
4 3 gal fabric bags (I’m going to make my own with weed control fabric because these grow bags are thick af and can’t breathe well.)
And like 20 4 inch net cups

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I just measured my Octo’s. My sides are rolled 4” and my soil is an 1-1.5” from the top. I can stick my finger 3” down and it’s still pretty dry.

But I also am in a pro-mix/perlite mix and adding only 33% perlite. Also using Jack’s nutes based on Jetdro and @ifish feeding schedule.

3 Likes

2 weeks into flower.

13 Likes

One thing that could turn people away from the octo is size and look. Definitely would stick out on your patio…lol

Height could also hurt someone growing in a smaller tent.

3 Likes

Very true. With the Octo, soil level is around 20”.

3 Likes

Yeah height can be the issue.

2 Likes

Lovely vibrant colour @Joker , they very happy indeed , great work : )

3 Likes

DIY Octogrid

35 days of veg, first day of flip.

11 Likes

How many plants do you think can squeeze in an original? 3 small/medium plants? Im a small grower. (That’s what she said)

2 Likes