Education level

So after seeing there’s a post asking what you do for a living I didn’t think it would be out of line to ask peeps about there education . I myself quit school in 1974 after finishing grade 10 , pretty much . lol . I never liked school and managed to get through life without finishing high school . Not the best way to do things . I know there are some very educated people on this site and I respect that . When it comes to growing this may or may not matter . So if you feel like talking about education feel free . Just curious friends . Nothing more .

14 Likes

I dropped out at 17 got my GED at 30 because I was forced to, started college last year at 36 you live and you learn

18 Likes

I didn’t regret quitting school till I was in my early thirties . There was a lot of opportunity back in the day . Jobs were easy to come by . At least in Canada . Cant speak to other country’s .

7 Likes

I didn’t regret it until lying about it caught up to me years later and I was given 30 days to get it or lose my job of years

6 Likes

I think high schools should be swapped for trade schools

15 Likes

Oh shit ! : lying_face:

2 Likes

Not saying everyone is a plumber but everyone isn’t a psychiatrist either so many kids digging into a lifetime of debit to never make as much money as a plumber

7 Likes

Imagine kids at 18 able to earn a living…ain’t seen that in this country since maybe the 70-80s

I gotta cousin dumb as a box of rocks makes couple hundred thousand a year cutting down trees

16 Likes

There was a school geared towards trades in my area . But it was also a dumping ground for kids that were to much trouble etc. . Just going there labeled you . I have a lot of friends that went to that school . lol

6 Likes

We had an alternative high school at the bus garage lol no joke we also had a vocational program with the local community college where you went half a day there and half at a college I learned metal fabrication but was booted from the program I was for real a little asshole

3 Likes

Yeah I went to a community college for upgrading . My old mans Idea . Got stoned on the way there everyday . Hardly ever entered the building . I was stupid as fuck !

3 Likes

I have a B.A. in Political Science. In hindsight I would not have done it now. Especially since being laid off last week. :upside_down_face:

I intended on doing the whole law school thing but I decided not to so it really isn’t doing much for me unfortunately.

10 Likes

still 24 and every and each day learning something new and interesting… left school at 19 after GCE Advanced Level… now positively trying to make the world a better place with nature… :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Great thread and posts guys/girls…I too, dropped outa high school when I was 17 and had JUST started my senior year. I am son to 2 teachers as well, with my mom teaching English at the h.s. I dropped out of! I found myself feeling more and more alienated and not for any specific reason or bullying or any of the sort of stuff that unfortunately some kids go through. I just felt high school was a glorified babysitter. I didn’t see the REAL benefit of going to H.S. which to me is not just the fact that you completing helps self confidence and esteem but the sociological aspect of school and being a positive asset to a community is not something to overlook. I felt the pang of shame also in my 30’s, early 30’s and was able to get my GED at an Adult Education School while on probation. When I paroled in 2011, I attended a community college in my area and completed a couple courses but ended up dropping that. Still the specter of an education looms above me. I think the idea about trading HS for a trade school would be an AWESOME IDEA! Kids could gain a marketable skill that can get them a career for life if they follow through.

11 Likes

My dad got a Poli Sci BA as well. He ended up getting his Ed.D. and taught college level for 40 years…

8 Likes

Yeah those are really my two main options. Go to law school or teach.

I just had a change of heart. Lawyers work hard. Travel a lot in some fields, etc. I work in the legal field still and love it, but I would have gotten my real estate license straight out of high school if I could do it differently.

Edit: I just read your post above and I too grew up with an English teacher for a mother! She taught me so many valuable lessons relating to English and proper grammar. At the time it was pretty annoying, being corrected all of the time. But now I am really glad she taught me what she did.

5 Likes

I have a degree in a foreign language. I found a gig doing bilingual computer support which eventually led to a career in IT. I no longer use the language skills…

My parents were both professors, and so is my gf. My brother is an M.D. I’m often the only one in the room who can’t be addressed as “doctor” but it’s alright, cuz I got a degree:

10 Likes

BA - in forestry
AS-in natural resources environmental conservation
AS - watershed managment
Isa certified arborist
Several years doing botany for the usda
Really enjoyed my time in school but the related jobs are few and far between.

17 Likes

Oh man! Tell me about correcting my grammar, etc. To this day, I have problems correcting other people or just furthering the behavior of my mom! I’m glad I learned it now, that she did it all, but at the time I wasn’t too keen on it.

4 Likes

Those are some interesting subjects/fields!

3 Likes