Education level

BS in Plant and soil science w a specialization in Horticulture. I had done landscaping for 4 years in high school and felt this would give me knowledge on how to grow the dank and at the time was interested in starting an organic farm or landscape business. Started college thinking I’d be in microbiology, but I was a major slacker and didnt want to take on the math and advanced science courses required so switched my freshman year to PLSS bc the most advanced math was Algebra I and the extent of the science difficulty was organic chemistry. And the electives kicked ass- growing tree and small fruits, home gardening, landscape design, growing grapes and making wine, etc. I think I found the easiest degree possible at that school.

In hindsight, I’m still in a related field but a business minor or MBA wouldve really helped given how much my day to day now is dealt with the business side of the company I’m at. And no doubt legal too, but still super happy w where my degree has gotten me.

11 Likes

I know what you mean, after high school I hitched hiked to Alberta and worked 2 years in the oil patch in 75 and 76. Could you imagine that today?

Cheers
G

9 Likes

At least the last two years. There are things you do need to learn (if they would teach it) in the first two. Even if you are a plumber or mechanic, you still need to know how to balance a checkbook

OOOPS!!! for all the millenials out there, this was a book, made of paper, and on all of the sheets was printed all of your bank account information. If you wanted to buy something at a store (too difficult to explain) you took one of these “checks”, wrote the amount of the sale, signed it, and gave it to the clerk (person standing at the register (can’t think of any way to explain this one). You then left with your purchase and they would exchange this “check” at a bank (like the place you keep your bitcoins, only an actually building), and exchange it for cash (Forget it. Not even going to try)

Forget what I said. Our Computer Overlords have made the process of thinking irrelevant. There is no need for High School.

13 Likes

Could be worse… Could have a B.A. in Philosophy (yeah… not my greatest life decision)

12 Likes

This makes me feel good inside! :grin::grin::grin:

7 Likes

Which part my cousin? LMAO if so good it makes me feel good that life just worked out stellar for him worried about him alot as a kid

7 Likes

Yes. That someone can make a great living by working hard! Do it myself. But i aint making no $200000.

7 Likes

He just busts his ass fixes all his equipment himself buys his dump trucks at govt auctions just the most honest square never smoked a hit in his life guy you ever meet no drinking even but he’s out there dropping trees 5 or 6 days a week makes a better living than I ever did

7 Likes

Are Sure he’s stupid ? Sounds pretty smart to me . Maybe not a lot of fun though . lol

9 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!!![quote=“TheShowMeHomie, post:2, topic:29907”]
dropped out at 17 got my GED at 30 because I was forced to, started college last year at 36 you live and you learn
[/quote]

4 Likes

Haha I took a philosophy course and I really enjoyed it.

But I feel your pain for sure :persevere:

2 Likes

My stepson used have collection agency’s after him all the time . He worked with me for awhile . It used to me drive nuts . Peeps calling all the time . He is 35 now and is a manager at debt collection agency . Makes like 100 k a year . Hes a natural

7 Likes

Dropped out in grade 9. Son of a single mom who worked 3 jobs to make my life comfortable. This is why my punctuation is horrible…you…see…me…doing…these…3…dots…all, the time, because,I’m,unsure…if…I…should…use…a…comma…or a hyphen…or a semi-colon…or other.

17 Likes

Currently a Chemistry Ph.D. candidate. I have 2 undergraduate degrees, a BS in Chemistry and a BS in Biochemistry.

10 Likes

i graduated from the school of hard knocks

11 Likes

I don’t regret my Philosophy B.A. Not even a little bit.

8 Likes

I worked at a bowling alley as a teenager with a 26 year old with a philosophy degree from Brown lol was one of the coolest smartest guys I ever met in my life kind of honestly steered me away from formal education lol

In his words “I could have bought a house but I bought a thousand years of thoughts” wish I would have kept in contact with that guy

10 Likes

I have one too and don’t regret it either.

No more useless than an English degree and far more rewarding.

9 Likes

You know I find it interesting that so many people here are philosophers marijuana sure is good for introspective thinking

10 Likes

So… brother - lack of perfect punctuation doesn’t not preclude clear communications… Ok, that was lame - but it is early & I need caffeine.
:sleeping:
We have amazing resources at our fingertips, you do not have to go to university or collage for 4 years in order to have a thorough understanding of a particular subject of interest.

Cheers
G

6 Likes