Education level

in college I made an A in Calculus I, II and III. I have seldom lacked for confidence since.

6 Likes

Calculus never came easy for me, it always required significant work. Some folks take to it like ‘ducks to water’; their brains must be wired differently than mine.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

LOL no one said it was easy.

4 Likes

When I was 16 I got busted with a pound. Spent most of my time in jail or placement. I had three possesion charges in a single year lmao. I went before the school board to get back into high school. They said yes and I worked my ass off and graduated on time with my original peers. I would of graduated a year early if i wouldnt of fucked up.

15 Likes

i’m in the uk my education level is very low stopped learning by the time I was 11, I worked till I was 68 because i’m useless handling money, best day of my life has to be the day I left school when I was 15 never regretted 1 singe day because of my lack of education

12 Likes

B.S. in Biology with an emphasis on botany. 4 years as a research forestry technician for the U.S.F.S. then returned for an M.S. in Biology, emphasis on plant pathology: my thesis

I like going to school and occasionally think about going back for a Ph.D. But my degrees really haven’t led to increased financial security, per se. I do always pick fields that interest me, rather than those with good job prospects. If anything they were probably a negative ROI at this point (hopefully not in the long term).

The best classes I took in high school where skill/trade classes (electrical engineering and keyboarding are hands down the most helpful things from high school). I wish they had more of that, particularly a personal finance class.

15 Likes

I dropped out of college but got my degree from Saigon U.
It didn’t seem to make a diff on my job applications tho.

9 Likes

Welcome @hash74. I also suck at handling money. Nice thing about working is you can always get more. I got a ba in polysci. Learning is fun and you don’t need education to learn.

7 Likes

i have adhd/autism never found learning easy but I do like the ups and downs life presents, I struggled with growing cannabis but I do ok nowadays

7 Likes

I’ve also been diagnosed with adhd/add. I really like a show PBS did on the subject. I think it’s called ADHD and loving it. I didn’t understand how much it affected my life. Lol it explained al lot to me. I think it’s on utube too if your not in the states.

6 Likes

I also dropped out, at 16 or so, junior year. We had moved across the country and the new school was so far behind my old school that high school there was literally repeating everything I learned from 5th-8th grade. Had an AP English class junior year and a fellow classmate couldn’t pronounce ‘House’, like it was the first time seeing the word or something, ridiculous. Got my GED at 18 at the local community college and then went to a Tech/Trade school, New Horizons(don’t really recommend it, was scammed a bit) to get some IT certs. Namely A+, Network+, CCNA, MCSA, and Security+, and then sub-contracted myself out to some recruiters and did a bunch of odd IT jobs until I landed my current workplace.

9 Likes

I guess I’ll join you bums in admitting I dropped out in year 9 (uk) fuck if I know how old I was then, never had the money to work out if I have a disability but the chances are high that I have autism or adhd. I forgot a lot from those years of my life (like literal blank for three years) but I got a basic skills certificate in maths and English at GCSE level. I can do better now if I applied myself but my memory is shot maybe permanently so general knowledge is near to non existent for me hahahaha. I only know what I can apply with my hands so gardening and woodworking are right up my alley.

7 Likes

Took a couple college courses but didnt finish.
Never really found anything in life that made happy except fishing. And you kinda need money to even get started in that as far as doing it for a living.
Now a days there are highschool fishing teams and college scholarships.!!

Found a passion for growing cannabis and gardening/landscaping after highschool. Id landscape all day every day if it paid well enough.

Been in the same job now that pays me way too well and treats me good. Hahah no complaints but it makes it very difficult to want to quit and pursue other passions. Especially with a family at home relying on me to pay the bills.
Never really sure if Id change anything if I could go back. Im happy where im at.

Some buddies are continully doing schooling and climbing the cororate ladder, but fml they never have time to enjoy life.

One thing I will say, from my experience, if you dont have a shiny piece of paper saying you are educated, it can be difficult to gain the respect of others. Even if you are in fact more intelligent than jow blow w his degree

12 Likes

I ask… what you think about when you’re drunk… answer is usually nothing or can’t remember…
I ask what you think about when high…(stoned on weed etc) answer is normally this one… everything.

7 Likes

yea a high school diploma means very little these days i got a high school diploma tryed college it did not work got a job putting copper wire on the inside of electric motors make big money

2 Likes

I have my b.s. in mechanical engineering. I draw very detailed , precises drawing . The computer spits out a set of code and , I or another cnc machinist makes that program.
I honestly learned more on the job rather than in the school setting not to say it was totally worthless. It was some of the best times I had in my life too. I was still young and care free.
I found it to be very fascinating when I was younger . I thought and still think its one of the coolest things in the world . I have a small machine shop at home and still use it to make off parts for some of my street strip car / trucks.
Work not so much I just pump out ceramic parts all day long.

6 Likes

Exactly!
In my mind, school teaches ‘you how to learn’ what they teach you will be out of date in a few years (at best), it is always up to you to stay current.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I agree , school is still very important imo.

1 Like

I was addicted to gambling by the time I left school and lost every penny I earned for 20 years, ever since I have no respect for money but have never been without essentials since I quit gambling, just cant control giving all my spare money away

4 Likes

You are generous to a fault.
The old expression was ‘you would give them the shirt off your back’.
Not much of that any more.
Amazing job breaking the gambling habit, that’s supposed to be harder than booze and butts. Congratulations.

Cheers
G

5 Likes