ELG's Strawberry Banana Seed Run Attempt

Finally some good news. Both old clones have officially rooted!

It’s pretty funny how the roots are growing up. Maybe because of the bags I leave on them. I don’t want to stress the clones so I’m just leaving the bag on them almost all the time and also that way the fan doesn’t blow the pollen away once it drops.

We can’t see super well but there a few ball sacks and some female parts not fully converted? We’ll see…

Everything is going as planned for now. I’ll have to be very careful at collecting as much pollen I can. Oh and I also cheated I sprayed them for 2 more days since I already had the CS ready. Now I completely stopped, I don’t want to risk the water destroying all my work.

Now for the star of the show!

9 Likes

Made pollen catchers with parchment paper.

10 Likes

I transplanted the reversed clones, they were full of balls and had nice roots.

I also transplanted the 2 other “insurance clones”, they had small roots. They will most likely be pollinated, but I’m not sure if the seeds will have enough time to mature, we’ll see I most likely will reveg them.

I see some new pistils on the reversed clones, it most likely will pollinate itself too.

Went to see the plant this morning, it started producing trichomes and is all shiny. I also defoliated the inside of the plant a little bit. I saw the wind blow on the plant and was happy to see that it’s pretty solid but I’ll still go and tie the branches together or something so nothing breaks, when I get a chance.

The vegetation/weeds at the guerrilla spot started to die, its getting harder to visit the plant and not expose the spot. There’s a path like 20 meters from the spot people use as a shortcut during autumn and fall, it got impractical around june-july when the weeds got crazy but now that they started to die people are using it again…

Here is the mama enjoying its life :heart_eyes: she has 4-5 weeks left

The weather has been really nice and the spot is really the MVP, full sun facing south with enough room for aeration while still being almost completely out of sight.

We were supposed to get garbage weather in southern quebec but now it’s all sun and just enough rain. Temperature is supposed to drop to around 15-18°C in the next 2 weeks.

10 Likes

The reversed clones are finally giving me something, they started stretching and revealing more male flowers. They also have some female parts on lower nodes. An interesting thing I noticed is that they produce 7 finger leafs indoors but only 5 outdoors, the new growth of the clones i brought indoors also have 7 fingers.

11 Likes

Damn, you’ve had a hell of a time with this project! I hope you get your beans at the end of this story

4 Likes

The mother outside got chopped. Noticed some PM and it was going to rain all week. So yeah…

The clones are good. First male flower opened on one of the clones and died the next day.

The second flower opened but didn’t drop anything yet. I pinched a banana off and scrapped it like you would a vanilla bean and got some pollen that applied on some female flowers from the non reversed clones. I will be collecting each male flower individually as it blooms.

Check out the new thread, after I am done with the strawberry banana it will become my main thread. I’m documenting some autos and the new strain hunters episode “the Quebec Landrace” :joy:

5 Likes

Nothing much happening. I’m just picking the pollen pods as the flowers bloom and tapping them on a plate gently. After, I put everything in an envelope and in a big ziplock bag with a hygrometer and an oversized desiccant pouch.

10 Likes

Remember the cutting I put in the shot glass?
Well here it is flowering (:

7 Likes

what do you use for your “roots” ?

3 Likes

Nothing much really. I recently started using promix stim-root powder hormones(pretty sure there are better rooting products, but that was the most accessible to me) and the soil mix I’m using guarantees 1 mycorrhizae spore per gram. Hope this helps!

Edit: not sure if I replied to you or just replied so I’ll tag you @hawkman

4 Likes

Here’s the harvest.

I mean if it would have finished I’m sure it would have been some fire but yeah…

The seeded clones.

One of them should have some Pancakez hybrid forming. I hope I’ll be able to differentiate them. I’ll also try to reveg one so i get a taste of the finished bud.

14 Likes

look at this product - it’s a inoculate you mix it in the soil (pro mix has one also) and I will tell you that my yields increased bigger buds ----- Dynomyco.com - beileve there is only two dry incoluants - ProMix is the other as mentioned

2 Likes

The promix rooting hormone I only use it to make clones root faster. For the mycorrhizae, I think there is enough spores in my soil mix to propagate the roots. I chose this mix so i wouldn’t have to add additional mycorrhizae

1 Like

I removed the reversed plants from the tent like a week or 2 ago, I forgot. They sat with no air movement under natural window light and some white fuzz started growing from the pollen pods. So I chopped them down and went for a seed hunt. Here are the seeds collected from the selfed plants, they look pretty rough:

As the others seeded clones continue, they started smelling really good. It smells so sweet, just like bubblegum or cotton candy, that crazy deep candy smell.

9 Likes

Good stuff @ELG, how are the clones looking? I hope they give you some quality feminized beans!! :grin:

4 Likes

Just read through this lots of good info in here. Great job. Plants stayed happy, successful cloning, colloidal silver and seed making. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

They are okay, but they were kind of meh this week, maybe they were hungry, I gave them a bit of fertilizer. For some reason i didnt take note of the days they got hit with pollen… So i’m looking at the trichomes color to guess their age. Overall they haven’t changed much, they maybe got a little thicker, but they for sure are getting frostier. Some bracts have like a slit and I can somewhat see the seed forming.

I’m glad you enjoyed the thread @Brokehoe :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

thanks ! this round used Fox farms Ocean Blend /Happy Frog and Dynomyco (an innoculant) Promix has an innocluant also + one other one is “Extreme Gardening.com

1 Like

Finally got a hint of banana from the buds or is it placebo? I can see the seeds getting darker, took one from the smallest clone to check it.

Getting there, the chop is soon.

1 Like

I’ve harvested the ugliest clone, I’ll call it SBC1 (strawberry banana clone 1) and it’s drying. I’ll be keeping the seeds separated in case there is any variances. Left 2 nods for a reveg attempt.

4 Likes