Environment here changed

Greeting OG,

Another new guy here. I may have joined yesterday… but I wasn’t born yesterday.

Short story…
About 45 years ago I started attending the annual family reunion. I was 5. I couldn’t wait to get MawMaws sugar pie! Best ever pie! The young kids would eat all the sugar pie. Some Elders couldn’t care less about that sugar pie. Some came just for the chance at pie. Others came to discuss family history. Some came to have a drink and talk to loved ones they never get to see throughout the year. I always wondered what went on in the big hall. Well fast forward 45yrs… I now sit at the round table. Guess what we discuss. We talk about these young kids that eat all the sugar pie. We talk about how things used to be. We retell stories that have been told for generation so the next generation knows who they are and where they come from. I am proud to sit at that table. I make my own sugar pie now days. But I am grateful that MawMaw shared with us how to make sugar pie without withholding that key ingredient so ours wouldn’t be as good as hers!

So in closing… We need new members. We need Elders. I appreciate the Love, Sharing and community found here. Much respect to all who precedes me and to those yet to find this OG home.

19 Likes

This def sounds like an issue that needs addressing. Begging of seeds needs to stop.

6 Likes

That’s precisely my thoughts… The generousity here is awesome, the ability to find quality beans is priceless. But there will always be those who choose to participate and become part of the community, even if its as simple as liking posts and simple comments / compliments. And there are those that just want free stuff, and disappear as soon as they get it. I could do without those people. Those who generously offer seeds, advice, or words of encouragement I’d rather keep around. Sadly some of the wrong people are taking offence here :frowning: They are some of the more generous ones and they shouldn’t be offended…

8 Likes

In all honesty, alot of this discussion coming right after the bbq has me feeling like some of the older members really didn’t like that, especially when I expressed that it will bring new traffic, but that it wasn’t for generation of funds, server or otherwise. If I angered anyone I’m sorry, I just want to see a wonderful place like this thrive and grow. Bringing new people will replace the ones who have retired, and keep the ad revenue up via more traffic, which will keep of open regardless of server raffles and auctions.

Not directed at you @Chronickyle, but other members.

10 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned yesterday that exchange I had with somebody on another thread a while back. Asking me for seeds out of the blue and me saying I didn’t feel comfortable sending seeds to someone who I’ve never seen around before and him throwing a hissy fit. I haven’t seen him post on here since then. I mean, I’m not really looking for him, either, but still….

SHUN THEM haha. WE SHOULD ALL SHUN THEM hahaha!!!

4 Likes

No, it has nothing to do with the free seeds being given out IMO. I give out seeds weekly on my own thread. It allows me to give seeds away while generating traffic and conversations to my thread.

Really this is being brought up because of the GG#4 RIL group buy that went south. The thing of concern here is the feds deciding that they want their “fair share” of taxes from these proceeds. This could bring unwanted attention to the site. Remember Al Capone got busted for tax evasion, not being a mob boss. Also remember the original OG went down because of seed sales.

I will say it again, all monetary transactions should be done in private unless you are a paid sponsor of the site. You want to shill seeds online, do it on IG and see how long your account lasts.

Ive been here for a long time and don’t plan on going anytime soon. People come and go and the dynamic changes. There are still a ton of great threads on this site. If you make a topic in grow diaries, I’m likely lurking in the shadows.

51 Likes

I felt the same way, I mean I participated in it, but I viewed it as good ol fun, I didn’t win anything but I threw a few dibs out there. When this thread started, the first thing I thought of was you stirring something up with that BBQ and beans thread, that offended a bunch of people, even though it was fun as hell.

It’s a shame that someone offered some of their collection to the rest of the world and people lost their minds because of it.

(you could tell when someone was pissed, when they couldn’t get dibs fast enough, and would “slam the door on their way out”.)

6 Likes

Those are very wise words. I think you make a very valid point and I agree. Once money is involved the government always wants their piece of the pie. That is attention nobody wants.

I also think you will notice some have issues surrounding seeds being given out to certain folk and with the amount of chat that ends up in the seeds thread due to that. I am hoping some tweaks to the way this was being done will appease those folks. Should really be room for all to be happy here. I too am hoping not to be going anytime soon. Than again as some have pointed out, I am just a new guy around here although a large number of folk have made me feel like family.

13 Likes

I like the latest post in the free seeds. Lol answering a 5 day old post correction 7 days

1 Like

Yah just went to look… Lol… Wow.

10 Likes

Yeah, now that I have issues with just simply because it’s bad manners. Not so much as a hello, nice to meet you, nothing. Makes if feel like you are dealing with a panhandler. When the first thing you type on this site is Dibs there is a real issue IMO.

16 Likes

How much you wanna bet it’s not old weedsicles first account?

12 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out. Even though I have read and almost now reread this entire thread I have to admit I am a little at loss about what the actual issue is .
I am quite ok with the policy being unless it is a charity auction fundraiser for the site itself , no sales.
OG , Overgrowing the Greedy , to help the needy , one seed at a time lol

7 Likes

I guess I showed my ass over there. And got a spanking for it.

3 Likes

Sorry, I won’t take that bet.

6 Likes

But Doug I am looking for some great American strains, could you help me? Only have European ones!

Those who know know.

10 Likes

You giving me clues, man, going to drive me berserk trying to figure this out :thinking:

LOL, yeah, they were worried about your manners commenting to someone with no manners :rofl:

7 Likes

Don’t worry guys, soon I’ll have a few hundred, hopefully a few thousand not so great Auto blue berry seeds to hold the Dibb and Dashers at bay with.

Just kidding… I know not to feed the trolls.

6 Likes

So is that the tactic? Throw the strays some bones and hope it distracts them from the table?

4 Likes

I’m getting the feeling and happy to see that we are all coming around and begging to get on the same page.

8 Likes