Environment here changed

If they are soliciting donations than yes. It’s my business if they want my money.

3 Likes

Lol calling me a clown?

Than don’t donate or do anything that involves donation to the forum.

1 Like

Your a quick one aren’t ya.

1 Like

What’s got you so bent out of shape?

1 Like

Grohio, do you miss the Shark Tank?

1 Like

Oh that’s right. We didn’t have the forever ignore back when I ignored your annoying ass last time. Lol

1 Like

emot-munch

4 Likes

Alright than, I don’t even know you other than this convo we are having now.

Your comments in the thread are enough to know I’m glad I don’t interact with you.

That’s not my field. I can cook some amazing food. If I had spent the last 25 year’s in IT though…

fixed your typo. Don’t want anyone to say I’m misquoting you.

Yep, covered that already.

Now if it’s for a good cause, hell yeah I’ll participate. But to act like this website, out of literally millions of businesses in the world is uniquely ok to act as a non profit and as a business, but doesn’t have to hold itself to the legal standards of a nonprofit with disclosures to the donaters or conversely if it’s a business that it’s not beholden to it’s investors, well that’s bullshit and you know it.

1 Like

I’m like that cowboy that always sit with his back on the wall and watching the saloon’s entrance … frech|nullxnull

5 Likes

Well, nice not knowing you, have a great day!

1 Like

Now you know him! :grin:

1 Like

I know nothing about him/her, and quite frankly, don’t care now either.

Respect in the opinions of those with opposing views is the cornerstone of a good community.

7 Likes

Agree, no hammers involved … frech|nullxnull

Edit: Hammer time …

Captura

That may have been true before, but now he’s getting regular 4 figure cuts of the auctions being run. If everyone knew that, do you think some donations would dry up? I have a feeling people pay 5 or 10 a month thinking that OG is run on a razors margin, while forgetting that he is making money is advertising. Plus, OG is collecting donations. Are taxes being paid on them? Or is it just going into the back of the books? Obviously OG has to pay taxes on profits from advertising, etc. Or is the custom title the way around it being a donation? Since your getting something for donating. All these people earlier in the thread were saying that $$$ changing hands being the downfall of OG might be right…

3 Likes

The xenforo license that is the forum software, is $165 up front. $300 to remove the XF branding. $55 per year every year after that, plus any mod subscriptions(these can rack up). Then since the server is owned and not hosted somewhere else, paying for power and internet connection. Oh, and the yearly domain name cost, could be $1, could be $5k.

1 Like

I hate to say it, but thats the good and the bad of the internet right there. Someone searched and found an answer. But that answer is anything but on the mark. But because they searched for it, they give validity to it. I read all three of those links and chuckled. I know this is still a “small” forum by internet standards, and I have my own sites on shared hosting. I know what I pay. I know the going “advertised” rates. But then you get hit for bandwidth, you get hit for your databases size, or how many DB’s you have. There’s all kinds of unseen costs, and those three links I would equate to asking a 14 yr old how to setup a minecraft server, not a forum like this. No offense intended, but the numbers in those links really aren’t realistic… They really aren’t…

And for the people who think its a piece of cake setting up and running their own webserver. Sure… The basics are easy. But you put up the basics on the internet, and you will be hacked in no time. Knowing how to actually RUN a server, patch software, block ports, avoid DDOS attacks, etc is not something most people know.

In the end, its not my circus, and not my monkeys. I appreciate having a free forum full of knowledge. If someone makes a few bucks because I am a member here, good on them, because I’m gaining knowledge here as well, and there’s value in that too…

12 Likes

Out of likes but I thought you made a great post @Nagel420 .

2 Likes