Extra week of flower for more mature seeds?

Wondering if I should let my seeded plants go for another week to ensure seed maturity. Please give me your thoughts or practices on this topic for all you seed makers.

Thanks in advance,
Pawsfodocaws

7 Likes

How long have the seeds been growing since you dusted the buds? Usually takes 3 to 4 weeks on average… Personally, when they start to fall out on there own and have nice dark coloring, that’s when I harvest any seeds.

7 Likes

I always give priority to the seeds. More time on the plant will NEVER hurt seeds, unless you go so long outdoors in a humid/rainy environment that they start to sprout in the buds. This will never be a problem indoors.

When I make seeds, if it’s whole seeded plants, I let them go as long as my space/schedule allows, literally until senescence and the plant starts dying, when possible. Longer is always better. Always. There’s no downside to it. If I’m doing just individual seeded buds, I’ll leave them on the plant after harvesting everything else and let them reach natural senescence.

17 Likes

All five plants were dusted as they matured with the male in the room open pollination with one male basically. They have two weeks left technically, but now that I have read what @nube said I will let senescence set in. Sounds like the right way to do it, as well as when they are literally just falling off. Thanks for the input guys!

6 Likes

I’ll concur you let them go as long as possible, saying that pluck a couple lower seeds to see there ripeness if they are dark and molted and no green color at the tip of the seed or very little your good to go.

7 Likes

Yeah let them go as long as you can, to have a higher % of fully ripe seeds.

3 Likes

If you do any other gardening, You’ll find that almost everything is left to “over ripen” compared to when you’d harvest for consumption.

2 Likes

I let them go at least 6 weeks - minimum
counting from when the male starts dropping pollen

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.