Sativa Seed Maturity

Greetings friends!

Let’s say I have this hypothetical situation where I have two wicked long running big stretching female sativas and I want to hit them with some pollen.

Note I also hypothetically don’t have the time to give them the 15 weeks they need so they would be purely seed vessels.

Am I still looking at 4-5 week seed maturity like I’m accustomed too or will they take a freaky long time to mature to the point where I run out of time?

Thoughts and jibes welcome.

11 Likes

Still 4-5 weeks. If it’s really heavily seeded, go 6 to see fewer “stragglers.”

4 Likes

@Foreigner Theoretically, if you reduce the light schedule to 10/14, the flowers will finish in 12 weeks. I’m currently trying this with my Mulanje and Oaxaca. I hit them both with BangiHaze pollen. :grinning:

6 Likes

I have noticed that typically sativa plants have smaller than average, dark, round seeds. Potentially the smaller size allows them to ripen a little bit faster than a larger seeded variety.

On the other hand, the Sativa leaning Blueberry Autos I ran last summer had giant coconut seeds. Like GIANT! So who knows.

Regardless, there is no way the seeds will take 12+ weeks to ripen, like the buds do.

:robot:

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

If everything goes right (which it won’t) I’ll be pollinating things with very different height/time requirements so I need to figure out the best balancing act.

If they’ll be the usual 4-5 weeks that’s music to my ears

Hypothetically

5 Likes

Back when Neville first germed Santa Cruz haze seeds, whence his 2 famous males originated, there was also a female. A female that flowered for 9 months. I remember Neville saying “I made 3 batches of seeds during that time, but never took a cut”

5 Likes

Lets get ‘The Pro from Dover’ in on this…

@Upstate, hey bro, what’s your opinion on this question?

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Was that the New Years Haze?

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, never saw Nev refer to it as that. His haze supposedly came from old stock provided by an old timer…

Skunkman says its impossible, had to come from him. But he never sold old stock to Nev. Can’t be haze then yadi Yada. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Right on. I remember reading about a haze variety that took until New Year’s to flower.

I’m supposed to have the full article somewhere. :thinking:

Found it.

6 Likes

The Haze parental stock Nev used for his early work and famous hybrids(NL5Hz, SSH, Jack, etc) are all derived from SamS’s, either from old seed stock Sam provided him with (Nev’s version of the story) or from SamS own repros already made in the Netherlands that he gifted him and several others.

This is already well documented info, with posts from both Sam and Neville confirming the bulk of the story.

Old Timer’s Haze (OTHz) comes from a gentleman in the UK, according to his own reports and from others who carried his line (ACE/CBG) it comes from Sacramento growers and it predates the event of SamS bringing his Haze Bro’s Haze to Holland. It’s then supposedly a different Haze population. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you’re looking forward to produce a small number of seeds and time being a limiting factor, I would flower those and pollinate them as soon as the first inflorescences start to form (after the preflower stage, which should be around week 3-4). Giving them at least 6-8 weeks to reach proper seed development. This should give you still a nice seed yield even with small plants, the quality of the seeds should be great and storage grade.

Ideally, allowing them to first stack some flower sets before going for the first pollination, and doing at least three sessions of pollination would allow for a much better yield.
This is what’s been working the best for me.

Have fun!
tZ

5 Likes

I will take 10 of each of those please.

4 Likes

I found that the seeded sativas finish sooner, by two to three weeks, then the unseeded estimated finish time.

5 Likes

I believe the normal flower time, minus 13-21 days and that’s how long until perfectly ripe seeds. Of course heavily pollinated plants take longer to do the work of growing the seeds. I’m basing this on experience. But to shorten the curve you can put them in veg after a week as the plant knows it pregnant and won’t reveg but instead puts more energy into making seeds. This can shorten the cure by up to a week.

I didn’t know that. But I’ve noticed plants with longer flower times take longer to make ripe seeds.

2 Likes

I recently ran two different sativas and both finished sooner.

3 Likes

Ive done multiple batches of seed off one long flowering plant myself. Managed 3

2 Likes

As soon as the pistil takes in the pollen, it will start to form the seeds. If it starts making the seed in September-October, then you can get a viable seed as early as November. For example: I grew some Zamal last year, and while the overall flowering time was still finishing up at the end of December, it was pushing seeds out by mid-November on the sights I pollinated early.

1 Like