Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

Love the whitees! .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Fem Seeds? Love ā€˜em! Sometimes I want a tent full of females from jump.

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

It does make for an easier grow experience sometimesā€¦ plant 6 seeds, get 6 femalesā€¦ mostly better than plant 12 plants get 4 femalesā€¦ takes the guessing out of the game and makes things better for those that canā€™t seem to pop a female

4 Likes

Yes @toastyjakes. That seems to be me lately. 4 plants, 3 males. Again and again. Seems to be a Shitkicker trend these days!

1 Like

I wonā€™t buy feminized seeds. The problem is, you, in supporting this, end any future breeding for any other generation. All gone boys. All gone. Why? Oh, we bought feminized seeds so we wouldnā€™t have males.

Would anyone be upset with neutering all human males? Same reason.

Oh, except to put $$$$ in little Arjanā€™s pocket.

3 Likes

Uh oh!!!

Someoneā€™s guitar struck a sour note in a trolls earsā€¦

Hahaā€¦ill keep being the problem thenā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™ve only recently run any fems what so ever, tho Iā€™ve only grown fems from Ethos. Honestly I havenā€™t had a single one of them show any intersex traits. My photo plants are a different story. TGA-intersex, rare dank-intersex, I even got my blue kush from BOG to self seed about a dozen seeds by running it two weeks long

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never had herm problems with any feminized seeds, but I do feel they are less vigorous and smaller yielding than regulars. The convenience could easily make up for smaller yield thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Not ALL of them.
Iā€™m growing my medicine, not nation building. One Loveā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never had herm problems with any feminized seeds

Limited experience here, but I did have a lot of hermies with the blueberry from Dutch Passion. Made some good relaxing smoke, but all of 3 them ā€œhermiedā€ from early to mid-flower. I thought it might have been a leak or something else, but I ran some Greenhouse femā€™d plants along with it, and not a problem there.

Iā€™m thinking of just running all I have in one run just to get them out of my stockpile. I will always prefer the excitement of the gender-reveal of regular seeds, even if Iā€™ve not so far showed any interest in fathers.

Anyone have any comments on difficulty cloning femā€™d plants? Generally speaking I think of them as ā€œone and doneā€ so I havenā€™t tried too hard to keep anything. But what about you all?
How about seeding a femā€™d plant with a regular male or males?

Cheers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

iā€™ve been waiting forever for plants to show sex so i know whether to pot em in 5 gals ā€¦ i think i prefer fems unless iā€™m looking for studs or something ā€¦ have never had any issues with fems before

2 Likes

I am leaning towards Fem seeds. I agree with planting 10 seeds and I only get 2 girls (if Iā€™m lucky). I am disabled and am on a tight fixed income and am now thinking that getting Fem seeds will be better for my situation. Since I am on a fixed income I can not take the chance to order beans (that are all over priced) and pay a lot of money to only enjoy one or two girls. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been using fem seeds past few grows. Havenā€™t had any problems with the few clones Iā€™ve taken.

3 Likes

Iā€™m currently attempting to force a gorilla glue fem to grow balls using colloidal silver. I plan on collecting the pollen and pollinating a sunshine daydream reg with it creating gg x ssdd feminised seeds. Iā€™ll be documenting my progress with the ā€œexperimentā€ on my journal page :+1:

10 Likes

This is the only issue you have w fems? Do you grow out all males, collect pollen then pollenate your garden? If not, donā€™t really see your moral high ground. Shit, who am I trying to fool? Even IF you do, yeah still donā€™t see your moral high ground. Just to add to it, not really sure where anybody asked you to worry about either how they spend their money NOR you to worry about Arjenā€™s bank account

3 Likes

Ya I donā€™t think the lack of males is an issue for ~99.9999% of growers. In fact, the lack of males seems to be the whole point?

I think fems are great and run them myself, but I would use regs if I was searching for a keeper mom. Or a male lolā€¦

2 Likes

That site is downā€¦i tried no workie

That would explain this:

Well, that and sunburn.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve missed this quote on the flow, canā€™t resist to comment. I prevent those who donā€™t know this breeder, this guy have the culture and the required level to understand and expose near all levels of advanced concepts of breeding with cannabis. Iā€™m not a fan, but itā€™s important to known to consider his quote and to understand my critic.

Quality is a question of semantic then. This way, he fall himself in the ā€œrodelizationā€ strategy heā€™s joking about.

Quick reminder :

dioecy : pistils or staminate, and itā€™s not risky to say than the best part of what we are smoking come from these specimens. And for a very stupid reason : cannabis is haploid. To stay simple, each side share the half of its genetic potential, which permit the required freedom and a margin of action (of segregation to be accurate) to virtually improve a genotype without outcrosses during multiples humanā€™s lifespan.

monoecy : Letā€™s call it an herm, because itā€™s what the majority of growers are seeing and considering. They are not supposed to have superpowers making them able to scan with magic eyes the DNA of the plants. Then to classify the herms in their respective categories. Monoecy in hemp is something mastered, documented as fuck and used in industrial scales and with industrial constraints. To stay the shorter possible again, a monoecious strain naturally tend to a neutralizing genetic ā€œplateauā€ than is lifting all averages. This sexual aspect tend to act like a mutation in term of genetic, making dominant everything helping this expression. Working on phenotypes (as individuals) is a waste of time to improve the fiber or the oil, itā€™s more like a big living stock than your drive like a herdsman. Due to the industrial scale generally involved, the accuracy is mostly concentrated on the final product and most of investigation and experiments are done by epigenetics leverages (nutes regime, soil preparation, temps etcā€¦). Itā€™s just another world than have nothing to do with our profiles of ā€œwine amateursā€ of cannabis, requiring an insane accuracy (in comparison).

gynomonoecy : just decompose. Gyno (female organ in sexuality), monoecy ā€¦ i just explain it.
andromonoecy : again. Andro (male organ in sexuality), monoecy ā€¦

Now it become a bit weird and also rare.

gynodioecy : Gyno again (mean female but this time, think about the hormons in bonus itā€™s more easy to catch the idea) + dioecy ā€¦ what the fuck itā€™s an herm right ?! Yes but with a true sexual prevalence on female. Technically iā€™m supposed to classify the ā€œgynoeciousā€ there but i canā€™t. And the reason will make you smile a bit later.
androdioecy : same principle, an herm with sexual prevalence on male.

Also trioecy, just for the pleasure to quote one funky word than have nothing to do with our cannabis.

Itā€™s when it become a bit vicious, in bold a precious sentence to keep in mind. Thatā€™s true and itā€™s smart to dilute it in plain explanation at this point.

But not in an absolute way. You can have the better technique of the world (letā€™s say an advanced BX program than is failing less than 25% of the time), if you use this superb technique when another one is required ā€¦ you can expect a shitty outcome. Just like the plants, you have to adapt to the context.

To operate a BX with the (real) Cheese (rockstable sexuality) is a breeze, to do it with a GG#4 (triggered latent herm) is just a nightmare.

I will recycle this good sentence to something than iā€™m considering more in osmosis with the constraints :

The goodness of the seeds are a delta between :

1. the background on the lines, basically if the breeder known his material or not. Donā€™t dream on the rhythm of modern catalogs, it take years. You canā€™t be faster than the light itself ^^ Itā€™s why i always trust more the specialized breeders.

2. The method used specifically for this release. Which is a group of techniques than you choose for the case, not a magic mono-task than you repeat for everything. Life is chaos and each selection bring its unique compromises, you canā€™t talk with the genotype when you have only one word in head.

3. The cannabinoids receptors of the breeder himself, if the breeder smoke often what he sell. Look stupid but itā€™s not always the case ā€¦

The quote was all about the stable/unstable state of the release, and the eventual critic on it.

Many are forgetting than they are selling a specific genotype, so a definition of the phenotypes the customers will get. No matter the strategy of communication, itā€™s important to be clear with people on it at least with prices.

Unstable ? Enjoy your pheno hunt, i will not charge you 10ā‚¬ per seeds for that because you will do half of my job.
Rock stable and reliable at industrial scales ? Donā€™t expect casual prices, it become an investment. Not seeds to smoke. For real, donā€™t expect to find it in the public market. This time is over for good.

The future health of the population is directly dependent on the genetic diversity contained therein.

Again itā€™s a nice sentence but most of growers will read it like that : diversity mean no homogeneity, so ā€œunstableā€ is healthy. Healthy is reliable quality, so IBLs are sub products because there is no diversity. I make it fast but thatā€™s the idea, and after that you read a fews subjects on open pollination than are totally out of sight. Making random freebies for a wholesaler become the magic spell to ā€œpreserve diversity and qualityā€. Tada. Taste my kung fu.

You can add a layer with the actual ā€œwake upā€ on narrowed ā€œtop of the shelvesā€ strains. Again, itā€™s not wrong at all but it have to be considered both with the momentum (when the whole catalog of hybrids available was able to be counted in only twos hands) and also the production involved. And there is many cases where this legit consideration can turn sick to consider :

• You have dozens of acre of cannabis and rely only on one phenotypes than youā€™re cloning like crazy. The problematic is not the genetic, the problematic is the very risky strategy.
  • Same ground, but with one entire line. It become more interresting, youā€™re acclimatizing the strain to your needs and the danger of the first scenario become an advantage with the potential to increase your performances each season. It stay dangerous, even if you can always count on recessive phenos on large scales. If the whole line is sensitive to a local pest, itā€™s again a problem of strategy and bad poker move. Not genetic. You take the risk to introduce a line than is not yet compatible with your ground. Like sowing a tall and long tropical in alaska lol In term of acclimatization near everything is possible with cannabis, itā€™s a good beast, but it ask time to acclimatize.

Itā€™s called anthropomorphism, speaking about an annual plant like you was speaking about humans. The lifespan is a bit different, then the constraints of DNA and its dynamics. Without forgetting than mixing twos different reigns to explain the diversity is a bit dangerous; if you compare a vegetal specie and the human specie there is a bug when you consider the dynamism of the occurences.

I did an interview with Dolce Vita a couple of years back (an Italian cannabis mag) and one of the questions was about ā€˜feminized seeds and whether feminized seeds would ruin the global cannabis genepoolā€™ā€¦ my reply was that I was far more concerned with the technique of 1:1 matings, genetic bottle necks and founder events than the creation of feminized seeds per se. Why? Because 1:1 matings significantly reduces the genetic diversity wihin any given line.

I find this one dishonest to the bone (considering the man and its knowledge) and very vicious for those learning breeding from scratch. Male/Female reproduction become suddenly a bad practice and generate gens suppressions ā€¦ like feminized seeds.

The evolution of regs since the begin have a story than is a bit more classy than the fems-burgers which lead no where else than the ā€œflavor of the monthā€ done industrially.

Iā€™ve nothing against open pollination with reversed pollen, why not if there is customers for that, but to present that like a joker for the diversity destructed by traditionnal regs is pretty pushy for my taste. One more time you have to consider than cannabis is haploid, and what it mean when you force female to produce pollen on another female. Yes, feminized seeds mostly. But in erasing the male heritage from the line youā€™re not preserving diversity at all, no matter if you have acres of females or just four in a closet.

And yes, Dutch Passion have launched a dynamic on market with fems than have produced a big impact. Ruining a genpool ? not directly. Ruining the market renewal and drying the offer on high grade options : absolutely. So the supposed diversity again than is tending to the hard discount style. The market is saturated with all kind of hybrid, even hemp ā€¦ rewind and remember than in 90ā€™s the diversity was REALLY narrowed around a low number of P1. And still the period the most hunted for genetics (seeds or cuts), how strange it isā€¦

The problematic is the general freewheel on all individual genpool management which tend to have only one mission : following strictly and literally the wind of customers. Itā€™s not compatible with long cycles creativity and the use of the powerfull genetic elasticity of cannabis.

I think also than big changes will occur in the clone industry, reformatting the seeds madness to a new paradigm.

The pivot point of these twos strategies, which are not differents at the scale of local genpool, is the pollen artificially obtained with specimens supposed to be unselected for a reg project.

I hate this hyprocrisy hided behind tons of layers and details presented like a new scientific paradigm, to produce fems you have to use solid latent herms than you trigger fully chemically. You can do it heavenly or badly, the genetic matter will not change. And using STS to find specimens than canā€™t be reversed is not leading nowhere also.

edit : i forgot the gynoecious thing wich is not ā€œfeminizedā€. Heā€™s right on it, ā€œfeminizedā€ mean nothing for real. But itā€™s different ^^ To let a path to follow on the term : from here you can digg in ease.

Cucumbers : Bees required for pollination. Many new hybrids are gynoecious (female flowering). Monoecious varieties have M/F flowers. For greenhouse use parthenocarpic type.

4 Likes

I know I read about a grower from england saying how hard it was to get seeds.That they were picked out of the weed and hash was more prevalent. With the big companies getting into this we need to make sure this does not happen everywhere. Or soon we might be able to buy only feminized seed. Then when the seed out there is all but gone they can switch to doing all the growing. Already they have been producing THC with yeast and removing all the individuality from it. . Removing the excitement of harvesting and curing to get that first taste. I hate using the feminized seeds but with a four plant limit here in oregon I do it. Everybody is growing seedless and doing cuttings. We used to have coffee cans full of mexican and commercial and now just a few choice strains of hybredā€™s. Where have the coffee cans gone?

1 Like