First grow diary

So I have a few first week pics. Happy with the progress. Slowly taking and looking good. Had to trim some dead ends and suckers but showing signs of life and growth.

5 Likes

They certainly look to have perked up from lat pics. Should find their groove pretty soon in those boxes. Best of luck!

1 Like

Ok so first month down. Going to start training today and picking clone spots possibly. Wanting to keep focused since first grow so may relax on cloning early but we’ll see. I’ve been lucky to catch environmental issues as they have come up so nothing crazy has happened except some wet spots that needed air flow. If anyone can point me in the direction of step by step cloning process that’d be cool. Here’s some progress pics. Thanks for peaking in.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Looks great, keep up the good work.

Just a thought, success is all about roots, PERIOD. The rest will follow. If you can bury your leggy “trunk” you’ll induce root growth all along the buried area. Vigor (and yield) will increase 10X.

They are in soil, right?

UB

1 Like

yes, started from clones and I put them about 3 inches deep on initial transplanting. I have added dirt to the base of them early on but have just let them be since.

1 Like

There are 100 ways to skin a cat and you’ll find most of them here. I think for small gardens it’s easiest just to take some cuttings and out them in a cup with a little water.

I’m not familiar with the build a soil method. What’s the deal with the plastic and pvc pipe in the container?

Garden is looking real clean :+1:

1 Like

Recommend root tip pruning systems, been using them for decades on all kinds of plant materials. Am now trying MicroKote. The science behind root pruning is kin to topping but underground. You’ll create a very profuse, fibrous and efficient root system in a small container. Makes life a lot simpler and cheaper.

If you can get to them without too much root disturbance then dig them up and plant them up to the first node holding leaves. If you grow tomatoes, that’s the only to grow them too. Leggy cannabis or tomatoes can be buried in a trench if root depth is restricted. Roots will still grow along the horizontally buried trunk.

Here’s an old experiment regarding this system. Grow Marijuana FAQ, Cannabis cultivation - marijuana growing tips & photos

Uncle Ben

2 Likes

I love the rooting gel cups. You just punch a hole in the foil top and stick your cuttings into the gel which contains a root hormone and probably a fungicide. Amazon sells rooting goodies.

3 Likes

Is that a humidifier? Once they’ve rooted you don’t want the disease pressures high RH can promote in the garden. However, great idea for providing moisture cuttings need. Good on ya.

Uncle Ben

1 Like

yea, it has a bunch of exact humidity settings and auto on/off. I have reduced it as my kPa numbers go. Basically the bigger they get the less I need. I had early issues with moisture but have kept the RH pretty manageable and not wet.

2 Likes

SIPs or Sub Irrigated Planters. The tube is how I water. thanks for the kudos!

2 Likes

How and to where do you drain those tubs?

Friend of mine builds these self wicking tubs. They work great. How to Build the BEST Self Wicking Containers! DIY Self Watering Tubs - YouTube

1 Like

Ok. Going to photo dump and add current pictures. Life’sa little wild so I’ll update later but wanted to dump some evolution of this first grow.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Lots of lessons learned. Number one is do it before it needs to be done. You can see in the pictures I had a scrog net up and pulled it and started over. Was not the ideal thing to do and especially right at the beginning of flower stage. Luckily I have good mentors and seemingly saved what i messed up. I am so excited every morning when I come down and check on em and get little whiffs of stinky. Thanks for looking.

Day 21 flower update. New light in. Got a deal and wanted to finish strong. Went from a 400w to a 650w and it’s been a game changer. Happy.

3 Likes

Everything is looking really good!

That new led fits corner to corner in there, what did you end up with?

Got this for about $300 off list so I pulled the trigger.

https://a.co/d/boJtqBX

1 Like