First Grow - Here We Go - SPACE.U beans

Its ok if you add your 2 cents :laughing:

2 Likes

Here’s what the kids looked like this morning. How do you all think they are doing?

10 Likes

Nice looking seedlings.

1 Like

When you mention nodes, I am assuming that is the places on the stem where the sets of leaves are. Is that correct? To me it looks like there are three nodes and a fourth one starting on this plant if I understand correctly. Just trying to understand the terminology.

Thanks,
Skydog

6 Likes

Correct.

Some consider the cotyledon the first node.

2 Likes

The kids are growing. Today was a good day. Time to LITFA for a day or two.

11 Likes

Nice tight nodes. Makes me think female.

3 Likes

I like the way you think!

2 Likes

More often than not, the males attempt to tower over the females. This is not a sure thing, but…

4 Likes

So tonight I decided to see how the kids were doing and pulled the inner clear cup out of the opaque cup and this is what I saw. I don’t know a lot about plants but I do think this root system looks very good. IMHO.

My question is whether to leave it alone a little longer or prepare to transplant it into it’s 3 gal pot? It has only been 15-16 days since they popped

5 Likes

Lookin good! I would give em another week. I usually leave seedlings in 16oz “party cups” for at least 3 weeks to guarantee a solid root ball to make transplanting a breeze.

Giving em any food yet?
First grow eh? Surprise to me! You’re doing great

3 Likes

I haven’t started yet, but have questioned when it is time. I am actually looking for advice on that. The Fox Farms Coco Loco that they are growing in is supposed to provide some nutrition but I am not sure when to supplement. I’ve got Fox Farms hydro nutes too, so I’m ready to pull the trigger. I haven’t mixed anything up yet but whatever the mix, I’ll start somewhere around 1/4 - 1/2 strength to see how they react.

8 Likes

I thi k you’d be safe to feed at half strength no problem at this point… But I’m not familiar with the fox farms line… They look established enough to take a good feeding.

:call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Fed some half strength nutes Sat. nite and again tonight. Everyone looks healthy. I have a few things I’m not sure about.

Do the leaves above look OK? These are the only ones that look different.

Below are are few more shots of where we are.

One more question. Are you all feeding nutes at each watering or some other interval?

That’s all folks.

SkyDog

5 Likes

How are they looking now.

These should move to a new container without dropping a bit of soil by now.

I put my food into the soil. I occasionally top dress with compost and I occasionally add a Fulvic Acid / Kelp tea.

These are looking healthy and lush.

I am happy to see this.

Some of the crinkly leaves could be damage caused after they formed, or it could be root binding. No way to be sure.

2 Likes

Finally moved seedlings to grow tent last night at the end of their light cycle. Hope they respond well. They have been under the lights for 12 hours now. Using 600W MH lighting. Aircooled hood is pretty slick. Tent temps around 75F. Trying to find correct light height now. Can hold my hand for thirty seconds at about 12" from light and it’s just warm. Started with light about 4 ft from plants today and now have it at 16-18 inches. Might have to up the nutes. Feeding at 1/2 strength right now as it is only second week I have had them on nutes.

8 Likes

Nice. How were the roots. Were they ready or could they have waited longer? Love them root ball pics.

So far looking good from here.

PS, your pH meter might enjoy being stored in a clean dry place. It will decompose under ground :wink:

2 Likes

They looked pretty good to me. They were starting to spin around the bottom of the cup and a couple even had them coming out the drainage holes in the bottom. I should have taken photos but I was in a hurry. I was surprised at how many roots they had, all nice and white.

(Meter is out and put away. Just wanted to get an idea where everything was and snapped the shot while the tent was open. Thanks for the advice.)

2 Likes

Getting fuller now that they are under the MH lamp.

Wondering if it is time to mix up some full strength nutes or keep at half strength for now? Plants are right at 30 days now. Should I be able to sex them soon?

3 Likes

I would just keep giving them what you think they need regardless of the label. If they’re eating and enjoying 1/2 strength, maybe increase a little, but I wouldn’t change much if they’re looking happy.

Keep it up!
Swampy

3 Likes