First Grow, popped in April

@gramps
Several similar spots in the top colas of the CGxPR. Pouring rain today so I may wait.

Was considering cutting one of the two central colas of the Jillybean. The foliage is very dense in there and I wondered if removing one branch for circulation might be less intrusive than cutting leaves off of the insides of all the top branches. Certainly be less work and I would have a cola to experiment on vis drying/tasting. Do plants hate to lose branches?

2 Likes

I’ve searched on line for beginning bud rot pics. I still don’t know how to identify it. Several of the buds on my ColombianGoldxPanamaRed have small brown areas or discolored leaves. Does any of this look like bud rot to your educated eyes?

Numbered for reference purposes.

4 Likes

Looks like a caterpillar. Dig in. If not then bod rot. Either way, I’d dig it out.

2 Likes

Monitoring. Nothing seems to be progressing fast. PLEASE! If anything here screams cut that flower off now! Tell me.

5 - bottom of image is suspect area.

6 - flash made whole cola seem washed out. Just the brown concerns me.

7 - read that solo leaf color change can indicate issue. No other issue visible in this flower.

1 Like

I would gently cut away the brown spot being careful to not damaged the stem . But that’s me it looks localized in the photo good luck .

2 Likes

Thank you @gramps. Which number photo, please?

Any flower with brown spots . Just the localized spot .

2 Likes

Thank you.
I have some concern that cutting will create a vulnerable spot that will allow the rot deeper entry. Would dabbing with aloe or spraying with Hydrogen Peroxide mitigate this?

Also, is a dip of the razor in alcohol and a wipe on a rag sufficient to prevent spreading from one site to the next?

1 Like

You don’t have to cut the whole thing, but if you don’t cut the brown out and it is bud rot it will spread the stem and eat the whole thing away. Surgery.

3 Likes

Botrytis or bud rot is a fungal disease. If left unattended/treated it spreads quickly. Cut away the effected parts from the plant. Remove it carefully as it will release spores that will attach itself to the rest of your plants and regenerate.
You need to try and reduce the humidity in the grow area as that is the main culprit.
https://extension.psu.edu/botrytis-or-gray-mold
Edit - just realised the plants are outdoors so you can forget about reducing the humidity.
I noticed in picture 3 you have an outside toilet :rofl:

2 Likes

Sometimes you just gotta go.

2 Likes

It’s time. Anyone have a suggestion: Hydrogen Peroxide spray useful? Alcohol to clean the trimmer?

Peroxide/doc bronners hemp peppermint spray, alcohol snip dip, wipe rag, gloves and mask.

4 Likes

Too fucking sad for words.

Green pipe cleaner was being dusted with pollen. No seeds that I can see. Wouldn’t have been mature anyway. Sorry ColombianGoldxPanamaRed fans. Perhaps you would like some hermy seeds from her brother.

Shadow of her former self. Every cola, every bud over two inches, gone.

Gonna cut her down now. Though I am curious to know how the rot would progress after my hack job, I would rather smoke what’s left.

Feel free to :heart:. I’ll know what you mean.

3 Likes

Maybe trimmed out some “usable” veg from the surgery. Haven’t cut the plant down yet.

How dangerous is botrytus for consumption?
What’s the best way to process this?
I am imagining a rinse, a 40 minute 240° cook and a good long alcoholic soak.

Right away or dry first?

1 Like

Seed was happening. CS worked.

2 Likes

Wash everything.

3 Likes

You can’t smoke anything with botrytis or cure it. Make sure you cut all of it out. Maybe a rinse in H202 and baking soda with lemon to neutralize anything you can’t see as well.

1 Like

How do I quick dry the rest?

1 Like

There is no quick dry, but the fastest is to trim then take bud off the stem to dry

1 Like