First SIP run with ProMix HP

Greetings,

First post here so please bear with me :slight_smile:

I’ve just completed my first SIP run with auto’s from Herbies Seeds !

It’s difficult to say if they work better than 5 gallon fabric bags because I always grow four different strains but this has been my most healthy/vigorous grow to date I

I plan to use them again on my next run !

Five gallon pails, GroBuckets with ProMix HP and feeding with Mega Crop one part.

Six Shooter Auto wet trimmed >

Hang/dry in my “tent”…

Cheers

27 Likes

Looks :eyes: like a pretty successful grow can you give us some more detail. I am looking at changing my setup and would like to see a more pictures and some data if possible. Thanks :sunglasses::christmas_tree::v:

2 Likes

Many moons ago I settled on ProMix HP as my medium. It is soilless and does not contain any nutrients, you have absolute control over what you feed.

It also drains well (if you need to flush/reset :slight_smile: ) and is ph buffered. My well water has a ppm of ~500 and a ph of ~7.5 depending on the season, I do not use ph down.

It is relatively inexpensive, I figure a 5 gallon pot costs ~$5.

For nutrients I have settled on powders, specifically either Mega Crop one part or General Hydroponics MaxiSeries. Both are either ph buffered or chelated.

You feed by weight, much easier than dealing with multiple bottles and millimeters. I roughly follow their feeding schedules on their web sites >

https://greenleafnutrients.com/Mega-Crop-1-Part-Calculator/

I’ve grown in one gallon plastic pots, 3, 4 and 5 gallon fabric bags and this time in the 5 gallon SIP’s.

The only real difference I’ve found is the frequency of watering, I feed with every watering.

Generally speaking with fabric bags you will notice on watering day they perk up, second day they are praying and the third day they slow down.

With SIP’s they are praying Every day !

The GroBuckets are plastic inserts for a 5 gallon pail, basically an upside down 1 gallon pail with a feed tube and automatic dip stick. The insert is tapered so the medium does go right to the bottom and the rim is serrated to allow water to wick into the medium, there are also a variety of holes and slots.

Easy to make your own if you are so inclined.

Instructions include where to drill a drain hole in the pail. With the medium fully saturated and the reservoir filled there is an air gap of about 1" between the top of the insert and the medium. This seems to be the trick.

Although I have read recommendations to Not water from the top I found within weeks of transplant my girls were leaning. They had grown the main tap root but little to no side roots to help support the plant.

Recommendations were to water with a gallon from the bottom24 hours before transplant. At transplant time the bottom of my prepared hole was barely damp and the top 3-4" were completely dry. But, there was no transplant shock and they grew normally, until they started to lean :slight_smile:

I now believe a better way is to water from the top a day before transplant. This may also start the wicking action sooner ?

When the girls are young I maintain a 1/2 full reservoir once a day for about two weeks before moving to a full reservoir, then I start top watering every third or fourth watering.

So, drill your drain hole. Lightly pack in your medium and place an empty solo cup at the top. Makes transplanting easier !

And I installed a drain tube to the drain hole, makes disposing of the run off easier.

I think that is the basics :slight_smile: Please ask if you need something clarified !

Day 63

Cheers

10 Likes

Day 117 of what is supposed to be 70 days seed to harvest :slight_smile:

Cheers

7 Likes

For comparison, this is a Wedding Cheesecake auto @ day 84 in a hempy bucket/perlite…

Six Shooter Auto @ day 84 in a SIP…

Gorilla Punch Auto in a SIP…

California Snow auto in a SIP…

Cheers

6 Likes

Six Shooter auto has been hanging for five days…

Good thing I checked on her, house humidity is 24% :astonished:

Caught her just in time, looking forward to weighing this one :heart_eyes:

Two 11L totes, top of the image is the main cola that was bud back built, I had to cut it down to fit :slight_smile:

Cheers, eh ?

11 Likes

Welcome to OG @Chuckeye my last and current grow I’m using promix hp and mc in 3g fabric and just love the ease of the 1 Part. Got 30 Oz out of 4 autos. :seedling:
Thoes sip’s look neet :+1:
Just grabbed some of their BE that’s back in stock. Can’t wait to see if it makes a big difference.
Good luck and good growing growchacho

Thanks @LzBoy !

I didn’t notice a big difference with BE but it couldn’t hurt !

Just remember not to use it Before the first week of flower is over and lower the amount of MC by the amount of BE !

If your new leaves are twisted/corkscrewed that is the first sign of too much, DAMHIK :slight_smile:

The BE is also good for the odd plant that shows potassium deficiencies !

Cheers

2 Likes

hey man! you sure thats potassium def? i used to get that on some plants, thought it was ph variation. interesting in reading your thoughts/experience with those symptoms.

1 Like

Well, with ProMix HP i quit phing many grows ago and my two other plants on the same feed this grow were fine. This lady seemed to be picky :slight_smile:

Now it may not be potassium but when I started adding Bud Explosion it stopped. Obviously the damage was done but it did not progress.

Bud Explosion is 0-34-34

Cheers

2 Likes

Same! Grobuckets with super soil though. These autos finished in 70 days and I had some decent vegetable harvests with them this year also. Gonna run them again next instead of my rdwc setup I think.

3 Likes

I’m following along, I picked up 3 on sale so hopefully I’ll know ‘what’s what’ by spring… :wink:

Cheers
G

1 Like

Top cola which was bud back built :slight_smile:

!

Cheers

5 Likes

Six Shooter Auto, total yield 13.89 oz.

Root ball…

Cheers

3 Likes

Thought I posted this, Six Shooter wet trimmed !

Cheers

5 Likes

Yo, first post vibes! Props on that SIP run with Herbies Seeds, man. Healthy and vigorous is what we aim for :herb::v:

I saw herbies having six shooter auto, do you think they have photo too?

It seems they do not…

Cheers