First time growing auto's

you could put a couple on the bottom pointing upskirt if it gets too full for light to fully penetrate

1 Like

Anyone doing autos in DWC?

not on here that i know of, but its do able, no different than photoperiods just have to start from seed

3 Likes

Northern lights is doing very well. Sheā€™s had a few extra feeds, she was an odd lime colour and then started turning dark green, those lime tips are gone as of now.

Iā€™ve upgraded the growbox. Itā€™s now painted white as was suggested by other members. The 4 way bulb adaptor arrived faulty so I still donā€™t have all the lights up but she seems happy with the 3 at the moment. The suns been out last few days so sheā€™s been enjoying the window sill as well during the afternoon. Which is helpful to me because sheā€™s really starting to stink.

I need to have a look at pruning and training threads on here now and see what kinda things she might like.

2 Likes

Autoā€™s donā€™t do well with anything but LST. Youā€™ll end up stunting them if you do any kind of topping to them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true. I know you canā€™t take cuttings either, cuttings will just follow the same time pattern as the main plant. But I donā€™t want her to be a huge beast. Mr.Sparkles micro growing looks pretty good though sheā€™s got room to get a bit bigger. I just donā€™t want her to be 5 foot tall :smiley:

Actually you can top them its just make sure you have everything else solid, also there is a time frame for when its ideal to do so.

I wouldnā€™t on that plant just cause of the rough start but say in a week you could by just pinching off the very tip so long as its a later flowering auto (10+week) if its an 9week and under strain i would just leave it. BUT ā€œbig one hereā€ is so long as you want your plant to become a bush with more buds of uniform in size than singular colas. Otherwise if the space is big enough just let it grow how it wants too. Training is only needed if you have space restrictions or lighting restrictions, or are trying to achieve uniform sized buds at the end.

Plus these are going outside or was the plan, but by the sounds of that the weather isnā€™t quite ready in ioikā€™s area. We are all ambitious :wink: its only experience that come in time that tells us otherwise. Just will have to plant some seeds later to utilize the good weather as well for a try two which is all a good first learning experience.

We will get you there ioik.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure you will :smiley:

This is now out of date. Sheā€™s significantly larger than this and 29 days old. At any rate. She got some nasty burn from sitting in the windowsill one afternoon it dared to be sunny and warm hereā€¦ itā€™s been 8c and raining ever since that day so Brrrrr for me. I got the 4 way working and she had 6 lights in the box which Iā€™m told is still under the lumens she needs but her sunburn only got worse inside the box with the lights. So moved 2 of the lights to face the chilli plants she was hanging with more and raised the 4 way to itā€™s max height away from her. She was still not happy so yesterday, when I moved the chilli plants, as they were no longer looking sickly and could return to the main nursery, I changed the lights around again. Took out the 4 way and switched to 3 lights spotlighting her from 3 directions. Sheā€™s a lot more happier looking this evening. She grew over night, colouring looks healthier, burns seem to be healing better and sheā€™s not curling her leaves as much. Seems she just prefers the 3 lights. Iā€™ll see for the next couple days how this continues to play out.

2 Likes

Had to upgrade the box today. It was starting to fall apart from the weight of lights. New box much sturdier and taller. Sheā€™s gotten so tall she was touching the ceiling of the old box but thereā€™s more than enough space for her in the new one.

New box next to the old one for comparison. Thatā€™s not all the lights added to it btw. She was happy with the 3 + strips in the old box but giving her the 4 with strips again and sorting out where to put 2 more tomorrow. Let her settle with the 4 first check she doesnā€™t start burning and being finicky again. Sheā€™s really starting to spread width wise now though. See more limbs pushing out.

Here she is chilling in the kitchen window while I was painting her new box. She was extra thirsty today oddly, soil was bone dry despite being watered yesterday and misted in the morning. Have to keep an eye on that.

1 Like

has she started flowering yet? maybe you could put the other 2 on either side on the floor pointing up at her, bathe her in light from all directions.

1 Like

Sheā€™s getting more and more flowers every day. I wasnā€™t expecting so many on such a small plant. Sheā€™s also incredibly thirsty lately. Her soil has been bone dry twice this week. Iā€™ve had to give her, her weekly top-up every 2 days and she still gets misted a few times a day.

I was thinking about lights at the bottom but not sure how to properly angle them. I was thinking of another at the bottom though at least so she have 2 focusing on her lower leaves with the strip lights.

1 Like

What sort of air inlet do you have on the box?

ANd it will support the bent stem, make more roots and heal quicker! Bullseye!

1 Like

Iā€™m learning about autos this year also I have 3/4 going right now on "Tinytuttles growing Chronicles " weā€™ll learn this together!

1 Like

Iā€™v used bamboo skewers a little less bulky able to slide between the roots a little easier IMO!

2 Likes

I used them for everything, removing shells off seeds, transplanting seedlings, stem support and also as pipe tokers, bong cleaners and wellā€¦ They are great.

1 Like

Defo. Iā€™ve bought some proper bamboo supports now for a next grow but the chopsticks did the job this time. This has been a very steep learning curve so far. Only 2 weeks till finished just hoping not to kill her right at the end now lol.

Mind how much water they seem to want from 4 weeks+ didnā€™t think sheā€™d need such a massive amount so suddenly. They are strange plants.

2 Likes

Perfect cloner or some where to sex plants. Great little roomā€¦i got damoing off going on right nowā€¦its fkn annoying! Im afraid i will lose every seed Im trying to popā€¦

1 Like