First time growing tips/criticism welcomed

No problem. There is some great stuff in there. Make sure you grab BOG’s Bonanza of Green :v:

2 Likes

Damn Doug!

I’m almost glad it is too hot to garden today, now I can read all your books! :books:

1 Like

You’re going to be reading for a while @AppalachianBiscuits , lol.

3 Likes

Currently reading Doug’s List :nerd_face: :memo: like…
:laughing: :rofl: :sob: :confetti_ball:

@DougDawson

1 Like

i got them all when you posted last time. i forgot where that thread was and was on the way out the door. mission accomplished.

So I decided to bite the bullet and snip off the first single finger leaves from all 4 after reading a bit about yellow/browning leaves but I’m still unsure about what to do nutrient wise whether I send it with a 50% feed of the soil nutes or flush and 50% feed

1 Like

What’s up guys, solid thread! Figured I’d pop in here instead of starting a new thread. Had a question around soil medium… I recently started a hydroponics grow with coco/clay pebbles. Historically, I’ve always done soil grows (not hydroponics) but wanted to switch things up and go hydro. I’m not sure how I feel about the coco and am curious if I could do soil/pebbles with a hydroponics setup?

Might create an unnecessary layer of complexity as far as nutes are concerned, but I’ve always liked soil appreciate any opinions/feedback

I’ve had the best success in hydro using rockwool cubes either on larger sheets of rockwool or on clay pellets depending on dwc or not.

1 Like

To OP: I’ve had the best success when I simplify my grows. Everyone has their own secret sauce to grow the best and mine is simplicity. I use just plain potting soil with some perlite and woody plant material for drainage, some green material to break down and add organic matter, manure (I get mine from a farm, but be careful because sourcing high quality, clean manure is easier said than done) and honestly, i just use timerelease nutrient granules instead of any fancy liquid fertilizer because it is super easy. As a bonus, at least one study has shown that slow release fertilizer results in better yielding plants with more uniformity. I’ll throw in some of the various meals or guano or whatever amendment catches my eye sometimes, but I have yet to use one that is better than healthy soil with a healthy microbial population

1 Like

Thanks gents, this is kind of the vibe I’m getting. I’ve always felt the soil has a means of providing some level of natural nutrients to some degree. My travel schedule and the inevitable cleanup along with potential increased yield led me to giving hydroponics a go and I’m committed to that for now, but I almost feel I’m doing a disservice to the babies putting them in a medium that completely lacks nutrients… maybe I’m wrong, but I’m leaning towards a soil based medium of sorts with hydro next go round. Been doing this off and on for years and it’s a never ending learning process, but this community is great!

1 Like