Former Phylos Bioscience Employee Sheds Light on Breeding Controversy

You can’t monopolize a black market. Lawyers and contracts and patents are meaningless.

Pandora’s Box opened a looooong time ago.

Some cool plants might come out of this…you never know. There’s a little good in all bad, a little bad in all good.

This or something like it was coming anyway. With legalization, ag companies weren’t not going to get involved. Can’t stop what’s coming.

15 Likes

Yeah and as far as I’m concerned, if they legalized today and started trying to patent and copyright plants I’d be fine with the genetics I currently have. Being completely illegal didn’t stop me and even if they tried banning home grows I’d still grow my own.

I don’t like supporting the people behind the black market and I like the idea of supporting corporate fat cats even less.

13 Likes

Sounds like we need to document what we have when he can.

1 Like

it’s garbage

If they want to patent a variety…they’ll actually have to develop a new distinct one. That will probably take years and involve a ton of work.

They can’t just say “we submitted patents on the ECSD clone no one can grow it anymore without paying us”.

IDK, I’m not worried about it. It’s not possible to patent heirloom varieties that existed well prior to their business incorporation. Burpee might patent a specific type of beefsteak tomato they developed…but anyone can still grow beefsteak tomatoes.

Half of all beers drank are Bud, Miller, Coors…but anyone can brew a lager style beer.

The real fight you need to worry about is lobbying for legal home growing with no plant counts. That’s what the suits REALLY are after. It isn’t the specific plants that are important, it’s about eliminating their competition with the stroke of a pen, and keeping the number of licenses to grow at a minimum. Every guy who gifts their uncle a jar of weed they grew themself is lost profits and taxes.

21 Likes

Definitely second @vernal here. The shit that’s going on all over with legalization is fucking sad but as long as I can grow my own, it’s all at an arms length, if they come after home grows though that’s when I’m gonna get flared up for sure.

7 Likes

I think Phylos’ point is that with the genetic sequences they’ve mapped and documented, they can more easily isolate the traits/genes they want to adjust, make GMO-style changes, and push stuff to market much faster than an ordinary breeder who would need multiple breeding cycles to isolate and solidify the same traits. Pretty sure they’re not planning to patent heirloom varieties, but to ensure that larger growers use Phylos genetics–for bigger, faster, more potent varieties which are more resistant to mold, bugs, etc.

4 Likes

If they have the means to make plants that are superior in terms of yield, ease of growth, etc…why not?

I am personally skeptical even with GMO technology they can improve on it enough to make a night and day difference…but then again maybe they can.

4 Likes

Claims vs results…claims get investors, results keep them. Phylos is still very much in the claim-making stage.

3 Likes

I don’t know about phylos specifically but it should be possible to do things like create true polyhybrids heterozygous at every locus with desirable traits at the minimum, and breeding should be faster if you don’t actually have to breed plants traditionally and can just CRISPR up your desired plants. That’s just shortcutting traditional breeding without any kind of transgenics.

But while I’m on the subject… BT seems to be indispensable for most home growers dealing with budworms, and the technology is already applied to corn and cotton among other plants. I’m not advocating for it, but I could totally see BT cannabis happening.

2 Likes

and not even just this. With their tech and mapping the genes, they could plant 1000 seeds and run a sample at a couple days in and KNOW which plants are the one’s they need and chop everything else. Not even getting to CRISPR. That alone will save thousands of hours off breeding. The rest of us normally have to wait until at least a couple weeks into veg and depending on the trait, all the way through flower and possibly to cure before we know which is the one to keep.

5 Likes

is that cause genetical analysis can determine the “anchestral Traits” so to speak?

So, if an anchestral Trait is present ina Pheno, then one can be shure it will epress truely in the offspring? (i sound probably a bit confused)

Well once you determine which genes control which traits (for example, by knocking out the genes suspected to control that trait and comparing), you can create a plant that always passes that trait on and use it for breeding, which will be much more reliable than a conventionally bred IBL. You can screen potential parents/cultivars for a desired trait to make sure they always have it.

These tools are not inherently bad, it’s the business side of agribusiness that ruins everything by parenting sequences, pushing legislation to restrict non-customers, and breeding for traits that are good for business but consumers don’t really desire.

5 Likes

ah, sounds like genetic modification. ok.

1 Like

It is; but there is a distinction to be made: the technology can be used to insert selected cannabis genes into a cannabis plant which just reduces the need for successive generations and growing lots of plants that would not be selected anyways, or it can be used to insert genes from other organisms such as the genes from the bacteria B. Thuringensis responsible for the protein which kills caterpillars.

1 Like

Glow in the dark cannibis for autos to save on electricity bills!!! SPLICED WITH ELECTRIC EELS!!! WHY HAS NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS!!!

4 Likes

Im open to it, but also im open for people to be careful, cause we humans have feelings, and it can be a little crazy, so better they really watch that no accidental pollination happens. But yeah im open. I mean i would wish a autogene inserted into 20 weeker sativa, please?

Outside , Strangely. I had bugs only focus on the two ( out of five ) plants that were not as healthy or stable. Almost as if to educate me on their ranking status of future useability. Had I attacked them ( bugs) the response may have been for them to shore up their population needing more resources from my plant. I could be interpreting my experience incorrectly mind you.

2 Likes

So f i have a hundred varieties and i know people with many many more…how are the big boys gonna contain the thousands of varietals and phenos of those varieties? Can some one not do an open source testing and sharing of info? I understand the reticence of breeders to particiapte after what Pylos did.

1 Like

Once Bt is inserted into a plant genetically, bugs begin to gain resistance to it. Literally every bite of food they take they are getting a very small percentage of BT in their system . It is estimated that BT crops will prevent infestations for no more than a decade, after which point it will not work, and neither will the powdered form gardeners have been using for decades. In exchange for a few years of pest free gardening, we are losing a very powerful Ally in organic gardening. A very poor trade-off in my opinion.

7 Likes