Strains Known To Herm Indefinately

ok folks!

so I’ve been around chatting withbaome members and we got on the subject of intersexing strains…

though all have a certain capability to do it, some tend to show their disappointment sooner than others.

So I’ve created a topic to speak about certain strains amd their lean toward hermaphrodite genes and helping other in choosing strains that wont be an angry thread on site in 2 months

4 Likes

The Ancestral Skunk all hermed on me.
All of my GG4 S1 hermed on me.
GSC is known to herm easily.

9 Likes

Female seeds xline pure ak are supposedly bad for changing sex late in flower. I’m running them at the minute so in a few weeks I’ll be able to let you know.

4 Likes

I want to say that gg#4 is an obvious one, known throughout the forums to be a herm plant, yet people still continue to buy it and crosses of it and then wonder why it doesnt finish correctly

6 Likes

Yep, she is probably the worst. Add to that the (likely) possibility she has TMV which can be passed down in seeds and crosses. Now that I think about it, I bet you the TMV is causing stress increasing the chance of intersex plants.

9 Likes

Has it been confirmed that cannabis can get TMV for sure now? Last I read the science was inconclusive :confused:

5 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. That could call for a test:

https://orders.agdia.com/agdia-immunostrip-for-tmv-isk-57400

And, then maybe try to clone “sterilize” from new growth tips?

Also, found this:

But, then:

Hemp Streak Virus
Alfalfa Mosaic Virus
Cucumber Mosaic Virus
Arabis Mosicac Virus
Hemp Mosaic Virus

5 Likes

is tobacco mosaic virus soilborne?

From wikipedia

5 Likes

girl scout cookies. I 100% agree about its herm tendencies.

I haven’t had good luck with moxie seeds alpine og, lemon og, and golden cobra, very high rates of herms and unusable dwarf mutants. No luck contacting the company either.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that Sour Diesel (and many of its descendants) exhibit intersex tendencies – last time I heard this was from a breeder warning me about the potential for hermies in a strain they were selling… weirdly honest, but good on them.

I’ve also been told to avoid GG#4 by multiple people who have grown it… conveniently, GG#4 seems to be a descendant of Sour Diesel :thinking:

from what i’ve seen on forums every test has come back negative for suspected TMV … it’s usually a PH or nutrient issue, maybe pest… that was a year ago or more i was researching it though

the test you linked says : This test detects a variety of viruses from the tobamovirus group including Tobacco mosaic virus-common strain (TMV-c), Tomato mosaic virus (ToMV), and Sunn hemp mosaic virus (SHMV).

their other test says it can detect : Cucumber green mottle mosaic virus (CGMMV), Kyuri green mottle mosaic virus (KGMMV), Odontoglossum ringspot virus (ORSV), Pepper mild mottle virus (PMMoV), Ribgrass mosaic virus (RMV), Streptocarpus flower break virus (SFBV), Sunhemp mosaic virus (SHMV), Tobacco mosaic virus including common strain (TMV and TMV-c), Tomato mosaic virus (ToMV) and Tomato mottle mosaic virus (ToMMV).

This test, however, is not a tobamovirus group test and was tested for its effectiveness at detecting TMV.
https://orders.agdia.com/agdia-immunostrip-for-tmv-isk-57400

2 Likes

GG4 and GSC both have chem in … could be coincidence though :confused: but i’ve heard of people who refuse to run anything with chem in it … i think more because chem dawg was a PoS than herm issues tho

4 Likes

Yes, there are a variety of strains of TMV.

Paging Grandmaster @Fuel for some advanced knowledge…

I forgot about chem, agree it should be on the list!

1 Like

I don’t read a lot of forums but wow in gsc and gg4 , never had an issue with either, I even had extremely solid no hermed gsc s1 seeds , what am I doing wrong ?
I wish I could remember all the herms I have culled over the years but it seems people like to say , blah blah famous strain was created from a hermie so I I will do it also, makes no sense.

2 Likes

Nothing by the sound of it and that’s why you’ve not had herm issues. That or your blessed with the kind of luck most could only dream of :grin:

Some plants/strains will take huge stress and never herm. On the other hand some herm with the mildest stress.

It got a couple of degrees colder last night!..Bananas away :laughing:

5 Likes

Hiya,

I know its 3 months later but I am sure people are still reading over thread, as herming is here to stay! Just thought I could help clear some stuff up about a flowering female plant that produces male parts- it is seldom related to genetics. Rather, the environment such as light, temp, and lifespan are proven triggers of herming.

A buddy of mine’s prized mother plant hermied in flower, but the clones that he took a month prior went through flower without any issues. Considering all environmental conditions were identical, this is solid evidence.

Back to answering your question, it is possible to have unstable genetics that cause the plant to hermie.

But with that being said, the underlying cause is not just “it has hermie DNA”, its deeper. It could be any one of thousands of mutations in genes i.e- a mutation that makes it more sensitive to heat or light fluctuation, which in turn causes the plant to flip into its “hermie” mode. This is where hormones are triggered that induces a defense mechanism, synonymous to a humans fight or flight mode. The mother just wants to be able to reproduce, and if she feels that her life is in danger and there are no males dropping pollen, she says fuck it and does it herself. And a good chunk of todays strains contain this mechanism, due to the inbreeding and crossing over the last 30 years.

On the flip side, what you really want to find are the strains that can have gene mutations which silence the precursors for this fight or flight mechanism, making them very unlikely to herm, simply because its just genetically impossible.

You may ask well where do I find these seeds? A good breeder with strong vintage genetic histories. On a side note- there are some growers that have mother plants from the 1970s still alive, kept under 20-4 hr light cycle, with clones being taken off for every new season. So there is hope, you just have to do your research!

A safe bet to make concerning hermies, its about:

15% (weak genetics) 85% environment

Cheers,

Tree

3 Likes

I have yet to have a GG4 S1 herm on me, I hope the one I’m running now won’t be the first!

Almost all of the Skunk/Haze I’ve run from Sam Skunkman have done it, though. Most very late in flowering. The haze leaners are some of my favorite smoke, but… I’ve been working on slowly selecting that out. It’s a very long process for me.

And every single Bubblicious from Nirvana. Years apart, too. I knew not to expect too much with those, but I wasn’t prepared for 100% disappointment.

3 Likes