Found thrips. What can be done?

Yeah a spray bottle. I feel like with that fire extinguisher you posted it’d be hard to get every piece of leaf. But maybe not?

Can this kill pistils? Spraying definitely made pistils turn prematurely orange but on a couple plants they look fried. I touch them with sticky fingers and some come off.

I know when you trim hairs come off so maybe it’s that. But they don’t look a normal orange, look like orange with a whitish frost on them.

1 Like

not sure what “this” is, but yes, several products will kill pistils. Green cure comes to mind. It shouldn’t effect anything as long as you are not trying to make seeds.

1 Like

Spinosad is the product.

2 Likes

Yes, in my experience it can burn pistils.

Thrips again on the clones of these plants I flipped a few weeks ago.

Where the fuck do they come from? I’ve neglected this grow for the past two weeks due to sickness and a death in my family I’ve just been too depressed to do much so I doubt I brought them in.

Bumming me out. I knew I should have sprayed them as a preventative, but I’ve just had 0 energy to do anything other than work and zone out on the TV

Are there any tips on not bringing these in? I grow in a basement. Perhaps they are coming in through any tiny opening to outside? If that’s the case why haven’t they popped up in my 5 years of growing at this house?

I guess I’ll have to defoliate and spray with spinosad again

3 Likes

Hey I know that feeling, do whatever you need to. It can take time…

If they’re only a few weeks in why not bomb them with the spinosad again. As far as preventing them from coming in, they just seem to randomly appear really.

Also, pretty much every time I’ve ever brought live plants in from someone else’s place I’ve magically gotten bugs like a week later…

The key is eradicating them once you have them. The easiest way is obviously starting from scratch. If you don’t want to do that then take clones and isolate them from your budding plants…like a different part of the house if you can. Put them in a super clean area and bomb the piss out of them with your spinosad on the regs until you are 100% sure theyre bug free.

You now have clean stock. Super clean your bud room to kill any possible eggs etc, chuck any potentially infected medium or whatever and you should be back on track!

Also, once youre 100% sure your cuts are bug free, wait a week and spray em again lol

1 Like

Oh they are getting bombed again for sure. I have seeds I started in my seed room I’ll spray as well and move them into my flower room. These infected plants are in my veg room that I flipped to a flower room.

I’m just not sure these two instances are connected.

I sprayed 52 days ago and hadn’t seen signs since last night.

I know their life cycle is 15-20 days from pupae to adult. So I’m thinking they came back in again somehow.

3 Likes

Could be, or there were some eggs hanging around somewhere. I don’t really know about their life cycles, I’m merely interested in their death cycles lol

Sounds like you’ve got a plan, good luck!

1 Like

The buds I harvested after spraying week 4 taste and smell fine. Not harsh either. Not sure why I was so scared. People smoke cigarettes that probably have been sprayed by spinosad (Blackhawk) and then loaded with hundreds of other chemicals.

I wonder if I should clean the walls and floor of my flower room(room of the original out break) with spinosad to be safe or just use bleach/water 1:10

4 Likes

You didn’t have all the information you needed.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I literally just shifted these cheeky bleeders from the purple Badlands cuts I got. 2 doses of trounce did it 5 days apart :wink:

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve done a couple of different companion plants for organic pest repellent/control over the years.

The ones that I remember as being regarded to work and easy to add to a grow space are Coriander, Chives, Basil and Dill. I never had to deal with real issues with Thrips, Aphids, or Spider Mites.

That being said, it’s entirely possible that companion herb planting is exactly as successful as a tinfoil hat stopping the government from reading your mind- lol.

3 Likes

I had thrips right after I started these girls 12/12.

I used this stuff on the 3 day cycle given on the bottle and it worked a treat. The good news is it’s all natural, mostly essential oils.

These are the same girls, they’ll be harvested in about a week and I can’t wait to try them on for size.

12 Likes

If you are in Canada I have found these guys on amazon, Grub Grenade predatory mites, they ship in winter as the mites dont freeze to death. 5000 mites for 49$ shipping free, enough to treat an infestation for all my pots with some left over for the clones. They will stay around for as long as there is food and they eat the eggs and larvae of all cannabis pests.

3 Likes

The Monterrey spray with spinosad WILL NOT hurt your plants at all. In fact, an hour after spraying them all, they will most likely “pray” . At 4 weeks into flower you would have no issues using it. Do nothing, your crop will be destroyed in front of your eyes.

Use the spray 3 or 4 times, 2-3 days apart, you will kill the bug’s not harm your Bud. YES, I have personally used it myself, with no issues.

NOW, IF I have ANY bug’s, my whole grow comes down, and I start fresh. Best defense against them is to NOT have them in the 1st place.

6 Likes

Yeah I had no issues with the quality of final smoke. It did burn the pistols a bit, but I was warned about that.

1 Like

Thrips are called Thunder Bugs/flies for a reason. They can get through screens and it usually happens during and before thunderstorms when they invade in numbers. They can of course hitchhike inside, but I have always found them inside just after stormy weather where they are said to fly in masses in retreat from the weather.

From my own experience, damage is often more notable around walls and other confined areas such as the lower canopy as they instinctively lay eggs on the plants in these areas in order to provide safety for the next generation. You generally will only find adults and the last stage of development in the highest of the leaves.

Pesticides are becoming increasingly worthless due to the immunity and resistance that Thrips display.

4 Likes

Improper use of pesticides contributes to resistance in insects. An example of improper use of Spinosad is posted above.

Use the spray 3 or 4 times, 2-3 days apart, you will kill the bug’s not harm your Bud.

3 Likes

Your point is??? 20 char

1 Like