Frankie’s Daughters: Unpacking a Frozen Genome

Indeed :+1:t2:

Pz :v:t2:

1 Like

Indeed! I see the logic and will update accordingly.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

5 Likes

Love your mother Madonna look with your described bridal gown. Looks like it helps to control pollen contamination on unwanted branches. Nice

3 Likes

Las Seis Cruces del Monstruo
I finished the last of the selective pollinations yesterday and it looks like everything “took,” at least if the crinkled up pistils are a good indication.

Here’s the lineup as of 9 February:

• Frankenstein clone x Frankie clone pollen (selfed Fem S1 seeds)

• Frankie’s Daughter Hilda x Frankie clone pollen, (BC1 Backcross, Fem seeds)

• Frankie’s Daughter Olive x Frankie clone pollen (BC1 Backcross, Fem seeds)

• Frankie’s Daughter Hilda x Oger Kush Pollen (Regular F1 seeds)

• Frankie’s Daughter Olive x Oger Kush Pollen (Regular F1 seeds)

• Frankenstein clone x Oger Kush Pollen (Regular F1 seeds)

Unless I screw something up, all those seeds should be ready to plant in time for Easter. :pray:

A special thanks to @Gpaw for the OGer Kush pollen!!!

16 Likes

Loving the progress bud!
:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Looks great. The crosses, pictures and documentation.
Me personally… I’d get rid of olive! I just watched a bunch of plants with the exact same weird leaf thing. They never came out of it. They didn’t form good buds. In hindsight a complete waste of space. My .02 cents

3 Likes

I honestly Luv you for sharing that @Emeraldgreen!!!
Seriously, I am totally digging being the sole advocate for poor liddle Olive! I even agree with you, mostly. :rofl:

Physically, Olive is a classic runt, a quarter the size of even a smallish state-of-the-art hyperhybrid canna. Olive does appear to be making buds, and seeds, but not many of either. Sad.

That’s all true, but Olive is perfectly formed in every dimension; her branching is regular as clockwork, each leaf is ‘in character’ clawed and cupped and a defensive dark green as though she is anticipating hard times ahead. In her own, odd, stubborn context, Olive is perfectly herself.

Olive is a plant that might interest you if you didn’t know she was cannabis. Anybody remember “Audrey Two” in LSoH?

So, I’ll forgive you in advance for laughing, but Olive is a plant with an Old Soul. She is resolutely going to express herself regardless of how or where she is grown. She has a special character that calls to me. (Besides, what if Olive is the gatekeeper for the Frankie Chemotype?)

Nuff Said,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, for those of you following this story, Thanks. I appreciate every single comment and suggestion.

13 Likes

Random updates:

Hilda is making frosting, and the first brown pistils,

And she’s stacking up.

Even our runt, Olive is building buds. What chems reside in those little nuggets?

Happy Valentine’s Day!
-Grouchy

14 Likes

Such a strange wrinkled little girl…

2 Likes

Does the wrinkle also make more of a leaf claw?

1 Like

Hi @420noob,
Thanks for asking, Olive could use a little luv. Here’s a closer look at our runt pheno Olive.

Approaching five weeks in flower, Olive is 25 inches tall and about 15 inches wide. Small, but not exactly Tiny anymore.

Olive is making some nice looking buds complete with frosting. The node spacing won’t create big colas, but there are lots of budsites with golf ball size flowers.

Interestingly, there is some variation within the Olive phenotype. This pic is of another Olive from seed, younger and less wrinkled and clawed.

All things considered I reckon the Olive pheno will a specialty item, grown by those who want to see what they can do with a unique plant. She is super easy to grow, tolerant of variable conditions and growth mediums and, to my eye at least, beautiful in her own crinkly way.

Olive RAWKS guys, Just Sayin,

-Grouchy
PS to answer the question you asked, I think the wrinkled leaves and the clawing are independent of each other. In the younger plant you can see that the leaves are still wrinkled and cupped downward, but not especially clawed.

11 Likes

:joy: having seen Ghostbusters you might be right, those gatekeepers can look pretty meek and mild to start out with. I’m just glad YOU have the patience …

6 Likes

You know me, I’ve always been partial to Freaks & Geeks! :rofl:

5 Likes

I’m 22 days late to this party, but I’d have to say that this post on your branch specific pollination is one of the best posts I’ve ever read in any grow forum, ever. The photo of the selective breeding bag placed on top of the willing new bride reminds me of what I suspect Mormon wedding sheets might look like. Okay, back to reading through this thread

6 Likes

First Seed

Here’s a happy moment to share: I spied the first developing seed from the six pollinations!

It’s a little hard to see in the picture, but if you follow the brown pistil up to where the calyx seam splits, those two dark dots are on the newly forming light green husk of a seed.

This is from one of the Hilda branches dusted with reversed pollen from a Frankenstein clone. That pollination was done on 7 February, three weeks ago today.

Experienced growers already know this, but it took me a couple of seed runs to learn how to spot developing seeds early.

It goes like this. Find a single withered and dark pistil amongst the newer white ones. Then follow that pistil down into where it enters its bract. If that leads you to a noticeably swollen calyx you’ve probably got a seed. Squeeze it gently with tweezers to be sure: Hard/Firm = seed!

Once you see one you’ll find them easy to spot, even get a rough estimate of your seed yield. But I will testify here, that finding the first seed is always very special. LoL

-Grouchy

12 Likes

Trichs & Treats

Here’s a sample of my Specimen Hilda’s trichomes entering week eight of flower. Plenty of trichs, but what chems lurk within?

Here’s the apical bud on the Seeded Hilda. This is a hint on what a severely Mainlined Hilda might look like. Respectable colas.

I pruned the Seeded Hilda plant on the right below pretty heavily. Each of the lower branches was hit with pollen, Frankie or OGer Kush (thx @Gpaw!) The top bud is sensimilla still, I hope.

The “Specimen” Hilda on the left was lightly pruned to open up the center to light, but is otherwise the natural form. She is fading toward harvest earlier than the other plants, and has already shown some amber trichs. The Specimen Hilda was not intentionally pollinated, so that may be a factor in her flowering.

All the plants have been flowering for 8 weeks and 3 days now. The first seeds should be ready mid March.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

18 Likes

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;

-Macbeth, sweating out his own overdue “harvest.”

I can relate. Nursing a grow along through those last interminable weeks is a torment of sorts.

In the next three weeks or so, pretty much everything in my room will be cut. But for now, we’re just waitin and watchin.

In that context this was an exciting day, fraught with positive portents.

This morning I gave all the seeded plants a close look and plucked the first two apparently mature and viable seeds.

There are weeks to go yet, but this is a very good sign.

Finding mature seeds was nice, and as an added “Smoke it like a Grower” bonus, I cut myself a little tester bud from the specimen Hilda. Pretty little thing, frosty, just the first hint of amber trichs.

I almost always take sample buds to help make harvest decisions. I find that it keeps the anxiety down and leads to better harvest calls.

My routine is to quickly dry test buds in a 48 hour cycle. The test bud sits atop an LED panel at 80F and 40% RH for the first day. That will bring down the moisture quickly without chasing the volatiles away. After 24 hours I put it in a jar with a Boveda 62 for another day. Not optimal but it gives a good hint of taste and potency.

Once it’s dry I’m thinking about spanking this little bud against my trim bin sieve to collect a small pile of kief. I’ll take my first sip of these chems from a little ball of dry sift hashish. Then we’ll torch the bud.

Cheers,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

18 Likes

Got to meet @GrouchyOldMan IRL yesterday! :smiley: and he passed on a Frankenstein mom to me (as well as some others) and last night I sampled some of the Frankie bud.

This stuff is no joke. Put me on my ass, and my mind was jumping through crazy hoops for a long time.

Some moments it felt too racy, and I was almost freaking out. A little while later, I had total catatonic couch lock and could barely move.

Aside from the crazy potent high, Frankie has a nice gassy funky smell. Classic!

Happy to add this to my collection of keeper moms. :sunglasses::peace_symbol:

12 Likes

I’m with Olive and you, one never knows what’s behindArriba|nullxnull, I really enjoyed reading all that detailed process, great job done … gimmefive

4 Likes

First Cut is the Deepest

Yesterday was a milestone for this project, the first bud harvest of this Fem Frankenstein S1 generation.

My Hilda specimen plant was harvested when I thought the buds were at a peak ripeness, THC max, a taste of CBD/CBN coming on. TBH, this was also a collision between Her being ready to stop growing and Me being ready to stop growing Her. Those times came together and I pulled out the clippers.

The trichomes were plentiful & ripening. Amber was approaching 50% on the bud leaves.

Early indications are that Frankie’s Daughter Hilda packs some potent chems. These buds will likely answer that question.

So, yeah. Harvest time for Hilda - A,

Here’s Before:

During…

And After:

Hangin @ 60F & 60%

I’ll begin wet trimming the fans tomorrow, branch by branch. Then back into the tent to let them dry till the small stems snap. After that, Trim Jail for me till we have buds in jars.

A month or two of cure then we’ll see what’s what.
-Grouchy

11 Likes