Garbage Carbon Filters

My rooms 6x6x8 tall I use a 8x30 filter . Fits perfectly in between the beams of my basement ceiling above my lights.
Beats getting your door kicked in.

9 Likes

Yeah, the CFM of the exhaust fan and filter are where they need to be. Itā€™s not that. I think I just got a shit filter.

I just checked my order history, though, and the last filter I bought was actually a Phresh filter, soā€¦ I dunno. Got a new one on the way. Iā€™m gonna check the ducting when I replace the filter, maybe thatā€™s an issue, like thereā€™s a tear somewhere that I didnā€™t notice. Although Iā€™m pretty super-anal about that kind of stuff, definitely wouldā€™ve noticed if there was a tear in the ducting when I was hooking up the filter last time. And it worked fine all the way through the last grow, so I donā€™t think thereā€™s an issue with my ducting. But Iā€™ll check it out, just to be safe.

The way I test the filter is one, just see if the tent is getting sucked in or whatever when I shut it. That seems to be the best way. And it was actually what caused me to even notice it, because the tent wasnā€™t getting sucked in. And then two, Iā€™ll just take a paper towel or a napkin or whatever and hold it up against the filter. If itā€™s working, the paper towel will stay stuck to the filter. But last time I did that, a couple days ago, the paper towel fell right off.

Whatā€™s weird is I went outside and checked to see if air was blowing out and it is, so I dunno.

@DannyTerpintine Humidity levels are fine. Theyā€™re not too high. I donā€™t think they ever got over 65% in veg, and in flower they were anywhere between 55% or so and for as low as 40%. Humidity isnā€™t the issue.

@nube Are you talking to me re: 6 x 24 being too big for my space? Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve ever used (except for the 6 x 16 Vivosun I had in there for three weeks). Seems to work fine for me. I did the math years ago, when I first set up my tent, the fan and the filter are perfect for my 5 x 5 tent. Those 6 x 24 filters are definitely big, though. A total pain in the ass to hang. I hope this one lasts me another four years, because I canā€™t stand getting in the tent and detaching and re-attaching all the ducting and shit.

4 Likes

Phresh and canfan filters are the two I can vouch for. I have tried a few lower priced ones and they were not even in the same league for longevity or for dealing with odors even when new.

4 Likes

Yeah, hopefully the Phresh filter I ordered will work out. I ordered the last one from Amazon and I think that may have something to do with it. Fuck Jeff Bezos. I donā€™t trust Amazon at all. The one I just ordered I ordered from a grow store. Maybe thatā€™ll make a difference. Iā€™ve ordered stuff from them before and itā€™s always worked out well. Weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

I actually like the 6" AC Infinity filter better than Phresh, so does my wallet :wink: after the AC, I would grab a Terrabloom

Yeah, I thought you were in a 4x4. I had an 8x24 in one of my 4x4s for years, but then I gave it away with a bunch of other stuff I sold when leaving New Mexico. Worked great, but it was fucking huge. Way oversized.

I stopped paying attention to the air exchange recommendations and CFM ratings awhile back. Like everything else in the canna industry, theyā€™re trying to convince us we need 3x more than the plants strictly need. As long as Iā€™m able to get some air exchange and cool the space down in a reasonable amount of time (assuming ambient air is also cooler), Iā€™m good. Plants donā€™t seem to care at all.

5 Likes

I also use the mountain airs for years now and they are the bomb. I was trying to get some smaller ones from them earlier this year for a couple tents but covid had them months out it sounded like for that size.

3 Likes

Will an infinity 6in and a phresh 6x24 be enough to scrub a 10x10 room. Iā€™ll have two 2x4 tents in it. Donā€™t have clearance to put in tent and donā€™t wanna push air into the filter.

Thanks

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s plenty.

4 Likes

Can I get away with a cheaper filter like the infinity or even a vivosun? The 3-4x cost of the phresh hurts but I need good smell control.

3 Likes

Iā€™d go with the infinity, and steer clear of a vivo. Phresh makes nice stuff but AC is better and cheaper. I have used both fans and filters now, I canā€™t say the actual carbon filter is better than the phresh because I have 3 carbon filters going, but theyā€™re at least comparable, and I can 100% say the AC fans are better than the Phresh Hyper fans, or at least significantly quieter while also being cheaper.

4x4 total grow area is a cinch to scrub. Overkill is always better with filtration through.

6 Likes

Yeah, do not get a Vivosun. I bought one last year because I was broke and it was done in six weeks.

2 Likes

Researching carbon filters for my 4ā€™x4ā€™ Gorilla tent. My tent will be located in a room next to where my kids sleep so I need the strongest filter on the market, and have budget to pay for quality and efficacy.

For my parameters what are folks recommending? Is Phresh considered the best?

I donā€™t use them( carbon filters) but phresh is well known brand. Get a good fan to hook to it and extra socks keep the socks clean. Thatā€™s why I say extra or make extra one. Itā€™s a prefilter but gets dirty quick.

1 Like

TY! We have lots of old wool socks I can put to work.

Ok Iā€™m gonna need to watch some YouTube vids because Iā€™m not picturing how this all works and the set up.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a pretty good experience with the vivos.

I have no experience with the more high end ones.

I only hook them up when necessary, not all the time. Iā€™m on my second one after 2 years of sporadic running.

They work but I canā€™t speak to longevity compared to other brands.

3 Likes

1050+ Australian Virgin Charcoal is supposed to be the best to use.
Iā€™d keep an eye out for filters using that. Perhaps AC Infinity?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I say get a larger filter and fan than you think you need. I have a 10" filter and fan combo on a 5*5. I rarely turn it past 25% and I think that my filter will last much longer. I think mine is terrabloom brand. Itā€™s good heavy duty stuff compared to the cheap 6" that I have.
Coming from the HVAC world I know that too much airflow is almost never a problem. And if my crop gets extra stinky or I have square guests I just turn the fan up

4 Likes

I have a couple Phresh filters. Work just fine.

Itā€™s hard to qualify what works ā€œbetterā€ since I have multiple and they are all of various ages.

2 Likes

Granular carbons the best over pelletised types as itā€™s more surface area.

1 Like