Genomics of Landraces

I’ve always liked the idea of this kind of mapping/chemotype comparison:
Classification and Nomenclature for Landrace Cannabis varieties based on the terroir, flowering duration and the relative Human impact

9 Likes

Hmm, im a bit sceptical of Indianlandraces exchanges Studies-Obsrevations.
In the Terroir Link you posted, they actually DONT mention HOW Terroir influences the plants :confused:(after a fast read). They just dont sound like very scientifical imho

2 Likes

Shit the video i linked is simply amazing.

Seen the correlation between Waterstress and no Waterstress? The overall sweetness was heightend with Waterstress, without waterstess it went thowards mineral sour taste.
Actually that reminds me of the smell of my Cannabis i planted in a soaking wet Reed… Compleetly soft sweet smell…

What i loved even more is the correlation between higher SunRadiation and floral Taste. The coolest was that sunexposure then correlated with Sandy ground, wich lead to a faster dying of lower leaves. Means i can somehow use Sandy soil, or manually cull lower leaves to imitate higher sunexposure? well thats a bit fantasyzing, but still cool.

Fuck that vid has alot very clear data. im amazed, have to look up their expensive studies, so amzing…
The effect of soil, water, radiation, all affected the taste (and the high of our beloved Cannabis too?)

5 Likes

What a great and informative thread…It is so good to have so many knowledgeable guys on this groove.
All giving opinions without malice and @GREANDAL y @romanoweed your responses are clear , making it easy to comprehend.

Well done you all.
Ain’t to old learn.

@GREANDAL As a Scotsman it’s so nice to see someone using the word. Bairns……reminds me of home.

Paz

6 Likes

Can someone smarter than me talk about sex-linked traits?

Because suuuurrrreeeee… we don’t want intersex traits in strains meant for the market and crops designated for sinsemilla production, but when we’re talmbout preserving lines — who are we to say that intersex plants hold little/no genetic material of value, and cull them out of our open-pollinations (?)

8 Likes

I loved the reverence and respect in this topic. The information in here is wonderfully entertaining, and I love how respectful these guys, in particular: GREANDAL AND Zanzibar have great information, and reason and share with each other. It sure is different to some of these discussions where I quite clearly sense some bitter animosity or discord, even though you sense polite etiquette. Team work. I loved the stimulation that a lot of these posts have had on my mind, and how happy the information has made me while reading.

When looking for information on some of these old strains, I stumbled across one called ‘Old Mother’ that really peaked my interest because of stature, and effect.

6 Likes

What does that tell me about a tropical plant vs. a temperate one? It transpires more quickly, water moves through it more quickly. You can see this in sensitivity to humidity and watering. If the space is too dry you will never provide enough water unless you control the light. Look away and it wilts. I imagine I must fly a Thai plant like a hot air balloon over the Alps, giving little bits of gas. An Afghani smiles and gives me the finger if I forget to water. It gets a tan. Remember the limestone in the French vineyards? The roots of the grapes go hundreds of feet through it to find nutrition because there is no sustenance in the tufa, but it is comprised of the compressed remains of organic matter reduced to its mineral content. The vines grow literally on the “bones” of ancient life. So they have lots of root and a convenient source of perfect proportions of minerals, perfect because they are already separated from useless or toxic ones by life, and water to bring them together. In the case of grapes the mineral content passes through into the fruit in a way that we can taste. Inspect the map of the wine regions with this in mind and correlate wines to it and :bulb:

One might infer a relationship between the fast transpiring morphology and the mineral component take up and fixation. Can that be applied to cannabis? The types you have had with the effects you’re interested in suggest that to me.

Though “terroir” is truly everything in the local environment this is why soil is considered the primary component, it is the source of all the building blocks available and the seasonal effects like available light, weather and insects are like a throttle modulating growth. Thinking he knows which flavors represent which minerals puts the smirk on the sommelier.

That said, I would research the soil where the weed with your desired effect came from, specifically the mineral content.

10 Likes

I talk too much! This is more informative than my paragraphs. :pray:

1 Like

First and foremost I don’t think I’m smarter than you by answering, or anyone else for that matter.

My thoughts: Genomics of Landraces - #9 by GREANDAL

2 Likes

I like this classification too. I’ve some disagreements regarding flowering times, but overall I agree with the synopsos.

1 Like

They go into much more info on their ig page with what changes occur, but I don’t think everything falls so neatly into place like the chart says. Good rough guide though.
@GREANDAL that’s some neat info about the grapes.

1 Like

Corporate “cardboard” is coming.

2 Likes

yes, absolutely!
however, wether it was the primitive Breeding or the Selection for the more spiritual Effects (wich i find easy to imagine), in bouth Cases it still points thowards Seclusion kind of…

but that still turns my “conclusion” on its Head. It means the key point why something so high Grade like Triweed existed wasnt the Degree of Inbreeding-Outcrossing, it was the Breeding-Style.

3 Likes

but i have to disagree tripweed looking bad, its the most beautiful plant i ever saw.

3 Likes

Lol. I hear you there.
Its so hard to pinpoint what exactly causes the trip sensations. Have you read the same thing as me, that possibly male plants were at least sometimes the source of trippy vibes?

It may have been the breeding style…or the lack of one. Hard to say. Climate may be the ultimate breeder in this case. I personally always thought that tropical jungle weed was most likely to have the trip weed plants.( Jungles mean isolation too) but then Oaxaca is a dry region( though isolated in the past)which seems to turn my theory upside down, unless Oaxaca genetics originally came from a jungle, which has been my train of thought lately.
I like the “hermies are they key” theory most. Its the one constant among all trip weed. Doesn’t the very existence of intersex traits imply primitive breeding and perhaps even isolation? ( no one showed them about reducing hermies=isolation perhaps?)
A final question…are the trip weed strains around the world all related? All descended from one mother landrace?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a mind blower! I guess the only way to confirm would be to sequence the genome of several “Trip Herb” samples and see how they relate.

2 Likes

Now you are getting there. But it isn’t as simple as that.
You are right by saying the trip comes from a common ancestor.
But the real question is why doesn’t all pot exhibit the trip as we refer to it.
Before I get to far into in. Let’ define the trip and what it means to us as an individual. @Upstate @GREANDAL @romanoweed.
Can each of you guys explain in detail what you mean by “trip”?
Any one who has planted a cannabis plant outdoors in an unprotected location, knows that something will come eat it. Rabbit and deer and countless other herbivores, and let’s not forget insects, are especially fond of the rabbit grass.
So in order for the plant to have survived for this long, it must come up with its own method of defense mechanism.
In fact multiple defense mechanisms are needed to protect the plant from the many different type of predators who would feast on it.
I look at topping as a defense mech which often goes unrecognized by others. Most animals will only eat the best of a plant which we all know is the top. So the cannabis defends itself by growing multiple tops once the original top has been damaged.
Since this event occurs early in the plant’s life, it has plenty of time to repair itself. Therefore there is no reason that the plant has to deter an animal from performing this act. In fact it can be beneficial because the plant in return produces more vegetation. Perhaps to have enough to feed the animals and still produce the necessary amount of seeds. Just a theory.
Moving forward, plant maturity comes with smells, terps, as thc production begins ramping up. I’m sure there are also many other undiscovered chemicals such as pheromones that the plant is also producing at this time. Pheromones could be the trigger that make male plants to go into pollen production. But that’s another subject for a later discussion.
While the smell attract the pollinators such as bees and what not, it also attract other more destructive species that would consume the top of the plant. So the plant defend itself by producing chemical deterrents in the form of cannabinoids.
The cannabis plants defense mechanisms are in full force for any animals or insects who choose to partake at this precious time of the plants life.
The stickiness of the plants glands is enough to keep most insects at bay. Often they become trapped, or breathing apparatuses become clogging leading to a for sure death. Furthermore who knows what effects that the chemical compounds can have on an insect’s nervous system.
To further defend against herbivores and more destructive animals, certain cannabinoids can produce a debilitating effect which can leave a predator defenseless in the elements.
Just as sap of many types of plant life can be harmful to humans, animals and insects, the cambia plant is no exception.
The degradation of the plants chemicals coincide with the time for seed dispersal. At this time the plant no longer needs to keep predators at bay. The loud sweet smell of the cannabis plant can attract animals, seed spreaders, for miles away.
Not let’s make some assumptions.

1. bigger plants not only come from areas with better nutrition, but they also come from areas that have a larger predation load to handle.
  2. Plants that have more of a debilitating effects come from areas whose animals require a higher dose. Presumably larger animals such as bovine, deer, and canids. Or these predator animals have become immune to its effects and are now attacking the plant more frequently.
  3. As the cannabis ages and the thc’s effects become more narcotics, I’m sure this has more to do with allowing the seed to pass unharmed through the animals digestive system. The cannabis plants effects on the stomach is widely known. Who’s to say that these effects don’t go even further and prevent gastric juices from harming the seeds. It’s just a theory.
    Whichever the case, a Cannabis plants trippiness, high, method of debilitation, or neurotoxic effects are most likely in tune to it’s needs as a defense mechanism so the plant can continue to spread its genetic material.
    Mans interference with the cannabis plant does little in the process to preserve genetic material.
    Once the the plants environmental cues such as natural predation are removed, the plant Is now left with no reason to defend itself.
    The possibilities are endless. Even a plants resistance to mold can be affected by it cannabinoids defense response.
    Much more research is needed to understand the plants true nature or it’s many abilities.
    While most see just see a cannabis plant, I see an entity of this planet. An entity that is governed by the laws of nature. The first law of nature is defense, the second law is propagation. Or vise versa. In any case, be fruitful and multiply. Peace.
7 Likes

This is a very interesting point. Makes a lot of sense that it would require a more potent protection in a scenario like this.

Wouldn’t smaller plants in those environments potentially have the more potent chemo types though? Since the survivors have had to do “more” to survive with less vegetation?

For instance: string of pearls phenos like @Upstate ‘s Old Silver Sides Oaxacan?

2 Likes

i see what your theoryzing. Without any “survival in the wild” Stimulus the cultivars get weak.

look, i think youre jumping on @Upstate `s “Tripweed may be less selected” Theory.

And i have no Problem. Its possible that survival-traits are Part of Equation. However: the more feral (wild) strains are said to be weak.

your thinking is cool, and interesting. but i think i have nothing on Hand that promotes this theory.

Are you just reversing the “Mendel guys” idea, that stabilized Lines are “improoved”. Cause i myselve am sceptical about their claims too. Doesent mean i jump on the opposite Theory, thinking the more wild, the better…

70s Landraces are all selected
It is a wide believe that our beloved Cultivars in general (food Plants) became good trough domestication. Per example Strawberry: the Humans selected for Ages- it became bigger… Compared to its wild Relatives.

But thats just size… yeah, some other Species became more sweet. I think wild Apples are pretty sour… The selected ones are Sweet… So, in general man formed the wild Species acording their Taste. Often it became better… Im not talking of Inbreed modern Food wich tastes like shit, im talking of Landraces before the 70s, before “Mendel depressed Pressure-resitant Tomatos”…

Those old 70s Landraces were formed acording Mans Taste (bigger, sweeter, better) . In a good way. Ever eaten old landrace food? Its an explosion of Taste in your mouth…

So, find Evidence for your Theory , i cant provide it. I think very few have such detailled Knowledge. I think you would have bigger Chances finding such Landrace Studies for Food Plants , and compare it to Cannabis.

Robert Clarke speaks of different Stages/Degrees of Domestication … but i cant take knowledge out of it, cause i havent smoked his tested Strains. and compared the effect…
I sent him an email once… lol. he doesent respond to me

2 Likes

But your Theory is overall very nice,

2 Likes