Genomics of Landraces

I have observed this and the moon is only part of it even Saturn, Jupiter and Venus and I know it sounds crazy as shit and I don’t fully understand it yet but I’m working on it

This is where you learn about all the cosmic forces come into play :slight_smile: happy reading further down the rabbit whole

3 Likes

Flowering times should be within a 25%-33% range in my opinion, from what I have seen. Example…
8-10 weeks
10-13 weeks
12-16 weeks
16-20+ weeks
18-25 weeks
more than this would suggest outcrossing.
The more inbred a population, the more stable the flowering time.

4 Likes

Doesn’t morphology also play a part in phenotype?

That’s a very good question, because if it all came from one seed / or migrated from one place one would think that through there is a ton of “dormant” genes and how one “wakes them up” is another good question that I find myself asking quite often lol

1 Like

Ability of nutrients and oxygen is going to play the biggest roll in morphology.
Then there is the confusion of the strain being raised outside of its normal, or usual elements.
Besides everyone has their own ideal of what a cannabis plants should look, smell, taste, and yield like. Some make the effort to see their dream come to life, while others will wait and be happy with what they already have in possession.
Some will settle in when their grow tech is able to produces what they are looking for.
Often they become complacent and unwilling to accept any new changes.
At that point the evolutionary components of the plant/ cross becomes hindered either because the breeder is attempting to get it to produce what they prefer, but with the stability of plants produced by nature.
Nature has been working hard for us for a long time. therefore a breeder shouldn’t expect to see his vision of what he/she thinks a coda is plant should be in just a few crosses or breedings. That’s where the process takes dedication and time. Add a little love to the process and who knows…. Maybe something magical will appear.

1 Like

did somebody say terroir?

4 Likes

In answering this I think it is important to clear up a few myths surrounding landrace genetics and what exactly is a landrace.

First of all, cannabis and the Superrosid clade have been continually cultivated by humans for the past 100,000 years. With this information it is clear that any notion of a wild landrace is erroneous. All “wild type” landraces are nothing more than feral domestic cultivars.

So what then is a landrace and where did they come from? History tells us that the ancient Chinese cultivated heirloom cannabis clones but had very poor breeding stock. There was a large industry in ancient China devoted to the production of hash from these highly valued cuts. So then, ancient Chinese genetics aren’t landraces.

Landraces. As cannabis spread from ancient China through Southern Asia and across Arabia there was a general milleau about proper breeding and cultivation technique, the mistakes of the past, which resulted in poor breeding stock weren’t to be repeated. This is what a landrace is. A landrace is a specific cultivar, from post ancient China that was cultivated and tended in a manner to preserve and foster the genetics of the plant. Again, a landrace is a plant that is cultivated for continued healthy production and breeding of the cultivar. It is meant and breed with the intent of it being around FOREVER.

So in comes Alexander the Great and “modern cannabis”. Alexander the Great prescribed many methods and techniques for the breeding and cultivation of cannabis. He went even further in instruction on how to breed and cross different cannabis cultivars and phenos in order to produce the most stable yet diverse cannabis cultivars. These modern cannabis cultivars, as begun with Alexander the Great ARE NOT landraces, but modern heirloom cultivars.

So a landrace cultivar, is a cultivar that was produced and breed during the period following ancient China but before Alexander the Great, during the period where cannabis was spreading through the ancient world. :grin: :wink:

So preservation of landraces is as simple as following the ancient techniques, that have been used in the cultivation of the landrace throughout the millenia. This amounts to nothing more than healthy breeding and cultivation practices…but at this point any particular landrace cultivar isn’t breed but maintained. Modern preservation techniques such as mass cloning and tissue cultures can aid us in preserving individual plants from these landrace populaces.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

I would like to point out for everyone’s knowledge just how bad Chinese breeding stock really is…I mean it is absolutely horrendous; don’t every breed with it…

But, so when I was running this large op we NEVER ran Chinese genetics…EVER…so along the way someone thought they had a Chinese cultivar that would beat the spread…would preform well in our breeding program, :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. So we crossed it in, GUESS WHAT??, IT TOTALLY RUINED THE LOT WE WERE RUNNING, we had to throw everything out and start over from before we added in the Chinese stuff…lost about 18 months of breeding time…

Be fore-warned folks, :wink::grin::yum:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like landraces are heirlooms, adapted over generations, to their particular terroir. It seems like natural conditions are as much a part of the selection process as human intervention.

6 Likes

Landrace is a term that wasn’t coined for cannabis but for plants and animals in general. To me ”landrace” is not so much about genetics of plants but about people and culture. See the definition of a landrace doesn’t specify how it should look, smell, taste or what kind of effect it should have. The term ”landrace” points to the fact that the particular group of plants/animals one is talking about have become part of a culture. I like the wikipedia definition which says (a landrace is) ”… a domesticated, locally adapted, traditional variety…”. It’s a simple and easy to understand definition. It is cultivated by humans (domesticated) and it has become acclimatized to the local environment as well as it has become a part of a culture as in a part of a community where they grow the variety season after season. The term Sativa is also a definition term that basically means that it’s ”cultivated” as in by humans, not wild.

7 Likes

but… how come you say the term landrace doesent say how it looks.

• if i say: i got a strain from Thailand, then it could be anything, a couchlock hybrid from USA… or a mindaltering uplifting smoke. Could nbe anything

• if i say i got a 70s landrace form Thailand, then it most probably means a uplifting mindaltering sativa…

But hey, i dont want to talk about those shematic things.
Because its that simple: IF terroir shapes a Strain over the centuries, and IF in the good old days there was not much hybridisation happening, atleast rarely, and IF we therefore etablish wether or not the best trippest , fantasyfull smoke was infact not outcrossed, THEN we could hypothisze that any Landrace smokeexperience is infact in a way related to the Region.

We could then say that Landrace Thai per example is like this or like that.

The word Landrace with a Region-tag therefore suits to describe alot (namely all the things we associate with Thaiweed) if Terroir and regional inbreeding is really the case. IF…

THATS MY OPPINION. NO CLAIM.

1 Like

You are free to present evidence that points thowards culture beeing the all and everything. I presented small evidence wich points thowards terroir beeing part of why things are like they are.

1 Like

whether or not the word was used for this or that first, hey i dont know…

But Landrace includes the term Race… Wich means simply that something is similar to itselve. Where one Race is like this, another Race is like that, so Race means “everyone in a group is similar, and moreso then to the other Group / Race”

Both part of the culture and part of the ecosystem, as often as not.

1 Like

Look even at Humans: Black humans are mostly around equator, the more northern the whiter… So, im fascinated that even Humans show terroir… Atleast for this trait. i dunno hey whats the discussion about anyway.

1 Like

hey, we talked before and rarely do I understand what you mean, and this time, like the last times, you didn’t understand what I meant at all it seems and as always that is totally fine. The term landrace was the point, not cannabis ok. Re-read what I wrote or just ignore it, up to you! My post wasn’t addressed to you but as it is your thread I understand you feel ownership of the topic. I said what I said in very general terms, about the term ”landrace”, not about all cannabis…

2 Likes

like I said ”it’s more about people than cannabis” you thought I said ”culture is all and everything”… we don’t speak the same ”language” hence this isn’t going to be any place where I ”prove” anything, please carry on with your thing whatever it is!

1 Like

and no, I wasn’t at all talking about people and race… by the way

You can define different kinds of ”landrace” cannabis but that won’t ever define the what the term ”landrace” means… get it?

i tend to see it that way, yes terroir PLUS culture :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

then just paste copy the links with evidence.

So i understand after re-rereading that you pointed to the idea that the term Landrace had another meaning once, namely it pointed soley to the effect of peoples , culture and Craft of forming a Strain or Animal.
ok.
Overall, im unshure if anyone really knows the full extent of a word, even if he does. Well, people have different views and insights. I have no insight, and remain neutral, i dont know anything… Only some small hits and bits i have.

2 Likes