Getting older

I used to be a drunk and I was also sober for many years. I am no longer a drunk or sober. If I drink when I want I soon get bored with it and quit to do something else. @Foreigner . I also hate people expecting me to go along with the crowd, but Im just hard to get along with. :rofl:

5 Likes

ā€œYou use your drug of choice and Iā€™ll use mine.ā€

5 Likes

Itā€™s odd isnā€™t it? We could drink ourselves to death and no one would blink an eye. Yet if we smoke ā€œthe devils lettuceā€ weā€™re pieces of shit? Make it make sense.

I had relapsed recently and I hated every minute of it. I became more absent in my friendships and with my family. Stayed at my desk having drink after drink for the whole month until I could pass out. I couldnā€™t even hold a proper conversation with my friends during that period of time so I hid away in my room. Iā€™m glad I got out of that rut as I dislike that side of me. It ended a 8 month sobriety streak but I know this time around iā€™ll beat my 2 year streak. About to hit 3 weeks sober and life has already become exponentially better. Iā€™m resuming therapy and taking my group counseling even more seriously this time around. Weā€™ve all got this. Keep on keeping on my fellow OGs.

11 Likes

So far my late 30s into 40s has been the best eraā€¦Most lessons learned are behind me. I have a little bit of wisdom and not broken down yet. Not a bad place to be.

5 Likes

I should have quit 5 years earlier but it is what it is.

3 Likes

Depending on where you are, it can be here too.

2 Likes

Coming up on 2 years. I doubt Iā€™ll ever take another sipā€¦ probably spent 10-15 years of my life either drunk or waiting to drinkā€¦ it was mostly functional drinking/self medication ā€¦ hard and fast into blackout starting every night at 7pmā€¦ work through the day, barely make itā€¦ repeat.

Smoking always amplified the panicky withdrawal feeling so it never helped.

Now I smoke weed and thatā€™s itā€¦ itā€™s funny how looked down on that is compared to my past routineā€¦ for the most part, Iā€™ve probably never been healthier.

8 Likes

Not to generalize but alcohol = bad.

At least for me.

7 Likes

It leads down the same road every timeā€¦ thereā€™s no balance with it for me personally.

3 Likes

Yes I agree to no balance.

Iā€™d love to have 1 cigarette a day but it doesnā€™t work that way.

3 Likes

I was in love with the feeling Id get after slamming x amount ā€¦ it checks the comfortably numb box perfectlyā€¦ but it only lasts for maybe 45 minutes and Iā€™m outā€¦ then the entire rest of my existence revolves around getting back to that 45 minute state. And everything else about it sucksā€¦ effects on the body, family, etc.

Itā€™s not good.

4 Likes

Yes I hear you. Itā€™s a constant mission.

3 Likes

Iā€™m smoking 1 cig every hour now.
Just doing that cut down 75 percent.
Quitting was always hard.
Iā€™m going to increase to 1.5 hours soon.
I failed so many times, this way I can
Cure the Jones and milk my way off.
Itā€™s stupid but having that cig to look forward to
In an hour is what keeps me going.
I can take an hour, but quiting forever all at once
Has never been possible in my experience.
33.3 percent habit I think
33.3 percent dependency i think
33.3 percent just pure joy LOL
Started in a tobacco field at age 12
Every about tobacco I grew up with
And Iā€™m ashamed to say it but

Damn a cig is good shit. Like I love to smoke.
Thatā€™s been an issue for a long time.

But I have cut way back and with determination
I will be down to 1 cig every 2 hours by months end

4 Likes

ā€œTaking 5 minutesā€ is better than nicotine. Make a point to take 5 minutes an hour to escape and, I dunno, walk.

6 Likes

Works been helpful that way, I find something to do
And keeps my mind distracted

4 Likes

When I quit I told Mrs Foreigner that I was going to be an asshole for 10 days but itā€™s for the greater good.

6 Likes

@Foreigner . Are you saying that you quit 5 days ago? :rofl:

4 Likes

No im just an insufferable asshole on the best of days.

4 Likes

Addiction is no joke, get the physical and mental help you need from the doctors. I used chantix to quit nicotine. They are very glad to give them out. They want you to. Lots of places itā€™s free. They want you to quit. Itā€™s cheaper to pay for it now, over what the substance will do to you later.

Sometimes itā€™s as easy as your insurance, Medicare/ medicaid, but if you donā€™t have insurance look at your local health departments webpage.
Im a health educator, if youā€™re comfortable sharing personal info with me I will help you look up the info you need. Nicotine, alcohol, opioids, gambling etc I can help you find resources. Itā€™s that important.

Be well yā€™all

2 Likes

Lidsā€¦hmm I swear there were no 2 folks selling lids at the same weight. We learned pretty early on to buy from peeps that sold by weight and we had or trust little pocket scale to see if we were getting beat. A lid was always less than an ounce here but more than a half ounce. 20 to 21 gā€™s on average.
Re scalesā€¦my dad was a high school chemistry teacher and I can clearly remember the complaining he was doing about all his triple beam scales going missing all the time, lol. I said nothing, lol.

5 Likes