Giving Back To The Community

@pookie123 Giving is what life should be about, but let me make it clear - I’m no breeder. I reserve that word for someone who has many years of focused, intentional experience with a lot of males and females, and I use it only to describe those who actively test their progeny before release, such as these strains.

The breeders who sell gear at a fair price are few and far between. I’m mostly surprised that people sell untested F1 or F2 in small packs. Talk about a scam. I’m also surprised people fall for the hype strains. Like the 15% stuff that looks pretty decent, but has almost no smell, no flavor, and no potency punch. That shit is selling for hundreds of dollars a clone, or $500 for a pack of seeds. It’s a scam. Sometimes the clouds of ambition obscure our judgment.

Although I appreciate the good vibes, I don’t have aspirations of making money, only of sharing with and caring for one another. I’ve only conducted pollen chucking experiments so far. Nothing too scientific or too focused. I come from a family of real-life farmers, and that’s why I grow in pure organic recycled soil. I never modify or filter my pics - they’re straight from the lens of my shitty LG G3 phone camera. You don’t have to have fancy methods, equipment, or genetics to grow and show deliciousness.

35 Likes

is this a facebook group or something? how to participate? i have a few strains i’d like to preserve as well.

9 Likes

Could not have said it better myself! Thanks for the kind words also! Beautiful project you have going on there! Thank you for documenting it and sharing it!

4 Likes

I’m always impressed by the sharing spirit of this community. Be it through sharing knowledge, genetics, or even equipment. It’s a rare thing any more. It’s thanks to the kindness of people here that I’m growing some quality genetics now and not some mid-grade bag seed!

Keep on Overgrowin’!

@nube: Can you give a little more info about this group? Does it exist already or is it just an idea? How does one join as a donor or find someone to sponsor them?

7 Likes

I’m also interested in your pay it forward program. Cant contribute anything yet but hopefully I’ll be able to once I am able to do some pollen chucking…

4 Likes

Pay It Forward is a group of chuckers and breeders brought together by the common belief that canna genetics should be freely shared, not hoarded.

Guiding Principles

1. The point is to Pay It Forward. This is NOT about creating another super secret canna cabal. There are two tiers of members: donors and recipients. Donors get first dibs on donations.

2. To participate as a donor, you gotta donate at least 10 packs of 10 seeds for each cross. This is to ensure at least some current members have a shot at getting desirable packs.

3. Your donations to the group are done with no expectations of any sort other than one: Please truthfully cite your source(s) if you do breed with these genetics. You understand that this means if somebody wants to sell crosses they make from seeds you donated to the vault, they’re free to, without any restrictions or expectations on either end. Ever.

4. While one person’s trash may be another person’s treasure, nobody wants to smoke hemp. Therefore, you should have run whatever you donate, or have grow reports of other people running it. At the very least, you gotta post pics and smoke/grow report of the parents of your cross. This info should be posted when you donate. More info is better.

5. This is a democracy. Kinda like the UN Security Council, every donor has full veto power. Use it if you feel strongly that some new donor or recipient should not be part, but be prepared to back it up with more than “he smells bad.”

6. All new recipients must be sponsored by a donor to join - recipients can’t sponsor. You want somebody to join? You gotta vouch for them.

7. The whole point of Pay It Forward is about sharing. No money is to change hands. Shipping the beans/cuts will be handled by the people who donate them. You gotta agree to that if you want to participate as a donor.

8. Recipients can be anyone in the US or Canada, but preferably new growers or those in need. Once sponsored, they get to pick from our catalog of donated chucks, preservation projects, and cuts. They pick one they’d like to run, and they message the donor of that variety to request it. The donor handles the communication and shipping, as well as support after shipment, with absolutely no money changing hands, ever. Never ever.

The Pay It Forward group has been around for a year, and it has a few active members so far. It’s hosted over at the BreedBay.co.uk forums, but the site is down for maintenance now. I dunno how long the site’s downtime will last, but go ahead and msg me if you’re interested and we’ll figure out the logistics of sharing. :slight_smile:

@legalcanada @miyagi @KingGhidora @pookie123

24 Likes

cool i have same name on that forums as well, haven’t really browsed it much tho. are you a britbonger then?

3 Likes

It’s really nice to see this happen after watching a certain well-known ‘breeder’ whose name rhymes with pubfool. :head_bandage:

3 Likes

It won’t be long now. :slight_smile:

@legalcanada I’m a Yank, but I joined BreedBay to post all my bodhi tester grows. I’ve posted some other stuff, but I think all in all I’ve posted around 8 separate growlogs over there. Sometimes it helps to get b’s input directly.

Who knows how long it’ll be down. I hope not too long, because that site has incredible growlog archives of a lot of breeder’s gear.

For those of you who haven’t already, if you’d like to get in touch, might as well do so here. :slight_smile: I’m guessing I’ll prolly take these at or around day 70. Another 18 days to ripen should be good for the beans. Many are browning and earning their stripes.

I like symmetry.

:v:

28 Likes

Twins. Oh crap there went my imagination. :toilet:

6 Likes

I was gonna save my first post for the intro page after getting a feel for the site, but after reading your posts I had to say… kudos @nube. Like it seems others do, I agree with your sentiments throughout this thread completely.

Ok, see y’all at the intro thread soon

11 Likes

Interesting thread about meaningful initiatives…

Probably going to be interesting articles on the topic below:

BREEDERS’ RIGHTS AND THE PRESERVATION OF CANNABIS CULTIVARS – PART 2

6 Likes

a canadian received breeders rights on a strain called Big C in 2014. not sure if that was the first case or even the most recent case. guess i should check the CFIA website.

https://news.lift.co/canada-copyright-cannabis/

5 Likes

This was mentioned somewhere else on here.

2 Likes

@fly007 thank you very much for honoring me with your first post! Welcome to OverGrow! The place grows on you, and the people are pretty cool too. :slight_smile:

The beans are getting close now.

Haha man, here’s more of them. I defoliated a little, but they’re still looking good!

Thanks for this. I have some background here, and some thoughts.

It’s a colonial view of plant intellectual property. Doesn’t apply to almost any recent cannabis strains because they are not uniform or stable enough to meet the big ag definitions, regardless of how inbred they are. They’re also not distinctly new, especially if we consider it from the perspective of prior art and patents. That’s part of your “gray area.”

Big ag definitions for this are the applicable standard and precedent. Cannabis strains/cultivars/crosses perform so vastly different in different terroir, that I don’t think they’d ever be covered and enforced by these protections.

Speaking of enforcement, I see no mention of mechanisms or remedies, only parties. In the US, this whole notion don’t have no teeth fer weed “cultivars.” Maybe some rando gamed the system for one of these designations up north, but I can’t see how it could withstand any challenge, unless your brief is lacking key components of the Canuck statutes.

Also, the link at the bottom of part 1 doesn’t work. Get the editor to paste in the full URL, not just the abbreviated text.

Lastly, the whole idea of breeder’s rights couldn’t apply in this situation, even if they were applicable to cannabis and enforceable, as bodhi has gone on record stating that he fully authorizes anyone to use any of his commercially-released strains for any crossbreeding, without limitation or restraint, specifically mentioning he encourages people to make F2 to share with or sell to anyone (per applicable rules/regs in your country/state/locale, etc etc, yadda yadda yadda).

30 Likes

Super glad I checked back in! A lot of great progress made and even an ethos. This is a what OG and forum family is all about. It’s crazy how much a commodity seeds and clones have become. I remember back in the day when the seed game didn’t have the flash of instagram. Bid wars over hype strains on so called “charity auctions” which seem like nothin more than a cash grab. Selling of tester packs, it’s just sorry to see. Keep it up Nube, really looks like some killer genetics you’re passing around. Would love to do a swap sometime!

Best
Swampy

14 Likes

@nube PART 2 is how you go around and prevent that colonial view of plant IP.

3 Likes

I appreciate the sentiment @Strainly , and thank you for the information. I’m glad that somebody’s carrying the torch. However, I think the mere act of publishing info about your crosses/chucks/cultivars satisfies the criteria of public domain. Here, there, or anywhere.

While it does seem similar to what I’ve discussed here, your platform is more of a cannabis genetics sales & distribution tool, and I’m not currently interested in that. Thank you for informing me, tho. I never would have known about it without your posts. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

@nube pretty sure that posting only the name of your strain and some photos on disseminated forums is not enough protection to be honest…

The agencies delivering the patents don’t consult those forums (they don’t even know them). Once the patent is issued, you can fight it but at your expense. So proactivity is critical here. And proactivity means putting your strains in a database where patent agencies (USPTO in the US) consult prior to issuing a patent. When they notice your strain and its traits (phenotypes, chemotypes, etc.) is in the public domain, they decline the application and you don’t have to fight the overreaching patent.

Proactivity also means making any patenting attempt irrelevant in the cannabis cultivars world, and cutting the ground under the foot of the Monsantos etc. Cause once they have patented plants, they will lobby the different regulators to make your landrace and hybrids illegal for “safety reasons” (check what they’re doing in France and Pennsylvania for heirloom tomatoes and all crops…)

Few people really realize what it is about. Some people say, “they can’t take my seeds from my hands”. No, but they can make the use of your non-patented seeds illegal and force you to buy their seeds if you wanna stay out of trouble.

Farmers get sued all over France and other European countries for sharing and growing heirloom seeds that are not in the cultivar journal, maintained by the ministry of agriculture. That journal (or registry) of approved cultivars in almost exclusively composed of cultivars from Monsanto, Bayer, Syngenta… and their subsidiaries. They managed to do that step-by-step, when farmers where saying “they can’t take my heirloom tomatoes away”. Thing is, once governments made the sale of heirloom tomatoes illegal for “sanitary” reasons, those farmers had no choice to grow the patented seeds.

We just don’t want that to happen again for cannabis cultivars.

17 Likes

@Strainly, that is just the reason we are a part of the Overgrow community.

@nube My package arrived today mate, have already started a small seed run of some different stuff and will hand some out when they are ready.

14 Likes