Goji OG Community Preservation Run & Beyond

Looking good! That seed husk clinging to the stem is a trip. Doesn’t know when to let go. :v:t2::joy::call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Ha! I know eh?! It kind of reminded me of this…

9 Likes

Ethos does it alot.

1 Like

Some exciting developments to update you all on. Remember those two seeds that didn’t pop?? Well I was poking around in my grow room last night and BAM! I suddenly remembered that I had left them in the paper towel within the baggie to germinate and hadn’t checked them in over a week!! I hadn’t really given up on them but also at the same time totally forgot about them. When I opened it up look what I found?! One of them had successfully germinated!! Although it looked to be in rough shape it was holding on. I quickly hydrated a jiffy pellet and placed it in the tent… Not looking promising but I just have a good feeling about it!

This morning I opened the tent to find this: LIFE FINDS A WAY!!

I’d like to introduce you to the lazyhead who just didn’t feel like popping out of bed until a week after everyone else! Showing up fashionably late… GOJI #10 has arrived!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I’ll keep a close eye on the little fella but it’s definitely thrown a wrench into my grow timeline a little bit. Either way I’m happy to have a 10th show up. You never know what it might turn into but I have a good feeling about it. If it turns into a keeper plant I’m naming it …

“The Phoenix Cut”
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 1.12.56 PM

The other nine are coming along nicely. A few of them are getting a bit top heavy so I had to build some restraints but overall looking healthy with good growth rates! A bit light in colour if I’m being honest so I’ve been spoon feeding very small amounts of soy aminos for nitrogen. I may bump that up this week. Looking to up pot within the next 7-10 days.

This is Day 14 since the seeds got wet:

Before #10 showed up #2 was my favourite. It’s the perfect little seedling with a stout stem, sturdy leaves and the perfect height. I’ve got my eye on that one too. Anyway, as you were.

Happy Friday!!

29 Likes

“the phoenix cut”. Resilience in form of a plant…
:clap::clap::open_mouth:

Happy Friday

:om: :prayer_beads:

3 Likes

I like the Phoenix moniker. Totally appropriate :v:t2:

2 Likes

Happy Friday!

The veg tent is getting packed as these plants are starting to bulk up. The stems are becoming thicker and much more sturdy, no longer requiring support. I am noticing stretchy and squat phenotypes and have been watching the leaves and stems closely. Goji 10 is still hanging in there but is not much of a stretcher. I am worried there may have been some damage to the stem from being left in the germination bag but it seems to be doing ok so far and growing nicely for only 7 days in soil.

Goji 10

Looking healthy in here

The flowering space has been thoroughly sprayed down from top to bottom, cleaned, vacuumed, scrubbed and blasted with UV light to sterilize any contaminants or left over pollen. The pots are all ready to go and the soil is being acclimatized before transplanting.

The bottom half of the soil has been amended with a mix mimicking the Build A Soil craft blend mix. I added just 2 tablespoon to the bottom 1 gallon of soil for an added boost as they grow bigger. Less is more. I also amended all the soil with some Insect Frass that I get from a local supplier here called Black Swallow Living Soils. I can honestly say that I’ve had really good success with this stuff and believe it really does help the plant increase its pest resistance.

My game plan from here is to transplant and wait a few days for recovery (if any needed). I’ll top the plants and clone the tops. I’ll wait 5-7 days then flip the lights to 12/12. I’m going for a sea of green style here and have to watch my head space to I don’t want these plants getting away from me.

Enough rambles. More to come!

24 Likes

Looking awesome man! Really stoked to watch this go off.

1 Like

I have heard that a protein in insect frass, chitosan maybe, stimulates cannabis to produce more trichomes than would otherwise form.

3 Likes

I’m actually not too sure about that but I this is what I have in my notes about it:

Insect Frass: Loaded with diverse amino acids, beneficial microbes and chitin (pronounced ‘ki-ton’) which helps activate the plant’s systemic acquired resistance (SAR) and boosts it’s defense mechanisms. You can also get chitin from crustacean meal. This product is good to use in compost teas (¼ to ½ cup per gallon), as a top dressing on plants every 2-3 weeks and to add right to the soil (1 cup per cubic foot) when you are mixing a batch.

On to the update! I want to preface this by assuring you that all the plants are doing well, with some minor hiccups. Details to follow.

I missed Fridays update as I was a little busy last week so my last update was 10 days ago. It’s been an eventful 10 days. As you can see from the picture above the plants started to outgrow my little veg space so I repotted on Monday, Nov 22nd. Probably a little early but they were getting crowded. As mentioned earlier I used a UV light to blast the flowering side of my tent. The UV light omits something called Ozone which “damages plants by entering leaf openings called stomata and oxidizing (burning) plant tissue during respiration. This damages the plant leaves and causes reduced survival.” My plan was to leave the light on without the exhaust fan on for 5 minutes. I sat down to do some work, forgot to set a timer and an hour later snapped to attention, ran to the tent and flipped on the AC Infinity to full blast. It would prove to be a little too late and as of about 8-9 days ago I started noticing some speckles in the leaves:

A few days later and mostly all the older growth on the plants looked like this:

Oops! Shit happens right? They took a few days but on Thursday of last week they started turning around. I’ve been babying them all week and they are really starting to take off now.

I’m planning on taking some more detailed notes about every single pheno and documenting it in here a little more thoroughly. That will be in the next update. For not here are some pics.

Repot Day. Using a bit of Black Swallow EWC to sprinkle in the holes and aloe in the water.

Not looking the happiest. A bit of transplant shock + you can really see the burnt leaves here:

A day later and having a little rebound!

New growth looking good:

Goji 10 (The Phoenix) getting stronger.

As of yesterday:

And then today:

Goji 10

I was afraid I had burned them last week with a diluted compost tea I made so I held off for a week but decided to feed them an EM1 feeding last night after learning that Ozone was the actual cause of the burn. Just look at this comparison and growth from 24hrs. The pic on the left is yesterday and the right is today. Just look how much those leaves in the middle have pushed out in one single day! This was after one light feeding of EM1. Essential microbes to the rescue!

Waiting until the tops get a little taller before taking cuttings from each plant. This will take place in the next few days. I’ve been checking to see if they’re showing sex and still nothing. WIll take more pics and notes for next posting.

20 Likes

Looking good @NorthNorthNugs so is that UV light an IPM implement? Or is that serving another purpose?

1 Like

Thanks Legs! Well, as I originally understood, it’s good for cleaning and disinfecting things. I had a run where I had some issues with PM and one plant go intersex on me a little over a year ago so I bought it so that I could kill all the remaining pollen and hopefully clean the tent. A breeder I follow on IG recommended it and I have to say that it works quite well except it’s a really dangerous device. I don’t expose my skin or eyes to the light nor do I breath in any of the ozone it emits. Typically after I use it the tent smells brand new… it’s pretty crazy. You’re suppose to exhaust the ozone after a few minutes of it running. I also don’t expose any of my plants or anything living to the light.

5 Likes

thats crazy, i was wondering if itd like fry the fuck out of these fungus gnats or not, but i do like the idea of being able to clean the tent, i typically try to pull everything out and wipe down/vacuum every couple of weeks, but thats not super consistent. might have to check this out, although the radiation/ozone/burning plants and skin thing is a little concerning. im sure its like other stuff though where if you know how to use it you’re probably fine.

3 Likes

haha I’m not sure if it will “fry the fuck” out of the gnats in the way that we all want hahaha but shit, that would be nice wouldn’t it?! Plus you’d kill your plants in the process so that would suck. Honestly though if you took your plants out and trapped a bunch of gnats in there I don’t think they’d survive it!

Ya I got mine from Amazon. The one that was recommended to me cost $500… fuck that shit. I found a bulb on amazon and purchased a single socket with a long cord for around $50 I think. I set it up in the tent, close it, then leave the room the tent is on and set it on a time to come on for an hour and then turn off. I’m probably more cautious than average but cancer scares me lol.

edit: the one I have is similar to this: https://www.amazon.ca/U-V-C-Light-254nm-Germicidal-Covers/dp/B08ZJL3PWW/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=UV+Germicidal+Lamp+UVC+with+Ozone+Light+Bulb+E26+25w+110v+Cleans+Air&qid=1638286345&sr=8-7

4 Likes

Moving along with the preservation run. The soil was topped with a 1/4 cup of a dry amendment mix that mimics build-a-soil’s craft blend mix. I purchase all my amendments from Black Swallow soil here in Canada and weigh out/mix my own blend due to the fact that Black Swallow is local and awesome. I then added an inch or two of worm castings and watered everything in and added a sprinkle of ground up organic malted barley seed.

As we head into flip, here’s a rundown on the phenos I’m working with so far:

PHENO 1

• Mostly green stem with purple striping
  • Medium height, medium nodal spacing
  • Slightly lighter green and smallest fans than all other fan leaves
  • minimum to no branching yet, slow growth in veg, not showing very much vigour

PHENO 2

• More squat than number 1, tight nodal spacing
  • Large green fans, looking healthy
  • Branching looking strong and healthy and more developed than number 1
  • Fatter fan leaves
  • Strong thick stem mostly green with minimal purple stripes

PHENO 3

• Tall pheno, very stretchy node spacing
  • Branching is fair but not overly developed
  • More purple striping on the stem

PHENO 4

• Medium height, medium node spacing
  • Fan leaves are med-large and dark green, looking healthy
  • Slightly more narrow leaves than others

PHENO 5

• Medium to tall pheno, longer node spacing
  • Most narrow fan leaves in the group with very pronounced ridges
  • Branching is long and way more developed than any other pheno and looks like it really wants to grow horizontally rather than vertically (bush structure)
  • Bottom branching already reaching second node where most others are hardly grown out at all

PHENO 6

• Medium height, largest fans of all phenos
  • Healthy, fat, dark green fans
  • Nodal spacing is tight but it’s not too short… perfect height structure
  • Branches are healthy and shooting out
  • Mostly green stem with minimal purple striping

PHENO 7

• Same height and structure as number 7 but nodes are slightly more spaced
  • Fans are also very similar to number 7
  • Weird zig zag thing going on at the top of the stem, kinda neat though
  • This one is the closest to the humidifier and will be rotated around from here on out as fans are showing signs of a bit of damage from moist air

PHENO 8

• Tallest pheno with largest nodal spacing
  • Branching looking good but lanky structure
  • Fans are more narrow with pronounced ridges
  • This was the pheno with the most vigour, just wanted to be the tallest
  • Stem is green with more pronounced purple stripes

PHENO 9

• Second tallest, also very stretchy
  • Not as vigorous as number 8 but close
  • Fan leaves are a little more fat than number 7
  • Mostly green stem with slight purpling

PHENO 10

• Keep in mind this pheno is 1 week behind all others
  • Very squat structure, has barley stretched at all
  • Only at 3 nodes and not too much to observe at the moment

So that is my write up for the phenos before I get to flip. Which ones do you think are males/females? Could be a fun game to play.

After the amendments I topped the plants to the 3rd node the next night. This was difficult to do but I need to keep these plants at a reasonable size. I will wait a bit and flip the lights after they start showing more vigour again, maybe in 5-7 days.

I made a gel from my aloe flakes to coat the stems then I dipped them in rooting powder. Some of the clones are really short but I have faith! Worse comes to worse I will take the bottom branches off a week after flip. It’s worked for me in the past.

27 Likes

nice writeup @NorthNorthNugs i always go with the tried and true “the tall ones are probably boys” guess when it comes to the gender game. :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice pheno breakdown! I like 5 a lot - the pronounced ridges look is cool. One of my short stocky phenos has a similar look, interesting that yours is more of a medium node spacing pheno.

3 Likes

damn i need that …

3 Likes

Awesome writeup @NorthNorthNugs !

Which pheno is catching your eye so far?

4 Likes

I would say 2, 5, 6 & 10 have me taking second glances. The branching on 5 is cool… like it just wants to spread out. I find those are really easy plants to grow. 2 is so sturdy and just looks really strong and then 6 really has it all in terms of structure. Tight nodal spacing but medium to tall in height, seems vigorous and healthy with good branching. Obviously I’m just routing for 10 because it already has a good back story.

I’m getting really interested to see which ones are which sex.

9 Likes