Goji OG seedrun

Certainly not good to hear but thanks for sharing the info.

4 Likes

i believe more stable conditions would have reduced the number of hermies/traits/nanners. but thats just a guess and based on the fact the parents were originally culled as per this seed run. so these should be able to run better on more stable hands.

Im still excited about them, theres something to them (maybe the hype lol), but i do think i will be growing/exploring Goji again

11 Likes

Thats fair enough. With all the hermie issues these will drop to the bottom of my list but that’s just me. With so many stable strains out there I am not in a hurry to try my luck, lol. Appreciate the honest feedback though, it makes all the difference. At least folks know what they may be getting into.

9 Likes

Didnt read whole thread, but if your talking Goji F1 from Bodhi, its stable. Run 50 of em, never seen any issues. My inviroment is stable however

6 Likes

Ive run F1, F2, outcross, and IX of Goji and never had herms.

Is it just one person’s F2’ing that caused herms, or is this something that pops up in different F2 batches?

4 Likes

its about F2s, ill include that in the post.

i know of several others who have reported this on other forums and even on this run i believe there were some that hermied (c6 and c10 maybe, @catapult can confirm if im mistaken on this tho) and got culled from the breeding project. also, on the top of my head syzygy (og member) had issues with it too from a 2017 F2 run.

so i know it isnt specific to this run (and even before i got the seeds i had read about it).

but im also fully aware that my environment might have pushed them over a sensitive threshold that other wise, it would have been a lesser or no situation case.

edit to reflect the 2017 run was F2

11 Likes

For me all the Goji OG F1 females from my pack purchased in 2015 were stable and showed no intersex traits. In 2017 I made some F2s with a tall sativa totem pole pheno with very little odor. On more than one occasion testing these F2s intersex traits were present at a very high percentage. I made a different set of F2s in 2021 that appear stable so far but more tests will prove whether or not they actually are. To me the purpose of all these Goji seed-runs was to preserve a deadline, not to market a stable reproduction so it’s not really surprising to me when you consider the goal of the project. Disappointing when you wind up with herms for sure, but it’s bound to happen with an open pollination these (OG) genetics in my opinion.

12 Likes

for sure, thats why i gave them their own space and let them finish. ill have to smoke them, but theres two of them that i have hi gh hopes for reveg and try again… and from the ones that didnt hermie, i already pulled clones. so preserved they will! lol

4 Likes

Judging from any one individual, its very hard to say conclusively that a strain is stable, especially if their room is dialed in and not stressing the plants.

From what I’ve seen the goji is a bit sensitive. Not unstable, per se, but given a little stress and she can be quick to flip sides.

All of this is up above in real time, but the quick rundown is this. My run of F1’s was done in a medium well insulated shed during a cold New England winter. So they got some cold and humidity stress (occasional extreme dips beyond my control). But I always stress my breeding projects some, cause I want to know which plants might have the tendency to herm.

So, w my cold temps I expect to get more males at initial flip. Cause I don’t think sex in cannabis is entirely determined genetically. This played out true. I got 6 males and 4 females, I flipped at four weeks (which is premature imo and also stresses a plant). Girls were kept in a tent in the shed (better environment controls) males were kept outside the tent in the shed (less control, more extreme swings).

Of the six initial males 3 put out pistils after a couple weeks of flower time, they were culled, but clones were kept. This was well before they were putting out pollens, and 2 weeks before the three solid males got to go back into the tent w the girls. (Interesting note, one of the three that were culled for sacs and pistils; I ran it’s clone for sensi, and it remained a girl and was the biggest most vigorous of my clones)

A fourth herm occurred in one of my four flowering girls at about 5weeks flower, this one tossed out three nanners after a couple really cold dips down to about 38 degrees. I removed this plant to my house at this time and did not include its seed in the coop run. Though I kept it going in the window and it finished up w no more issues.

So that’s what happened in my fairly high stress environment. At the same time 9 others were doing Goji runs for the coop and at least half had one or two herms show up. These types of numbers don’t say “unstable” to me, but sensitive imo. And worth letting people know what to expect. Great care was taken in all the goji runs to make sure herms were removed, so we tried to make sure to minimize further herms in the F2 Gen. We’ll just have to see as more people grow these out, how well we did.

I encouraged @the_bot to post this cause I think it’s valuable information. Not to scare people away from growing the Goji, but to crowdsource as much info as possible.

Thanks also for your input @Jetdro i really love the goji smoke so, I’ll be happily trying to catch up to your 50! CheersOG:)

18 Likes

My takeaway from this run; goji is excellent slightly sweet to earthy sour Kush smoke, that everyone should try at least once! Just take a little extra care to keep her feet warm and don’t push the nutrients too hard.

17 Likes

Yup, gender in cannabis is a phenotypic expression, not a genetic thing, so its determined after the seed sprouts.

1 Like

I disagree sir. The sex of the plant is set at pollination. XX,XY just like humans. Through inbreeding, back breeding and wild crosses the stability of some plants can be compromised to create true genetic hermaphrodites, but typically what I’ve seen most people call “herming” is actually “rodelization”. Senescence and or stress induced pollen production. A male cannot be made female but a female can have and or be made to form pollen sacs.

4 Likes

@joheimgrohen I could be convinced that it is females that switch to herms and true males will not turn female. That is how I see it, and it’s the reason that I always stress my males out. Cause the shape shifters will usually show themselves:)

4 Likes

That’s it exactly. To my knowledge, there is no way to get a male plant to produce a female flower. But through stress, chemical application or even just long time in flower can cause a female plant to produce pollen to continue her genetic lines.

3 Likes

With application of the right hormones, I think people have started flipping actual males to female. But I don’t think it happens through normal stress

2 Likes

Ethephon spray can be used to reverse male plants.

The seeds from reversed males will be

XY x XY

That gives 25% XX, 50% XY, and 25% YY.

The YY plants are “super males”. They will only contribute Y when pollinating, so they only produce male offspring. For this reason it’s not advisable.

I’ve never reversed a male before. Just read about it.

11 Likes

Learn something new everyday. That term “super male” is scary.

2 Likes

That is fact, NOT enviroment. Farmer Freeman sexed my plants from coty;s at 7 days of age.

6 Likes

I have used them for years and only had an issue with one test.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Only used them once, 20 for 20 , no wrong identification

3 Likes