Gonna try an outdoor grow in an octopot

Yeah I’m not too worried I tried this to learn something new. :+1:

1 Like

Today’s update:

The dirt plant neighbor got her first LST today:

Next week it’s finally supposed to be sunny and in the eighties. Hopeful that the ladies will make some headway then. :wink:

6 Likes

I just got home from 2 days in Vegas. Looks like she grew a smidge when I was gone. :sun_with_face:

She’d better have a heck of a stretch because I’m seeing lots of preflower pistols showing up.

5 Likes

So question for the octopot vets here:

If I had to guess, I’d say my tank has between 3 and 4 gallons of GH 3 part nutes that I’ve mixed up for mid veg. Been using 5ml micro, 5ml grow, 3.5ml bloom, 5ml cal mag per gallon of RH water.

If my plant enters full flower mode soon/next week, how do I handle the feeding for flower with liquid nutrients already in the tank?

I figured I could pump the stuff out of there and mix up a fresh batch of nutrients for flower. Doesn’t seem too “efficient” and maybe a little unnecessary?

…or I could just top off the tank with a gallon or two of nutes mixed for flower…

…or I could just add a few ml’s of GH bloom and maybe some more cal mag to the liquid mix already in the tank?

When I last checked the PPM’s in the res after the last fill I was in the high 800’s.

How would y’all proceed from here?

1 Like

Forgot to add:

Here’s the plant today. Other than being small, I think she looks awesome! :smiley:

6 Likes

When I transition from one nute to the next, I’ll wait for the reservoir to be at least half empty, then mix in the new one at a lesser strength. I’ll let the plant consume that mix, and wait for it to drink until the volume gets very low. At that point it gets a full dose of the new nute.

I don’t measure ppm/ec. When I mix a 5 gallon bucket of nutrient solution, I add 1 TBSP nutes (Jack’s), 1 TBSP cal/mag, 1 TBSP pHdown (then test the pH with drops to make sure it’s around 6.0).

4 Likes

Here’s a picture I just snapped after doing a little LST.

The great thing about this grow is anything I get will be a bonus I’m just doing this to learn new stuff.

5 Likes

Looks like she’s gonna start pushing flowers no matter how many times I asked her to hold up

Can’t complain about a healthy plant no matter how small she is. :thinking:

4 Likes

That was fast… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wonder if it will do something goofy like reveg later as well…

Cheers
G

Well the last two nights it got cold here again. This morning I saw 46 on my thermometer.

Plants are still doing OK. Just not growing very much. Been a weird spring here. Pretty cold and windy for a typical AZ March.

The dirt plant got a batch of “Xtreme gardening” brand of compost tea that I brewed for 2 days. She was starting to get in to the zone before the last couple nights. Just trained a few branches and snapped a picture while I had the cat defense system temporarily down. :smiley:

If you’re wondering what all that white powder is, it’s D.E. Been using it to try to keep the bugs away from my tiny plants.

4 Likes

Well she’s still not very big but I’ll be darned if I’m gonna give up on a healthy midget.

The tank got down to about half full (last watered 3/11), so I added a gallon of 1050ppm early flower gh mix to the tank today.

2 Likes

Past two days have been sunny here.

She’s starting to find her groove! :sun_behind_small_cloud:

3 Likes

Maybe her feet finally got into the res and she’s gonna explode now

1 Like

The great thing about making these threads is you don’t really notice how much the plant has grown until you look at old pictures.

The dirt plant looks like she’s transitioning to flower:

I’ll take small and healthy plants over big and sick plants any day! :+1:

3 Likes

Picture doesn’t do it justice.

She’s grown a LOT the last 2 days. Gave her a gallon of week #2 GH flower nutes today. 1030ppm.

It’s supposed to be 93 degrees today. Weather forecast says 99 degrees next Monday. I bet she handles it like a champ!

2 Likes

Easter Sunday! Let’s put that plant to good use!

Don’t see it?

It just hit 97 today. She’s taking the dry heat like a champ. Seems to love it.

2 Likes

If you want to see something neat, check the leaf temps with an IR temperature gun… :exploding_head:

Cheers
G

1 Like

Did a little light defoliation she’s been in flower roughly two weeks. If you follow the main branch what would have been the main cola is now a parade of little future budsites.

3 Likes

I love your sun box

A few weeks ago, we were having 40-45mph wind gusts I was sweating something bad happening to my play plants. Figured more weight to keep the wind going around is a good thing. :smiley:

Really surprised how clean the tank is. A couple weeks ago I dropped my PPM pen in the testing hole and had to take everything apart to fish it out. Hard to believe that standing water can stay that clean outside it blows my mind a little.

1 Like