Government Cannabis - failing to understand the label?

I might be having a mindfuck, or a senior’s moment even though I’m not a senior.

My brother in law came to visit and brought some government pot with a label. Here it is:

Now, as I know it GWS is an indica with low CBD. That’s not the issue though

What do those different %mean? Is it 7%? 0.57%? Or inbetween?

I dont get it

7 Likes

Yup, that’s Funny Math to me too.

:eye: :question:

5 Likes

Government-regulated cannabis packaging must display THC and CBD content as two separate figures. The initial, smaller number represents the actual amount of THC or CBD contained in the dried cannabis. The second, larger per cent figure represents how much THC or CBD the cannabis yields after the cannabinoids are activated by heat (for example, by smoking, vaporizing or cooking it). In other words, it’s the larger figure that really matters to consumers.

7 Likes

Nice thanks! I’ll be in kamloops this Thursday, will stop in and take a look maybe buy something cbd-rich

3 Likes

Are there THCa and CBDa numbers? Here they will label THCa and THC differently. The THC is usually very low and indicates it is “fresh” as it ages, the THCa will loose the acid portion, turning to THC, and finally CBN.

4 Likes

Sort of.

The package lists “THC” (small number) which is the available THC in raw form.

Then it lists Total THC (larger number) which is the total THC + THCA (released when burned/vaped/cooked).

It does not specifically list THCA, but it is easy to calculate it by subtracting THC from Total THC.

All this ditto for CBD and CBDA.

5 Likes

It should be THCa * 0.877 = total THC
This takes into account the loss of the caboxyl acid group.

5 Likes

confusing, messy work? what else would one expect from a government agency?

2 Likes

I always try to make my labels easy to understand.

Strain: Blueberry :large_blue_circle:
THC : plenty
CBD : nah’
Funky : 100%

7 Likes

yeah it lists THC and total THC represents the full potential amount after decarboxylation … my aphria labels showed actual thc and potential thc so to calculate THCa you would need to subtract THC from total, then divide the remainder by 0.877

i.e. 7-0.57=6.43
6.43/0.877=7.33% THCa

edit: it appears there’s no standardized method … aphria and cannafarms report the total potential after decarboxylation … tilray seems to just add THC+THCa because it’s a higher number, so i guess it depends on the producer. from tilrays site:

Health Canada regulations (MMPR) require Licensed Producers to report the total THC and CBD content of each batch; however, the regulations are unclear on the distinction between the acidic and neutral forms. In order to ensure full compliance, and after discussion with Health Canada inspectors, we report the total THC and total CBD as a combination of the acidic and neutral forms of THC and CBD

4 Likes

Thanks y’all for explaining. Making a little more sense now. It’s pretty cool that they require labeling, but unlike with alcohol I see that it is not as easy.

They should totally do this for booze too then. I’d like to know proportion of methanol in my Slivovica vs Vodka, not just ethanol. Also diacetyl and acetone please. The quality of my hangovers depends on it!

In all seriousness, good on them for measuring and posting. And once again thank you for getting into it.

4 Likes

I just want to get high, not take a math quiz!

7 Likes

So I was in your neck of the woods today @cogitech, went to the government store

Bought some 1:2 thc:cbd

Paid $33.50 for an 8th

Took a few tokes, quite pleasant and I didn’t green out!

Nice store. And nice to try something new. And it wasn’t complete shit. Poorly trimmed but quite OK!

1 Like

Glad you had a chance to visit the store, man! That’s the stuff my dad got. I tried a very low dose from his v-tower and I agree, very pleasant.

1 Like