Grandaddy Purple - Ken's GDP - Legit or BS?

yeah. that would be cool. i certainly want to make some GDP seed. it’s been a goal for 3 yrs trying to get my hands on good cuts.

will certainly keep you in mind when i start producing some seed. would love to do a larger collaboration. could be fun/productive.

2 Likes

I have a bunch of GDP x purple Michoacán beans that I’m excited to sift through one of these days

2 Likes

Macdaddy the clone is a REALLY nice plant. After sorting through 100+ elites this past year, it was one of the standouts

1 Like

I would trust Caleb over a lot of breeders

1 Like

gmo has a cut of GDP - says it’s the NorCal heirloom cut, not Ken’s.

I honestly don’t know much about the lineages and back story, but I’ve always like purple stuff. Many years ago, I got a bag of what I was told was purple nurple. Probably the strongest, best tasting flower I’ve ever had. I will probably be buying a cut of either GDP or purple urkle next year, just trying to decide which.

1 Like

There are several strains going around. Very true I think he did answer his question. I have seen the stuff I’m not too impressed. A little bit expensive. I’ve seen a box set for sale. Like I said, not very impressed. When I think of granddaddy, purple, I think of a nice big purple bud.

(Sorry, doing this on my phone, so linking what i posted before is easier).

Chris was like Mandlebrodt back then - taking the best of whats around NorCal from local elders and making it better.
I think Katsu knew him, or he just really knows Chris’ side of the story really well.
Chris bred GDP using several properties spread around Mendo and Humboldt, to include Round Valley our East - thats why he was doing that deal on the road out to Covelo from Area 101 the night he was killed.
Soon after his murder, someone came to the market with GDP seeds and a cool story. Those then got to Marc Emery who I think made another Fgen to release his own seeds of it. Those who know, say this like that went to market is not Chris’ pure line.

This happened quite a bit to breeders, even just growers, over the years.
Ramped back up real hot during the BHO and early Rec days, then pretty much simmered once prices dropped.
I myself have been swatted, shot at, firebombed. But theres also alt of love and beauty up in them hills. Full-spectrum of humanity.

As far as the lineage, Ive heard all sorts of things.
I sprouted some old Big Bud from Grass Valley, let me find some pics (could only find one)

Thats the Big Bud.
I was really surprised that it has such thin leaves.
But, real Afghans/Pakis do have some NLD stuff that pops out from a pack or two, and some old heads from NorCal told me they crossed Thai and others into their Afghans because otherwise the pure Affy grew far too slow and yielded too little. I agree with that sentiment.

Heres a late Fgen of NorCal GDP

I just saw Calcodankater has what he is calling Humboldt GDP.
Thats an option for ya.

I recommend getting a few lines of GDP and breeding the plants that speak to you.

4 Likes

Couple more of Humboldt GDP

7 Likes

now THAT is a big ass fan leaf!

1 Like

Mel franks GDP run

Here’s my two cents on the GDP thing.

2 Likes

I have a fair amount of info and experience with Ken’s strains and Ken’s gdp in particular. I still have seeds from his original line when he was on hilltop in San Pablo… and that’s where I got the clone direct from Ken.

I met with Ken in 2009 to get the clone… it ended up having spider mites but I wanted this strain so bad that I went to battle with them and killed the mites after several months with various natural treatments.

I grew the clone for close to 10 years and kept it alive until I finally phased it out when I got the clone of cherry pie.

I never got any seeds from the indoor grows of gdp until maybe about 7 years in, I had a light leak and finally got some S1s. I also pulled some S1S seeds from an outdoor harvest.

Ken’s strains are pretty good, but I don’t think he made any of them. My understanding as I heard through the years was that he just took other strains and rebranded them as his own. Bay 11 was really good. Candyland as well, which was supposedly just GSC forum cut. I grew from seed his phantom cookies… and I had a really nice male phantom cookies that I pollinated the Ken’s gdp clone with… and I also pollinated the cherry pie clone with… And subsequently I got another male of cherry pie x phantom cookies that I pollinated the Ken’s gdp clone with as well for a 3 way cross… in fact, I just started germinating some seeds of cherry pie s1, Ken’s gdp s1, and gdp x PC x pie…

Here’s the deal with any seeds you grow… even when his gdp seeds first came out, it was really rare to get one that would be as good as the clone only cut. I don’t know what male he pollinated it with, but it wasn’t stabilized, so the phenos are all over… same thing with cherry pie… the clone only cut of cherry pie looked like it was going to pop seeds every time. It shows pollen sacks in the first few weeks of flower, but they never pollinate… I almost killed it before I read that fact and decided to keep it going on my first run.

Any seeds you buy from Ken, if they’re legit, are probably old for one, and pollinated with some random male he decided to use… your best bet is to grow some S1 seeds that someone has laying around and hope you get a good pheno. I’ve kept my seeds in the fridge forever, but they’re still a good several years old.

As far as the clone only Ken’s gdp… it was fantastic and it was not a small yielder as many people say. It grew like an indica… if you didn’t train it, it would grow as a big main cola (watch out for bud rot, it’s rock hard dense)… it would fade to purple naturally if you let it go 10 weeks/70 days and had the “purple” smell and taste… the clone had very distinct looking leaves… 3 long main leaves and 2 little ones below it… in fact, one of the main traits I noticed was many of them only had 4 leaves… 3 big ones, and one little stub leaf below it. They were long and spaced as well.

It was my favorite strain for a long period of my life… but honestly, I feel like it has its place in history, but there’s plenty of good similar strains these days to rival it and even be better than it… times were a little different back then and strains weren’t as good.

I made this account (I used to have one on the old overgrow that apparently doesn’t exist anymore) just to give you this info… You might be able to find my old threads on rollitup (sidewing Ken’s gdp) if you want to see some pics of it growing.

5 Likes

Lurker here learning a lot from you. Thanks, brother.

1 Like

Thanks @sidewing

I think the problem is, after Ken’s shady behaviour, it is problematic and tricky to verify a cut with his name attached to it.

I think most people now seek a “norcal gdp” as it won’t be confused with any of Ken’s seeds if you know about the whole thing.

Do you have any pictures handy you could post here?

thanks for the info. appreciate you sharing.

i’m having a real hard time with the kens seeds i got. took me forever to find them and were quite expensive. having much better luck with other cuts of GDP. going to continue through the pack. 7 seeds left of a 10 pack. the first 3 all were dismally weak/disappointing.

i think i lucked out trading with a canadian breeder i met on RIU who had some GDP IBL F2s he made of what looks to me like a norcal cut GDP. so far have only got males… still working through that pack too.

i have one GDP clone mom i selected and been running for close to 3yrs now. works great for my mother in law. need to self it and breed it. those projects are coming up.

the shoreline cut GDP has been solid as well. looking for a good male, all the females have been fantastic.

thanks again for stoppin’ by. appreciate you.

3 Likes

I dug these up from one of my old threads on rollitup… (sharing modified subcool supersoil)… and i took 1 pic from a thread on thcfarmer that has legit pics of it… i did most of my threads on riddlem3 forum which was private and appears to not be up anymore i guess. Other than these, I’d have to dig on my old PC to see if I have anymore… But if you have any pics, I can spot Ken’s by the look of it… the fan leaves stems are real long and away from the bud… and they have those 2 tiny little side fingers like shown… I had the purple urkle clone at one point in the past and urkle had the same leaf look. Urkle was great but yielded so so little. I ordered some purple urkle seeds not long ago and it wasn’t like the one back in the day.

3 Likes

That’s the Ken’s gdp in the back.

I have 3 more pics I can upload, but I’ll need someone to reply cause I’ve hit my consecutive post limit lol

1 Like

i have seen this leaf structure.

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes