Grape Ape project

u talking about the marine? i got a few of his strains. he is a great guy.

3 Likes

Jet i yried topm uand after i typed the message and tried to send it it said canā€™t send emptyā€¦

that bites broā€¦ i got some pruple punch, paid $17 per seedā€¦ all were trash. it happens. im not deterred thoughā€¦ will keep on looking.
grape ape/granddaddy purple is a great strain.
i would just get the GDP from Estes ā€¦and just bite the bullet and pay his priceā€¦

apothecary and icemasters work is badass, i highly recomendā€¦ but they havnet dropped new seeds in a while. any stock u find at online retailers will be 2 years or olderā€¦ so keep in mind to germ an entire pack, bc not all may germinate.
if u can get a cut, then i would do thatā€¦ Estesā€™ seeds are fem, so unless u want to hunt through seeds, i would just get a cut from Apothecary.

Old school jams is awesome, its og/grape ape. Some versions of godbud are that as well (og x gdp or grape ape). Archive made a badass gpd x faceoff (grape smmuggler), if u can find thatā€¦ DJ shorts grape krush is also a winner.

2 Likes

OUCH 400 buck 10 packs!

Estes did not make the grandaddy purple and by far not the only one with those genetics, he was one of the first to tell a tale and spread the genetics. The pure grandaddy is a garbage plant in my opinion, way to small of a yeild outdoors and super prone to bud rot. I have some grandaddy x (grandaddy Ɨ cherry pie) from a trusted source, I also have two packs of Djs grape krush I plan on hunting threw in the spring. This was just out of curiosity to see if the beans I was gifted were any good.

2 Likes

no shit? i had no ideaā€¦ he presents it as his own creationā€¦ thats not cool man.

it makes sense thoughā€¦ many strains were brought to the public by someone other than the creatorā€¦

i guess its better for outcrossingā€¦ the hybrids ive encountered all performed well.
sometimes pet projects dont pan outā€¦ it happensā€¦hopefully u can pull a solid Krush in the spring bro

Watch the video on youtube where he explains how he got it, something about a seed or clone gifted to him during a visit to a reservation in northern california. He might have been the first to push that pheno, but alot of people beleive it to be a bag seed from some grape ape or a related breeding project.

1 Like

RareDanknessGenetics has some Grape Ape x Nevils wreck. Grape phenoms of it were very grape. :v:

2 Likes

so grape ape is not a synonym of gdp? gdp is from native americans? sounds like estes owes some royalties to someoneā€¦ or, at least be more vocal about acknowledging the sourceā€¦

where does purple urkle, mendo purps fit in? they are precursors to gdp, right?

The first time I ever saw granddaddy I was told it was a four way cross of the four popular purples at the time, mendo purps, grape ape, sr71 purple kush, I forget the other I think lavender or purple erkle. Idk could all be bullshit and it could just be a pheno of grape ape, they defiently have very similar floral formation. Iā€™ll try and find the video where estes talks about it coming from a native who gave him beans. The story is quite a bit more entertaining then that. It on youtube if you wanna search for it. It shows him in a club talking about the origins. In all honesty he is a man in a wheel chair who was one of the early people to get a script and other people used it and him to grow alot of herb for the bay area med scene, he took risks when alot of other people were still scared to. The true genetics of grandaddy will remain a mystery as is true with so many other strains. It wasent that long ago that people were unable able to take credit for there work and with legalization alot of people are trying to cash in by laying claim or involvement in the creation of alot of great strains. In reality there werenā€™t alot of people involved pre1996 and alot of the great genetics were acquired and stabilized by people who have either passed away, got locked away, or moved far away. When the medical scene first kicked off people were popping beans left and right making moms to make clones, alot of grow ops and clubs got shut down as fast as they got started and alot of genetics and there history got quickly muddled up. I myself would guess it was a purple afghan mixed with a purple hindu but who knows .

3 Likes

Just saying the genetics are not his and are common in norcal , I wouldent pay more then $100 for any beans though unless they were dam special.

5 Likes

Granddaddy purple was out well before grape ape itā€™s a cross of purple urkle and big bud I believe it was formed while trying to add yield to purple urkleā€¦not really sure what Ken was talking about Indians this is second time Iā€™ve heard that but this is completely contrary to what he has said in the past and what the original website used to say the site no longer seems to exist granddaddypurps.com

3 Likes

https://www.midweeksong.com/seed-bank/grand-daddy-purp

Here is a link to his seeds I find it odd that he has since removed the lineage from the description I remember it pretty clearly Iā€™m guessing to keep copycats from reproducing or just magical Indian seeds salesman hype idk the only strain they have that Iā€™ve grown out is candyland and it was dank ā€¦GDP was never that great in my book

2 Likes

being from the SF, I always heard the northern california reservation story. I think it is pretty likely gdp is genetics Ken acquired from a single source, but no one ever knew exactly what its lineage was. I think his speculation about a skunk pheno, or possibly some kind of unknown hybrid between import afghani and whatever commercial genetics they were cultivating at the time is likely to be pretty close.

regardless of the actual origin, he definitely left his mark on that strain through multiple generations of breeding selecting for his medical needs, primarily appetite stimulus and pain relief.

I had heard that he specifically lists big bud x purple urkle on the packs as a total red herring to prevent duplication. I guess the ā€˜alfred hitchcock presentsā€™ music in the interview is pretty appropriate if thatā€™s the case. I never thought it resembled big bud at all. I definitely think itā€™s related to urkle, but I think itā€™s more likely to be a genetic predecessor/ forebearer, or a more heavily worked variation from farther down the genetic line.

Thereā€™s a great edition of the potcast on soundcloud about the origins of urkle, which was grown by a single humboldt family for years, but the genetics had always been unknown.

3 Likes

I have a few hundred of some supposid Grape Ape crosses where a Male Grape Ape pollinated a mix of females (Humboldt, circa 2011-12 season or earlier from a person I have lost touch with, Tree).

I have never had pure Grape Ape, so I canā€™t speak to how they rank next to it. But I have grown a couple handfuls Out, and there is some interesting stuff in there (at least to me).

SWIM is running some now to make sure they are still alive, and make some fresh seed. But the originals are still ok, with ~80% germ or better. If you want to grow any DM me.

5 Likes

I apreciate the offer but Iā€™ll pass, I have alot of different strains to work threw already. I would consider getting some seeds of it in original form but Iā€™m broke atm.

2 Likes