9 Likes

Was it ever fun? Lol

1 Like

Driving it was fun… but . That’s kind of it lol

2 Likes

You’ll enjoy showing it off when she’s done though :ok_hand:

2 Likes

You look and sound like me with my truck :frowning:

I have no enthusiasm to work on it. Forced myself today to do an hour on it. Ground off the rivets holding the spare tire holder onto through frame. I am going to replace it with some angle iron and weld it together.

My welding is not brilliant, the truck bed got welded bits in but it looked horrible so I fiber glassed over it as well :joy:

What’s that white cone thing that is bolted on top of the spare wheel frame under the bed on a ford ranger. There is also a plastic box thing with a 3 inch wide tube in it, with rubber tubes attached to it, curious to no what that does as well if you know.

I have 3 big holes in the frame that will need welding as well, it needs to be a stick welder the mig welder I am using is not man enough to do 3/8 steel :persevere:

1 Like

A long time ago when I first started an old guy told me “don’t make your hobby a career or you won’t want to do it as a hobby” … hes partially right… but damn, parts discounts and unlimited free hoist time is a hell of a thing lol.

Lol I tried welding a new rocker panel to my jeep when I was like 17… the scabbiest shit welds, and s bunch of screws later I just slathered over it with kitty hair and carried on lol didn’t even sand it

Are you referring to the spare tire mechanism that cranks it up to hold it? Or is it your evap canister?

2 Likes

Agreed. And then you cry because you’ve ruined your hobby.

It happened to me.

1 Like

Yes now you say that, it does look like it could be a winch weel behind the funnel thing. It did have a heavy metal type rope running through the locking wing nut and spring, up to the plastic cone thing. I thought it might be the horn lol, but there is no electrical wires on it.

Yeah that sounds like the other thing I wasn’t sure what it’s purpose is.

1 Like

Its purpose in life is to turn on your engine light because its a dick

5 Likes

Ranger frames are only 3/16" thick at most. As long as you and your welding machine can handle that your good to go.

2 Likes

Ok cheers, its got fatter with all the water its absorbed to make the rust lol, once I get the grinder on it and remove the rust I will give the mig a go on it and see if I get full penetration through to the other side.

2 Likes

Ok so I can toss the cone thing as I don’t need the spare tire fixed under the truck, I have a full size wheel I carry in the back.

I just need to make a frame for the cannister thing to sit in and attach it to the cross brace I am making. That makes life a bit easier.

2 Likes

Fuck bodyshops, fuck paying people to do worse work than you could do your self. Fuck I’m pissed.

Rant over, that is all

4 Likes

I hate paying out money to other people for jobs I need doing, it’s only if I can’t get the tools to do the job because they are to expensive I have to capitulate. Fabricated my cross braces yesterday, just have to drill the bolt holes in the braces for where the rivets went through the frame and then re attach the cannister after painting them today.

That’s just going to leave the holes in the frame to weld up. The mig struggled with 1/8 angle iron so I definitely think a stick is needed for it :frowning:

That leaves 4 suspension struts and 2 brake line connectors to replace and bleed the brakes. Hoping the roters are not toast now, it’s been sitting 5 months they got some heavy rust on them :persevere:

5 Likes

The price we pay for our big boy toys eh? I went out to my Jeep the other night and noticed gear oil under it. Guess I know what is making that clunking noise at low speed. Looks like someone will be doing another diff (front) this year.

7 Likes

The whole reason I paid professionals is so I didn’t have to live with easily deallt with shit for a pro. From a business stand point they would have been smart to go above and beyond for the advertising factor… we get customers constantly asking where to go for body work… up until now we recommended this shop. Plus being a foxbody I will get endless questions on where I got it painted…I can’t recommend them at this point! I shouldn’t be staring at my freshly painted car thinking “the next time I get it painted…”

4 Likes

I need better hobbies… like meth or heroin.
I can’t even buy a set of headlights with out em being dicked. The one reflector looks like the googly eyed offspring of a guy finding a girlfriend at a family reunion

4 Likes

Just don’t get into model trains. That shit gets expensive.

3 Likes

I know a guy…

2 Likes

Or collecting stamps, baseball cards!! :flushed:

2 Likes