Greasy's Journal

Outdoor plants in their final pots. I was scrolling through my journal and looking at my outdoor plants and they sure were a lot bigger this time last year! They’ve got about 5 weeks of veg now before they’ll transition to flower. I do have height restrictions, so maybe it’ll be a blessing in disguise if the gojis have a 3x stretch.

16 Likes

Hell yeah! I’ve always wanted to get a compost pile going but I don’t have the space. Worm bin seems like the next logical progression.

Really looking forward to see these all flower out, especially that sherb x wedding cake!

6 Likes

You should totally do a worm bin! I found a used can o worms on craiglist for cheap, but now that I’ve been doing it a few years, I don’t know if it’s really necessary to buy a specialized worm bin, when you can probably just use a tote. Having fresh castings on hand is pretty sweet, and the worms are pretty fun to take care of. I get a kick out of feeding them, and seeing the population grow.

9 Likes

@NorthNorthNugs i agree with @Greasy 100%! I did a short tutorial on my latest diy worm bin over on the SIP thread, but there are tutorials everywhere. Worms for the win!

8 Likes

Haha I would totally be the same.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Mothers Milk F2 Winter Outdoor Smoke Report - @Olereynard/Motz

Bud Shots:
At 52 days flowering

Sunlight

Flash

Bag appeal:
Nice and frosty for winter outdoor. I would like to run these again in ideal conditions. Tried for this summer and didn’t get any females.

Smell and taste:
OG scent on this one. Lemon peel scented with some chem to it. The smoke itself is more chemically than it smells, and sweet at the same time. Very similar flavor actually to my Pura Vida F2 S1. Guessing that comes from the Appalachia male?

Potency and effects:
Potency is above average on this one. Don’t need a ton to get the job done. The epitome of a true 50/50 hybrid. Head a little bit in the clouds, but still functional if need be. The effects of this strain go whichever way you are looking. It’s calming and slows you down, so that if you don’t feel like doing much, it works great for that, but it doesn’t inhibit me from being active, and goes well with it. Went to see a dead cover band this past weekend, electric waste band, and it was very up and great for grooving out. I can be just as satisfied wake and baking with this or late in the evening. Really well rounded, therapeutic bud!

Overall:
Great strain! A full flavored OG like strain without the couch lock, or the intensity that I find in TK crosses. Almost a mellow OG? Definitely want to grow more, and looking forward to seeing it reproduced in the Co-Op so it can spread over Overgrow. Can’t wait to see how it compares to the Goji OG F2’s, who share the same original Mother Nepali OG.

19 Likes

I’ve got a minor infestation of thrips. Been doing weekly Dr Zymes sprays, but am going to step it up and follow the instructions on the bottle to spray three days in a row. I was curious if others who get thrips remove the damaged or infested leaves, or just let their ipm recipes do the work, and let the leaves be?

I pulled off a couple lower fans that had it the worst

If the Zymes doesn’t knock it out I’ll use spinosad as it definitely works, I just like to use it sparingly even indoors

Plants are still looking pretty good I just want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse

15 Likes

I’d put some yellow sticky paper around the pots to stop the flying adults. Then give the Dr. Zymes a try as you described. I’ve not dealt with them that way. I’ve used spinosad and it always knocks them out, but I understand the hesitancy. This early in veg I wouldn’t be too concerned though.

10 Likes

Thank you for the advice @schmarmpit ! I just put out some sticky traps in there. I didn’t actually know what an adult thrip looked like, and that they become flyers. When removing the leaves earlier I found one, killed it, and had assumed it was just a moth.

9 Likes

I remove all infected leaves as they bronze and yellow and die they will attack and be attracted to the plants more are you also doing a soil Drench of the zymes because thrips have a part of there cycle that lives in the soil I found with a minor infestation a 3 day treatment tends to clear them up also if wanting to be extra clean with it and not use spinosad amblyseius cucumeris Eat the shit out of some thrips and as @schmarmpit said yellow or blue sticky traps to catch adults :+1: I hate thrips been dealing with them outdoors on and off all season and had a minor infestation indoors a few runs ago

8 Likes

I definitely share the view that Spinosad in veg should be very safe but understand everyone has their own approach. If Spinosad isn’t an acceptable route then predators are a good alternative. Predatory mites such as cucumeris (suggested by @DesertHeartGardens ) are supposed to be fairly effective & lacewing larvae may be a decent alternative or addition as well.

Similarly for any adult or pupal stage thrips in the soil : Rove beetles, entomopathogenic nematodes (Steinernema feltiae) and predatory soil mites like Hypoaspis (Stratiolaelaps scimitus Womersley) are good preventatives as well to keep them from coming back. Any predators you order are likely going to require overnight shipping adding more expenses to consider. Good luck!

7 Likes

Thanks for the responses @DesertHeartGardens and @syzygy!

I have been spraying over the soil as well, but that makes sense to remove any of the yellowing leaves.

I think I’m making things harder than they need to be. The main reason I wanted to use Dr Zymes in veg was that I am not comfortable using spinosad at all on my outdoor plants for the health of bees, and I was hoping to keep both indoor and outdoor on the same IPM schedule. Both indoor and outdoor sets of plants have thrips, as they got them when they were started outdoors, and I was remiss in starting my IPM routine early in their lives. I’ll go ahead and use Spinosad on my indoor plants because I know it works and will knock things out, and I can work on the Dr. Zymes routine for outdoor, where it seems less of an issue to have a mild infestation of thrips. I do have an organic nursery near me that I can buy predatory bugs, so can avoid the overnight shipping, but being that the tent is in my bedroom, I think I would like to keep predatory bugs as a last resort so I don’t get any escapees.

10 Likes

Looking really good I got a tent with some growing as well just don’t have many seeds at the moment but hopefully soon and then I’ll fill my tent full.

4 Likes

Thanks for stopping by, and the kind words. If you want some seeds immediately I have a pack of Blue Dream x Mendo Breath x Blueberry Muffin x Vintage Blueberry sitting on my counter I can send your way if you PM me an address.

8 Likes

Did ya get the pm?

1 Like

Beautiful hope to see plenty more pics of your grows.

1 Like

Think I found a mature thrip under a pot. Been looking at a lot on Google, and I haven’t found a perfect match, but it seems to fit pretty closely to some photos I’m finding.

4 Likes

Doesn’t look like any of the thrips that I’ve seen on ornamental plants (slender with narrow wings on top of back and usually found hiding alongside the leaf veins).

3 Likes

Nah, that’s some kind of beetle. Here are adult thrips next to their larvae. They are small and look more like fungus gnats flying around.

7 Likes