Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

Thanks for that. I better check my older stuff.

1 Like

I put meters back in them but they all had the right feel. I left some of my first test buds in them to see how they do over months. I should have left the meters in just in case but I didn’t.

This is definitely good for me to know; I’m a desert rat, so regularly in the teens as far as RH. After reading here, I was thinking these would solve my hydration issues, but in this climate I guess there’s no one solution.

2 Likes

Put them inside a Grove Bag, inside a jar, inside a sealed ammo box. Problem solved. Easy peezy!
Always
:thinking:
lol

3 Likes

Don’t forget the last step: bury it.

3 Likes

I thought that was implied. :laughing:

2 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures
You must be a prepper. :laughing:
Not a bad thing to be, I’m thinking.
Use PVC piping though. That’s harder for “them” to find. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The other thing I’ll note is that once a boveda is tossed in it’s definitely doing some heavy lifting cause I’ve had to replace crunchy ones a few times.

4 Likes

I mean, I was a boy scout, and I learned the motto well! Got my bug out bag, and med kit by my bedroom door, veg garden out back, seed vault (not just weed :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Just makes sense to me in these wild ass times!

That’s every 2 weeks out here, even in glass jars! Extra bovedas and a larger mass of plant material per jar is the only way I can regulate properly.

3 Likes

Sealed mason jars and you still have to change bovidas every 2 weeks? That seems strange, with them being air tight why would the RH outside the jar matter?

3 Likes

What he said. :point_up:

:man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:
It feels like unless the jar is totally full, it overdries out here in Arizona. Maybe @AzSeaindooin420 or @AZsensi can weigh in, but powdered weed out here is the norm unless you have a way to reintroduce moisture consistently ime.
Maybe shortening the burp process would help more; I’ll post my process after harvest, and maybe you guys can point out the issue.

4 Likes

I was just doing some reading, and it appears canning jars are not really airtight unless a vacuum is created within the jar as a result of the canning process. Even though the gasket limits exchange of outside air, as conditions change inside the jar and outside, the contents would still be subject to ideal gas law as it attempts to reach equilibrium.
This wouldn’t cause major issues where external environments more closely approximate the jar conditions, but may partially explain the experience I’ve had in the past with drying/curing.
Additionally, it could be that the material is too dry before it enters the jars, making it difficult for the bovedas to equalize moisture levels

6 Likes

Cause it just does Doug, geez :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I don’t know bud. I harvested this stuff around the beginning of March and after burping the jars for a week or two they have been left sealed. The RH in my basement now is 20%. So there is a 38% difference between the inside of the jar and the room it’s in.

7 Likes

Only so many “I don’t know” emojis I can post up :crazy_face:
We can revisit this soon though, cuz I’ll be harvesting in a week or so.

3 Likes

My 2 cents is the lids really matter. I’m pretty OCD about buying fresh rubber lids for my mason jars pretty often as they seem to wear out on me and lose their ability to hold RH after a bit of use. Buying lids got pretty tiring and wasteful feeling so now I actually use and love those ikea jars @Foreigner 's rocking as well. The rubber seal is super thick so the lids never wear out like mason jars and I find RH stays very very consistent in em. It’s the “korken” model I believe.

11 Likes

I can see that, and I think the brand name Ball Mason jars lids are a lot better than the Anchor Hocking at Walmart, those were crazy cheaply made with bubbles in the glass and the lids didn’t have that sticky feel on the seal that the new Ball ones do. I’ve seen people on the forums talking about long-term curing and using the old glass on glass wire bail jars with a fresh rubber gasket and I think those are probably tops.

7 Likes

He’s, right. But I finally found that moist but powdery goodness that I’m looking for in a cure. I do a dry trim with a decent amount of fan leaves left on. Usually takes about 8 days and then I trim them while some of the big stems are still a little bendy. I put them in jars overnight with no lid. I then seal and burp accordingly. The tiny bit of moisture left in the stems with my long burping periods seems to even out the smoke over a period of a couple of weeks. It’s super hard to get humidity here in the desert even with humidifiers

4 Likes

I use the food saver vacuum sealer on mine and I don’t notice any that lose their seal and been using mostly Bernardin Jars. I haven’t bought any of the old ones because I didn’t think the sealer would work on them.

3 Likes