Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

Hey @MoBilly, I finally found a set for reasonable $. I got them at Grow Generation Grow Supply (online, and in a lot of the legal states) last year on my birthday, 4/20. Heh. I never treat myself. Soooo…

These bags are from Bubble Magic and my set is only 3 bags but people told me those are the three best sizes. They’a also full mesh bags, not just the bottom of the bag. I think it makes it easier to drain the water. I still haven’t used them either… :confounded:

I paid less than $30. Let me look them up. I think I get a small discount there for being local which is cool. It usually beats online prices after shipping. I’ll try and get right back with a link.

EDIT: here’s the link. $33. I think I paid around $27.

Bubble Magic Bags

Here’s the Page it came from. You can see the prices of the others.

Grow Generation Bubble Bags

2 Likes

Supposedly there is some gas exchange through the bag membrane, it’s not exactly air tight.

I think it’s a one way membrane or something but I can’t seem to find the article.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. My wife and I will check it out. Please let me know how yours works for you. I would appreciate it if you remember. :slight_smile: I know how mine is. lol

2 Likes

@MumenRyder , The way I figure it is that water molecules are larger than the gas molecules that need to escape for the cure to take place. Terpenes stay on the buds but Chlorophyll … are allowed to escape through the sides of the bags.
At least that is how I understand it all.

4 Likes

Hey all, just an update. I found the bigger bags I received, the 4 oz bag, worked great. I did a little over 4 oz in it with room to spare. I think it would have held another 2 z. It did a nice job curing once I got the humidity correct. These maintain the humidity, they don’t seem to regulate it, but that’s ok once you know that. My buds after a month of cure (60%) in there are delicious, gorgeous, and still have a nice barely spongy feel.
I tried one of the small bags labeled “glassless” for a 1/2 z. I found the bud smelled like Chinese inflatable toys after being in there. So I won’t be using those again. The big ones seem to be legit though.

4 Likes

Most excellent! I have not tried to cure in the small bags but like you I found that the large bags work great. I have a 1/2 lb bag I hope to try soon.

2 Likes

@MumenRyder didnt you just toss some flower in these again?

What process did you use?
How did the Extech moisture meter work?

I am probably a week from chop and want to do a more rigid trial this time around.
Trying to gather info for the Testing protocol.

1 Like

I missed this post before. That’s a good idea. The only reason I don’t like the jars is that small amount of oxygen is still inside and will oxidize the pot eventually.

Those are a little pricey but I’d like to have a couple of dozen. I already have the jars. Have you tried these yet @oleskool830?

1 Like

I received a small sample bag in the mail a few weeks back, threw some fresh dried white grapefruit in sealed it and haven’t opened it since . Going to give it a couple more weeks and see how it is.

Not a jar curing person I prefer vacuum sealing to cure and store so we’ll see if there’s a difference.

5 Likes

I’m still actually working through my harvest, 2 plants at a time.

The wood moisture meter, I really did not like and I ended up returning it.

The readings were too hard to get consistently. The deeper into the stem you push the meter the higher it would read. The readings could be fairly different depending on where you measured. For me, I couldn’t get a consistent reading to work with.

Right now I almost done drying the last of 6 plants.

Each plant I have put half in a bag, and half in a jar.

As you can see above, the RH readings were not good, even when I put a plant I considered “too wet” into a grove bag.

I have had to use Boveda 58 packs in everything right now. Once the humidity inside gets to 58% I remove the Boveda pack, and I am not burping anything (jars or bags.)

The big problem I am having right now is that my ambient humidity is super low.

Here is what I’m doing with my last two plants

• I have these plants drying in a humidity controlled room that stays at 62%.
  • In theory when I bag these up they shouldn’t be lower than that…
  • Today is day 14 of them hang drying.
  • Today or tomorrow hopefully I can put them in grove bags/jars without any packs

They are hanging in a closet like this and have been for 2 weeks:

In about 4-6 weeks I’ll see if I can tell any difference between the plants that have been jarred vs bagged. Even if there is no difference I would consider using the bags simply because they are easier to store and transport than glass jars.

I’ll keep this thread updated with any relevant findings, thanks everyone so far for sharing your experiences.

6 Likes

I started this thread to explore the worth of these bags and I appreciate all the interest and comments you all have shared. I do mean “all” comments, good and bad.

As far as I’m concerned, the bags are a winner. I split up my last harvest into both bags and jars. They both have been developing the same flavor and smell profiles but the bags, in my opinion, get to that clean taste quicker.
So from here on out. I’ll use the bags to do the curing and then vacuum pack and freeze in oz and 1/2 oz packs.
But as I said, as for me, the verdict is in. Grove Bags work great. You don’t have to burp anything, the taste seems to develop faster than in jars, they store well because they lay in nicely in a compartment and don’t take up much room, you don’t have to worry about glass breakage if something is dropped.
But.
To save expense, I would use them for the cure only and keep a humidity meter in it just because I do not, totally, trust zip locks of any kind.

13 Likes

One thing I’m noticing about the bags is that it seems there is some kind of humidity regulation. I don’t mean that it is adding or subtracting humidity, but there is something that seems to keep it the same.

As I mentioned I had to put Boveda humidipacks in my jars and bags to get the humidity up.

The jars rose to the 58% RH within about 8 hours.

It has been about 24 hours now and the bags are finally getting to that 58%.

So it seems like the bags sort of “fight” the packs, which I think is good. It seems to mean they try to stop changes in humidity.

3 Likes

@DougDawson
What have you decided about these bags?

2 Likes

Honestly I haven’t. I jarred my last harvest as it was small due to it being a messed up seed run. I really need to do a bud run so I can compare properly.

2 Likes

Boveda has a new item out - it has terpene packs for your cure - thess are subpost to infuse a specific terpene into your cured pot, there are about 13 different packs. Guess if one want more of a specific terpene just use these packs> what next !!! for better information just go to Boveda just like using orange peelling years ago to help dry-out and if left in jar too long your product taste like orange. ordered a few grove bags and the only thing to consider is order bags larger than you need (ordered 1/4ozbags which were a bit to small for that weight - no big deal just go larger) some one mentioned that that company makes “jerky” bags for comapnies that sell beef jerky -FYI)

2 Likes

My brother @oleskool830 gifted me a pack of them so I’m looking forward to giving them a go. My problem is I don’t have any bud to go in! I still haven’t flipped the current run so it’s a couple of months at least.

Thanks for this thread @MoBilly. Good stuff. peace

2 Likes

They use these bags to dry age beef. They also regulate the moisture exchange without allowing O2 to pass. I suspect they might work similarly, but they are even more expensive than the Grove Bags so I am not bothering with them.

4 Likes

My Proposed Protocol for next round:

• Chop into major branches and hang in tent.
  • Tent will be set to 70F and 63% humidity. (I may have trouble keeping the temp that low)
  • Will experiment with Extech Moisture Meter and attempt to identity and trim at the 11% branch moisture level.
  • Will keep all 4 plants separate and labeled.
  • Will calibrate 3 SensorPush temp/hygrometers.
  • Will take the largest yielding plant and split it into 3 portions, with a SensorPush in each.
    • A grove Bag
    • A Jar
    • Vacuum sealed Food Saver bag.
  • Will place all 3 samples in the same Rubbermaid Tote and observe sensor readings over 2 months.

Any suggestions on how to improve this test?

5 Likes

Looks good to me :+1:

Only thing I might add is when you split the largest plant, try to get big and small buds in each container. I noticed one of my plants this time I accidentally put most the bigger buds in a jar and that jar was a bit higher humidity rating.

5 Likes

I am leery after reading this. Not sure what to expect.

A theory I want to test is to try and repeat the depth of the probe to be in the middle of the branch. I.e try to hit the exact middle of the branch. Hoping maybe I will see more repeatability this way.

2 Likes