Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

Sound plan IMO. I would agree with @MumenRyder though and make sure to give the bags a jostle a couple of times a week.

2 Likes

I definitely thought it would be easier. I tried a few different ways but couldn’t find anything solid.

I think drying with a controlled humidity at 62 is probably the best way to “do it by the numbers”.

In theory you can leave plants hang drying like that for extended periods of time (even a month). I’m still experimenting with that though, so not 100% sure.

Drying my last 2 now at 62% and bagging them tonight. They have been hanging 15 days.

Only fly in the ointment this time is that I let my humidifier run out of water a couple times in the middle of the dry and humidity got down in the low 50s.

I’ll let you know what the RH looks like when I jar/bag these up though.

5 Likes

Which ones did you buy?
There’s to damn many to shop

1 Like

I bought “TerpLoc” bags from grovebags .com @BlackWaterBudd . Mostly I bought 1/4 lb bags but I have some smaller ones that I use for on hand smoke. I was gifted a 1/2 lb bag that I plan to use when I harvest my GDP mother and clone to see how well it works.

4 Likes

Man anything that saves a step is good in my book

There not priced all crazy either that’s a plus

I’m definitely ordering that why I asked hate to get some and then not use them

I just chopped 6 so looking for pound and half of space

4 Likes

The ones I use the most are the 1/4 lb though I’d probably like a few 1/2 lb for bigger plants. The ounce bags fit like 1.5 oz of cured bud IME, that’s what I heat seal and sock away after a month or two of taking buds from the big bags to smoke.

They also sell 5G wicket bags that come in a stack like bread bags at the supermarket, that’s the cheapest method for medium amounts (they make these things up to a SuperSac pallet size). You just twist tie them shut like normal plastic bags but they have the membrane film like the black ones, those are $1.29 each in the build a bag.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Give me an estimate

1 Like

A little more than a lot. :wink:

2 Likes

Ahh. I thought it was you that put me on to these.
I ordered some 1/4 oz bags last night. I’ll post to let you know how I like em.

2 Likes

The 2 plants I bagged yesterday were hung in a drying room for 15 days at 60-62% humidity.

This time I made sure to trim and bag them in the same room where the humidity was controlled to be 60%

I realize one mistake I made last time was finishing up the dry trim and bagging them in a room where the humidity was likely in the low 40s.

The bubblegum plant I harvested turned out a bit bigger than I thought, so I didn’t split this one into jars/bags and instead just used a 1/4 lb bag to put all of it:

There is only a little more than 2 ounces in there.

Notice the humidity reading though is right at 61% and I checked again this morning about 12 hours later and it’s still solid at 61%. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back if the humidity begins to drop.

I think this drying method would be perfect for those using grove bags, thanks @Foreigner for helping me with it.

Grove basically wants you to bag the nugs when they would keep the ambient humidity 58-62%, and this does just that. Now in theory I should be able to just leave the nugs in the bag without any burping etc.

9 Likes

That would be awesome if this works as advertised. I’m terrible when it comes to remembering. Or if I gotta leave town.

3 Likes

So after having a few grows sitting in these bags for 3 months or more, I am mostly sold. I have only tried their QP sized bags.

I tried Bubblegum and Moby Dick in the style that feel like velvet. The MD has strong terps, not my fav terps, but I think the bags did a good job of enhancing it.

The bubblegum I will be honest and say I am not fond of the results. Has kind of a green smell to it. I am not sure if that is the bags fault, but im leaning towards either a mistake I made somewhere, or that I am just not a fan of the pheno I grew.

I also put MAC1 in the black shiny style, with windows. These I did not heat seal because the little RH meters read low, even with a large 62 boveda, in there, it shows about 52. I just took a bud to sample from one, and breaking it up felt perfect. Not overly wet, but sticky and not dry at all. The smell in that bag is like a strong pungent cookies smell, that attacks your nostrils in a good way. (edit: I think the RH meters are off, but even without heat sealing, I am a fan of the results)

I am going to keep using them, and if I do encounter any issues with them, I will post an update.

6 Likes

I’ve got some white grapefruit kush in one of the shiny black with the window been over a month now .
Seems to be curing decent so far maybe a bit less terps than the way I usually cure I also never sealed the bag just zipped it shut.

3 Likes

Bought some to play with guess we will see how i like them.

11 Likes

I usually aim for somewhere around 15% personally, then a nice long slow cool cure. After a few attempts at 11-12% that just weren’t giving me the strong nose & flavour I liked, I now pull them from drying at 15% and find that after the cure (though it does require a little more burping) the overall smell & flavour is far more pronounced when put side by side with the same strain pulled at 11 or 12%.

This is all anecdotal from a limited number of tests to try and dial things in on my end when finishing, so by no means take this as truth or fact. But it seems to be working for me :slight_smile: There might be some other factors that have come into play, I’m no scientist, but figured I would share my experience in case it helped others using the wood moisture meter method on their larger/top colas.

5 Likes

Hey guys how do yall seal your Groove Bags? I seen a you tube where someone used a hot knife. Don’t know if this will work or not.

4 Likes

I got a vacuum sealer from Goodwill for $5 and use the heat sealing strip on that

5 Likes

I’ve heard you can use an iron. Haven’t tried it myself, but If I did I’d try it on the lowest setting to start and maybe put a t-shirt over it.

3 Likes

Great info and reviews in this thread I too wondered if they’re that good and it sounds they are! I’ll definitely be getting a couple to store my medication in!

2 Likes